RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

More Windows Newbie Build Problems

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

13 of 13 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Problem With GLIB Chris Share 11 Dec 23:17
  Problem With GLIB Chris Share 11 Dec 23:43
  Problem With GLIB Owen Cook 12 Dec 03:17
   Problem With GLIB Chris Share 12 Dec 10:54
Problem With GLIB Michael Schumacher 12 Dec 11:24
  Problem With GLIB Owen Cook 12 Dec 11:43
   More Windows Newbie Build Problems Chris Share 12 Dec 15:18
More Windows Newbie Build Problems Michael Schumacher 12 Dec 15:30
  More Windows Newbie Build Problems Chris Share 12 Dec 15:45
   More Windows Newbie Build Problems Lance Dockins 12 Dec 18:31
    More Windows Newbie Build Problems Chris Share 12 Dec 23:32
     More Windows Newbie Build Problems Lance Dockins 13 Dec 00:21
     More Windows Newbie Build Problems Michael Schumacher 13 Dec 01:06
Chris Share
2005-12-11 23:17:31 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Problem With GLIB

Hi,

I'm getting the following error when I run CompileGIMPShellScript.sh:

checking for GLIB - version >= 2.8.0... no *** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why... *** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means GLIB is incorrectly installed.
configure: error: Test for GLIB failed. See the file 'INSTALL' for help. OK. Script is finished now.

I suspect that the error is because I don't have the correct version of GLIB.

What libraries do I need to fix this and where do I put them?

Cheers,

Chris

Chris Share
2005-12-11 23:43:46 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Problem With GLIB

I forgot to mention that I have GTK+ 2.8.6rc3 installed.

Cheer

Owen Cook
2005-12-12 03:17:21 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Problem With GLIB

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005, Chris Share wrote:

checking for GLIB - version >= 2.8.0... no *** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why... *** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the
configure: error: Test for GLIB failed. See the file 'INSTALL' for help. OK. Script is finished now.

Your suspicions are correct and as the program is looking for GLIB - version >= 2.8.0 I guess you best install glib-2.8 or better

glib-2.8.4.tar.bz2 is probably the one you are after, found at http://www.gtk.org or direct thru ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/v2.8/

You don't say, but if you are using Windows, then the above advice may not apply.

I surprised gtk-2.8 went on without glib-2.8

Owen

Chris Share
2005-12-12 10:54:31 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Problem With GLIB

Hi,

Yes, I'm using Windows.

I've got the file--where do I put it?

Cheers,

Chris

Owen Cook wrote:

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005, Chris Share wrote:

Your suspicions are correct and as the program is looking for GLIB - version >= 2.8.0 I guess you best install glib-2.8 or better

glib-2.8.4.tar.bz2 is probably the one you are after, found at http://www.gtk.org or direct thru ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/v2.8/

You don't say, but if you are using Windows, then the above advice may not apply.

Owen

Michael Schumacher
2005-12-12 11:24:55 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Problem With GLIB

Von: Owen Cook

http://www.gtk.org or direct thru ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/v2.8/

You get the files from the same source (or preferably a mirror server), there is a win32 subdirectory which contains the binaries.

Hm?

HTH,
Michael

Owen Cook
2005-12-12 11:43:05 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Problem With GLIB

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, Michael Schumacher wrote:

You get the files from the same source (or preferably a mirror server), there is a win32 subdirectory which contains the binaries.

Hm?

Well that was a comment out of ignorance of the modus operandii of Windows

I can't build on my linux unless glib,pango and atk are all there in the appropriate version.

Owen

Chris Share
2005-12-12 15:18:49 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Hi,

I'm trying to build the GIMP on Windows.

I'm using the CompileGimpAtWindowsShellScript however I initially had problems with glib.

As a result I've changed line 37 of the file to:

GTK_PACKAGES="glib-2.8.4 glib-dev-2.8.4...

This gets the build process a bit further, however I'm now getting the following error:

checking for FONTCONFIG... yes checking for PANGOFT2... yes
checking if Pango is version 1.11.0 or newer... no checking if Pango is built with a recent fontconfig... no configure: error:
*** You have a fontconfig >= 2.2.0 installed on your system, but your *** PangoFT2 is using an older version. This old version is probably in *** /usr/X11R6. Look at the above output, and note that the result for *** FONTCONFIG_CFLAGS is not in the result for PANGOFT2_CFLAGS, and that *** there is likely an extra -I line, other than the ones for GLIB, *** Freetype, and Pango itself. That's where your old fontconfig files are. *** Rebuild pango, and make sure that it uses the newer fontconfig. The *** easiest way be sure of this is to simply get rid of the old fontconfig. *** When you rebuild pango, make sure the result for FONTCONFIG_CFLAGS is *** the same as the result here.
OK. Script is finished now.

Any ideas about what I need to do to fix this?

Cheers,

Chris

Michael Schumacher
2005-12-12 15:30:09 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Von: Chris Share

checking if Pango is version 1.11.0 or newer... no checking if Pango is built with a recent fontconfig... no

Get a more current version of Pango. The win32 folders at ftp.gtk.org usually contain all matching versions for a release.

BTW, is this script still maintained? The current problems are probably due to the fact that is was never used to build GIMP 2.3 or directly from CVS, but is there someone who cares for it and adds the latest libs at least?

