RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

"Average Face" / Photo blending for large number of pics

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

"Average Face" / Photo blending for large number of pics <bbdavidf-gimp@yahoo.com> 14 Sep 14:40
  "Average Face" / Photo blending for large number of pics Nathan Summers 14 Sep 19:26
<bbdavidf-gimp@yahoo.com>
2005-09-14 14:40:43 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Greetings :)

I would like to be able to take a group of "head shots" (photo of just the face of a person) from different people....and then "stack" or "blend" them so that one "average face" results.

To be clear...there may be hundreds of individual face shots that we want to "stack" or "blend" (not sure what the right term is)...and the end result would be one face....that would then be the "average" of all the faces in the "stack".

This is different than standard "morphing" in which the final outcome is simply the last image in the stack. Again, we want the "average face" effect....a true "blend" of all of the individual stacked images as our outcome.

How can we achieve this?

I understand it may be a challenge. I'm OK with that. For now, please help me understand
the process by which the outcome can be achieved.

CHEERS!
David Fuhrer

"God's delays are not God's denials."

Nathan Summers
2005-09-14 19:26:37 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On 9/14/05, bbdavidf-gimp@yahoo.com wrote:

Greetings :)

I would like to be able to take a group of "head shots" (photo of just the face of a person) from different people....and then "stack" or "blend" them so that one "average face" results.

To be clear...there may be hundreds of individual face shots that we want to "stack" or "blend" (not sure what the right term is)...and the end result would be one face....that would then be the "average" of all the faces in the "stack".

This is different than standard "morphing" in which the final outcome is simply the last image in the stack. Again, we want the "average face" effect....a true "blend" of all of the individual stacked images as our outcome.

How can we achieve this?

You still would probably want to use morphing software. The difference is that instead of interpolating between the meshes of two images, you have to find the average between all the meshes, and then morph to that point. GtkMorph can do a lot of that, but it would probably take some modification to get it to do all of that.

Rockwalrus