RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

python plugin

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

python plugin Emanuele Zattin 16 Jan 15:10
  python plugin Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 16 Jan 16:56
  python plugin Sven Neumann 18 Jan 09:07
  python plugin zats66 (sent by Nabble.com) 01 Feb 12:48
Emanuele Zattin
2006-01-16 15:10:56 UTC (over 18 years ago)

python plugin

Hello everybody,
my name is Emanuele Zattin and i'm developing a plug-in implementing a texture synthesis algorithm described in a paper ("Texture Synthesis by Non-parametric sampling" by Efros and Leung). Here attached you can see my actual implementation which works on grayscale images. It is anyway VERY slow, which was anyway predictable judging from the complexity of the algorithm. I was wondering if translating it to C would make it much faster or if there are some more speedup techniques i'm just missing.

Thank you very much!!

Emanuele Zattin

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2006-01-16 16:56:37 UTC (over 18 years ago)

python plugin

On Monday 16 January 2006 12:10 pm, Emanuele Zattin wrote:

Hello everybody,
my name is Emanuele Zattin and i'm developing a plug-in implementing a texture synthesis algorithm described in a paper ("Texture Synthesis by Non-parametric sampling" by Efros and Leung).
Here attached you can see my actual implementation which works on grayscale images. It is anyway VERY slow, which was anyway predictable judging from the complexity of the algorithm. I was wondering if translating it to C would make it much faster or if there are some more speedup techniques i'm just missing.

Thank you very much!!

Emanuele Zattin

Hi Emanuele,

The default way for accessing pixels from python plug-ins is slow. I started researching a faster way a while back, but halted. i think it is important.
I don't have teh time now to check if this is the problem in your cscrpit, but from my previous experience, it is rather likely.

I will take a look at it later, and suggest another way to manipulate the pixels if possible (or if not possible, seeing what can be done on the gimp-python bindings themselves).

Either way, since you already use Numeric, going to C won't be necessary (unless I fail to do all of the above).

Regards, JS
->

Sven Neumann
2006-01-18 09:07:00 UTC (over 18 years ago)

python plugin

Hi,

Emanuele Zattin writes:

my name is Emanuele Zattin and i'm developing a plug-in implementing a texture synthesis algorithm described in a paper ("Texture Synthesis by Non-parametric sampling" by Efros and Leung). Here attached you can see my actual implementation which works on grayscale images. It is anyway VERY slow, which was anyway predictable judging from the complexity of the algorithm. I was wondering if translating it to C would make it much faster or if there are some more speedup techniques i'm just missing.

You could try to speed it up by optimizing your pixel accessors. Perhaps use a RowIterator as is done in the colorxhtml plug-in?

Sven

zats66 (sent by Nabble.com)
2006-02-01 12:48:56 UTC (about 18 years ago)

python plugin

Hi emanuele,

Sorry I cant help you but I am interested in your surname. I too have the same surname and was of the belief that my son and I were the only two left in the world with this family name, obviously not.

If you are interested in replying please do so. For your interest I live in Australia

Thanx David --
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/python-plugin-t928160.html#a2698733 Sent from the Gimp Developer forum at Nabble.com.