RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

how do I build the latest GIMP on Fedora Core 4?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

how do I build the latest GIMP on Fedora Core 4? Brannon King 11 Jan 08:08
  Pine.GSO.4.21.0601111821400... Owen Cook 11 Jan 08:28
   how do I build the latest GIMP on Fedora Core 4? Shlomi Fish 11 Jan 10:38
   how do I build the latest GIMP on Fedora Core 4? Brannon King 11 Jan 18:01
  how do I build the latest GIMP on Fedora Core 4? Sven Neumann 11 Jan 14:25
   how do I build the latest GIMP on Fedora Core 4? Brannon King 11 Jan 17:50
how do I build the latest GIMP on Fedora Core 4? Michael Schumacher 11 Jan 11:49
  how do I build the latest GIMP on Fedora Core 4? Brannon King 11 Jan 17:55
how do I build the latest GIMP on Fedora Core 4? Michael Schumacher 11 Jan 18:33
Brannon King
2006-01-11 08:08:22 UTC (over 18 years ago)

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. Traditionally I'm a Windows programmer though I dual boot Fedora for some rare uses. (I'm open to other distro options!) I tried to compile GIMP 2.3.6 on FC4 the other day. That didn't work: I needed the 2.8 GLIB stuff. I downloaded the source code, etc., for it and compiled GLIB. That worked, but it installed it into usr/local and the GIMP compile still fails. How do I make the GIMP compile read the libraries from the correct location? And I'm not real sure the GLIB compile used the right libraries. Any good references on the matter would be appreciated.

Owen Cook
2006-01-11 08:28:48 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Shlomi Fish
2006-01-11 10:38:11 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On Wednesday 11 January 2006 09:28, Owen Cook wrote:

--

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Brannon King wrote:

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. Traditionally I'm a Windows programmer though I dual boot Fedora for some rare uses. (I'm open to other distro options!) I tried to compile GIMP 2.3.6 on FC4 the other day. That didn't work: I needed the 2.8 GLIB stuff. I downloaded the source code, etc., for it and compiled GLIB. That worked, but it installed it into usr/local and the GIMP compile still fails. How do I make the GIMP compile read the libraries from the correct location? And I'm not real sure the GLIB compile used the right libraries. Any good references on the matter would be appreciated.

You would have needed the latest glib,atk,pango and gtk

They should have been available from Red Hat?

If they weren't you should have built them like

./configure --prefix-/usr

First of all it's:

<<<<
./configure --prefix=/usr

Secondly, this is considered a bad idea. That way, you'll override the files of your RPMs, and mess up your system. Once the RPM is upgraded, you'll lose your files. A better solution would be to either install it under /usr/local and point the GIMP to it, or better yet install it under a unique path (like /usr/local/apps/glib-2.8) and also point the GIMP there. That way, you can remove such installed programs easily once you don't need them.

Regards,

Shlomi Fish

--------------------------------------------------------------------- Shlomi Fish shlomif@iglu.org.il Homepage: http://www.shlomifish.org/

95% of the programmers consider 95% of the code they did not write, in the bottom 5%.

Michael Schumacher
2006-01-11 11:49:00 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Von: Shlomi Fish

A better solution would be to either install it under /usr/local and point the GIMP to it, or better yet install it under a unique path (like /usr/local/apps/glib-2.8) and also point the GIMP there.

s/GIMP/pkg-config/

But this topic is also covered in INSTALL, which is a must-read when compiling GIMP (or any other program, for that matter).

HTH, Michael

Sven Neumann
2006-01-11 14:25:35 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Hi,

"Brannon King" writes:

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/gtk-compiling.html

Sven

Brannon King
2006-01-11 17:50:20 UTC (over 18 years ago)

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/gtk-compiling.html

That link is entirely unhelpful to me. 1) does not the GIMP compile already have that stuff in it? 2) It doesn't tell me how to install glib/gtk to the locations it references 3) It doesn't tell me how to deal with GTK version conflicts 4) It tells me that I "should do" without telling my "why do" or "when do"

Brannon King
2006-01-11 17:55:23 UTC (over 18 years ago)

But this topic is also covered in INSTALL, which is a must-read when

compiling GIMP (or any other program, for that matter).

I read the install but it does not cover how to fix GLIB/GTK conflicts nor does it cover usage of pkg-config. I don't think it should cover those but perhaps it could give some useful references. The document does say to look at the ./configere --help, but I was unable to determine from that list which one I needed to set and what I should set it to.

s/GIMP/pkg-config/

What does that mean? It looks like a find/replace command in Vim, etc.

Brannon King
2006-01-11 18:01:31 UTC (over 18 years ago)

The GLIB 2.8 stuff is available from Redhat but it has numerous dependencies on the FC5 test1 release -- more than is reasonable to update to from FC4.

You would have needed the latest glib,atk,pango and gtk They should have been available from Red Hat? If they weren't you should have built them like ./configure --prefix-/usr
If you read ./configure --help you will see that unless you do this, it

will be built in /usr/local

Now that it is in /usr/local you need to set enviroment variables so that

it picks up that library

Try (presume Fedora is sort of standard linux) export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/:/usr/lib/pkgconfig/ That way it will look at /usr/local before /usr

Thanks. That is exactly what I needed to know.

Michael Schumacher
2006-01-11 18:33:13 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Von: "Brannon King"

I read the install but it does not cover how to fix GLIB/GTK conflicts nor does it cover usage of pkg-config.

Have a look at the section "When ./configure fails"

HTH, Michael