RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

[lance@gimpuser.net: Re: GIMP 2.3.4]

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

[lance@gimpuser.net: Re: GIMP 2.3.4] Bill Kendrick 04 Oct 21:45
  [lance@gimpuser.net: Re: GIMP 2.3.4] michael chang 05 Oct 02:08
   [lance@gimpuser.net: Re: GIMP 2.3.4] Bill Kendrick 05 Oct 02:15
Bill Kendrick
2005-10-04 21:45:09 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Lance wrote:

* A spare hard drive
* A reliable partition manager (instead of a drive) * Perhaps an alternate computer entirely

Just to be a weenie, I'll mention live CDs like Knoppix. Or even USB-bootable systems. (I got to play with one of those this past weekend at a friend's workplace. Full desktop Linux system stuck in a bootable 1GB USB memory stick. Sweet!)

-bill!

michael chang
2005-10-05 02:08:45 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On 10/4/05, Bill Kendrick wrote:

Lance wrote:

* A spare hard drive
* A reliable partition manager (instead of a drive) * Perhaps an alternate computer entirely

Just to be a weenie, I'll mention live CDs like Knoppix.

There'll be a DVD version too, at one point...

Or even USB-bootable systems. (I got to play with one of those this past weekend at a friend's workplace. Full desktop Linux system stuck in a bootable 1GB USB memory stick. Sweet!)

Just to note, live systems on optical media won't preserve data between reboots without storing it somewhere, e.g. on a file or partition (Knoppix does this with some scripts somewhere IIRC). I don't know about USB systems.

They're fun to play with, of course, but doing serious work is usually easiest with a perminant install; you only need ~1-3 GB to get the base and GIMP running (I'd suggest more if you're going to do major work in it). Note that NTFS support in linux is patchy at best, although FAT is supported pretty well. (So if you're moving files, you may want a small FAT partition to move stuff in between Lin/Win.)

-- ~Mike
- Just my two cents
- No man is an island, and no man is unable.

Bill Kendrick
2005-10-05 02:15:20 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 08:08:45PM -0400, michael chang wrote:

Just to note, live systems on optical media won't preserve data between reboots without storing it somewhere, e.g. on a file or partition (Knoppix does this with some scripts somewhere IIRC). I don't know about USB systems.

Well, the USB system was writable because, well, it's just flash memory. :)

-bill!