RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

P.S.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

10 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

P.S. Chris Share 09 Dec 21:12
  P.S. Carol Spears 09 Dec 21:22
   P.S. Nathan Summers 11 Dec 17:39
    P.S. Chris Share 11 Dec 18:08
     GIMP Tool Found! Chris Share 11 Dec 18:23
     P.S. Michael Schumacher 11 Dec 18:24
      P.S. Kevin Cozens 11 Dec 22:50
       P.S. Chris Share 11 Dec 22:56
        P.S. Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 11 Dec 23:25
       P.S. John Cupitt 12 Dec 00:24
Chris Share
2005-12-09 21:12:01 UTC (over 18 years ago)

P.S.

I forgot to mention I'm working on Windows.

Cheers,

Chris

Carol Spears
2005-12-09 21:22:50 UTC (over 18 years ago)

P.S.

On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 08:12:01PM +0000, Chris Share wrote:

i don't think that you get one then.

gimptool only provides the information about where the files are on your computer. i think (and they reminded me of this on the irc today) that being able to use a Makefile would eliminate the need for gimptool.

you always have the option to build gimp on your own -- nobody has limited you to binary installation of gimp only. only you do that.

carol

Nathan Summers
2005-12-11 17:39:12 UTC (over 18 years ago)

P.S.

On 12/9/05, Carol Spears wrote:

There is a gimptool for windows. If you don't build gimp yourself, it might be available in the hard-to-find gimp development package for windows.

gimptool only provides the information about where the files are on your computer. i think (and they reminded me of this on the irc today) that being able to use a Makefile would eliminate the need for gimptool.

This is true. Gimptool is only a convenience. But if you are going to develop on windows, you definately need msys, a bunch of developer packages for gtk, gettext, etc, and the gimp developer package.

Rockwalrus

Chris Share
2005-12-11 18:08:04 UTC (over 18 years ago)

P.S.

So where do actually get the Windows version of gimptool?

Also, I'm interested in helping out with GIMP development (I'm a programmer and technical writer) but I'd prefer to work on the Windows version. I thought that a good way to start would be to develop a plugin.

I've been doing some reading and it seems that building the GIMP on Windows is very difficult. This is offputting for newbies like myself with a limited amount of time. I'd rather spend by time looking at the code/fixing bugs etc. rather than trying to the thing to build. Having said that, I haven't given up yet :-)

Cheers,

Chris

Nathan Summers wrote:

On 12/9/05, Carol Spears wrote:

There is a gimptool for windows. If you don't build gimp yourself, it might be available in the hard-to-find gimp development package for windows.

This is true. Gimptool is only a convenience. But if you are going to develop on windows, you definately need msys, a bunch of developer packages for gtk, gettext, etc, and the gimp developer package.

Rockwalrus

Chris Share
2005-12-11 18:23:20 UTC (over 18 years ago)

GIMP Tool Found!

Hi,

I've found the source for the Windows version of GIMP Tool!

It's in the CVS.

Cheers,

Chris

Michael Schumacher
2005-12-11 18:24:23 UTC (over 18 years ago)

P.S.

Chris Share wrote:

I've been doing some reading and it seems that building the GIMP on Windows is very difficult. This is offputting for newbies like myself with a limited amount of time. I'd rather spend by time looking at the code/fixing bugs etc. rather than trying to the thing to build. Having said that, I haven't given up yet :-)

Building GIMP isn't hard. Getting the build environment working is the harder part, and something you'll have to do for plug-in building as well.

There's a section in the wiki covering this http://wiki.gimp.org/gimp/HowToCompileGimp/MicrosoftWindows

HTH, Michael

Kevin Cozens
2005-12-11 22:50:51 UTC (over 18 years ago)

P.S.

Michael Schumacher wrote:

Building GIMP isn't hard. Getting the build environment working is the harder part, and something you'll have to do for plug-in building as well.

There's a section in the wiki covering this http://wiki.gimp.org/gimp/HowToCompileGimp/MicrosoftWindows

In can be very difficult. It took me a while to be able to succeed in getting a build environment for Windows. The problem is in locating and downloading all the packages that are needed. The scripts that supposedly downloaded everything needed were out of date or incomplete. Unfortunately I didn't keep accurate enough notes to determine the main stumbling blocks. If the mood takes me, I may start from scratch again some time and carefully document my steps in order to get a better guide to setting up a build environment for Windows.

Chris Share
2005-12-11 22:56:04 UTC (over 18 years ago)

P.S.

That would be very helpful for newbies like me.

Cheers,

Chris

Kevin Cozens wrote:

In can be very difficult. It took me a while to be able to succeed in getting a build environment for Windows. The problem is in locating and downloading all the packages that are needed. The scripts that supposedly downloaded everything needed were out of date or incomplete. Unfortunately I didn't keep accurate enough notes to determine the main stumbling blocks. If the mood takes me, I may start from scratch again some time and carefully document my steps in order to get a better guide to setting up a build environment for Windows.

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2005-12-11 23:25:15 UTC (over 18 years ago)

P.S.

On Sunday 11 December 2005 07:56 pm, Chris Share wrote:

That would be very helpful for newbies like me.

Cheers,

Chris

Maybe you'd find it more easy to make the move once for all.

A GNU/Linux desktop is developer friendly, besides being user friendly.

There are a handfull of choices you could try not even having to perform a hard drive install (although you hardly could get to build GIMP one withtout installing things to hardware.

But it certainly will be much easier to build the GIMP and plug-ins in a freshly installed GNU/Linux than hunt for all dependencies and workarounds needed under windows.

You could try getting yourself a UBUNTU CD, for example (you can order then for free at shipit.ubuntu.org, but there would be faster ways for you to get then), or some other distribution that you could get a nearby friend to help you with. Most distributions are downloadable for free at all.

Sorry if this seems O.T. but I am really interested in heling you, and I do not think that holding back to windows is a good way to start.

JS ->

John Cupitt
2005-12-12 00:24:35 UTC (over 18 years ago)

P.S.

I wrote a guide to getting nip built under windows. It is a big-ish GTK program, so most of this will apply to gimp as well:

http://wiki.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/bin/view/Main/VipsMingw

Though gimp wll be harder (it's much more complicated and it needs more stuff).

After all that effort, you'll only have a half-arsed development environment :-( debugging will be painful and building will be slow. I'd only bother it if you really need to build a native win32 binary.

On 12/11/05, Kevin Cozens wrote:

In can be very difficult. It took me a while to be able to succeed in getting a build environment for Windows. The problem is in locating and downloading all the packages that are needed. The scripts that supposedly downloade everything needed were out of date or incomplete. Unfortunately I didn't keep accurate enough notes to determine the main stumbling blocks. If the mood takes me, I may start from scratch again some time and carefully document my steps in order to get a better guide to setting up a build environment for Windows.