As a side note, anyone using this script is strongly advised to see it a a convenience script and not something that is required to build GIMP on windows. You should make yourself familiar with it and understand why it does and why it does it - and how you can do the same without it.

HTH, Michael

Chris Share
2005-12-12 15:45:32 UTC (over 18 years ago)

I'm currently using Pango version 1.10.1 which is in the gtk/2.8 folder. There isn't a windows folder in the 2.9 folder however there are later versions of Pango. Should I use one of these?

I don't know anything about the build script. I found it at

http://wiki.gimp.org/gimp/HowToCompileGimp/MicrosoftWindows?highlight=%28windows%29

If this script in only a convenience, what's the recommended way of building the GIMP on Windows?

Cheers,

Chris

Michael Schumacher wrote:

Von: Chris Share

checking if Pango is version 1.11.0 or newer... no checking if Pango is built with a recent fontconfig... no

Get a more current version of Pango. The win32 folders at ftp.gtk.org usually contain all matching versions for a release.

BTW, is this script still maintained? The current problems are probably due to the fact that is was never used to build GIMP 2.3 or directly from CVS, but is there someone who cares for it and adds the latest libs at least?

As a side note, anyone using this script is strongly advised to see it a a convenience script and not something that is required to build GIMP on windows. You should make yourself familiar with it and understand why it does and why it does it - and how you can do the same without it.

HTH, Michael

Lance Dockins
2005-12-12 18:31:41 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Chris Share wrote:

I'm currently using Pango version 1.10.1 which is in the gtk/2.8 folder. There isn't a windows folder in the 2.9 folder however there are later versions of Pango. Should I use one of these?

Chris,
The 2.9 folder is the development version of GTK. 2.8 is the latest stable series of GTK and would be the best version to compile against. In any event, you're not going to find Windows binaries of 2.9 for a while. At least, that's what seems to be typical. Just grab the latest binaries from the 2.8 series. While the latest binary versions of GTK for Windows haven't been posted yet, you should be able to get by with what's available.

http://wiki.gimp.org/gimp/HowToCompileGimp/MicrosoftWindows?highlight=%28windows%29

If this script in only a convenience, what's the recommended way of building the GIMP on Windows?

This script is a convenience tool. As a matter of fact, even the CompileGIMP.sh script is a convenience tool. You could manually follow the instructions from the script to install MSys, MinGW, and ActivePerl to compile GIMP against, but as mentioned previously in this thread, manually building your compile environment can be more troublesome than anything else when compiling in Windows. And CompileGIMP.sh (unless it's been updated recently) only references libraries and files from GTK 2.6. That's fine unless you plan to compile the GIMP 2.3 series from tarball or CVS. They require GTK 2.8.

Hope this helps.

Lance

Chris Share
2005-12-12 23:32:50 UTC (over 18 years ago)

OK, I've grabbed all the latest versions of the libs that I could find.

I'm now getting the following error:

Earlier, the output is as follows:

$ compilegimpshellscript.sh Starting to get build environment for gimp, using gtk 2.6 Testing if wget is available...
OK
Testing if unzip is available...
OK
Downloading GTK-packages...
Already there - extracting glib-2.8.4. Already there - extracting glib-dev-2.8.4. Already there - extracting gtk+-2.8.9. Already there - extracting gtk+-dev-2.8.9. Already there - extracting pango-1.10.1. Already there - extracting pango-dev-1.10.1. Already there - extracting atk-1.10.3. Already there - extracting atk-dev-1.10.3. OK

There seems to be something wrong with glib--any suggestions about how to fix this?

Cheers,

Chris

Lance Dockins wrote:

Chris Share wrote:

Chris,
The 2.9 folder is the development version of GTK. 2.8 is the latest stable series of GTK and would be the best version to compile against. In any event, you're not going to find Windows binaries of 2.9 for a while. At least, that's what seems to be typical. Just grab the latest binaries from the 2.8 series. While the latest binary versions of GTK for Windows haven't been posted yet, you should be able to get by with what's available.

This script is a convenience tool. As a matter of fact, even the CompileGIMP.sh script is a convenience tool. You could manually follow the instructions from the script to install MSys, MinGW, and ActivePerl to compile GIMP against, but as mentioned previously in this thread, manually building your compile environment can be more troublesome than anything else when compiling in Windows. And CompileGIMP.sh (unless it's been updated recently) only references libraries and files from GTK 2.6. That's fine unless you plan to compile the GIMP 2.3 series from tarball or CVS. They require GTK 2.8.

Hope this helps.

Lance

Lance Dockins
2005-12-13 00:21:21 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Chris Share wrote:

OK, I've grabbed all the latest versions of the libs that I could find.

I'm now getting the following error:

Earlier, the output is as follows:

I wish I could say, Chris. The last time I was able to compile GIMP with MinGW and MSys, I was using GLib 2.8.0. When I upgraded to GLib 2.8.3 it stopped working and I never saw fit to try fixing it. Maybe it's a foregone conclusion, but I assumed that it had to be something with GLib 2.8.3+ as it worked fine last time I tried with GLib 2.8.0.

There seems to be something wrong with glib--any suggestions about how to fix this?

Cheers,

Chris

Michael Schumacher
2005-12-13 01:06:12 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Chris Share wrote:

The error message tells your where to look for more information.

BTW, could you reply below the relevant parts of the quotes?

HTH, Michael