RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

New to list--curious about progress of 'Resources'

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

24 of 24 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

New to list--curious about progress of 'Resources' Michael Soibelman 14 Aug 01:39
  New to list--curious about progress of 'Resources' Carol Spears 15 Aug 04:11
   New to list--curious about progress of 'Resources' Leon Brooks 15 Aug 15:44
    New to list--curious about progress of 'Resources' Carol Spears 15 Aug 22:10
     New to list--curious about progress of 'Resources' Leon Brooks 16 Aug 00:42
      New to list--curious about progress of 'Resources' michael chang 16 Aug 01:04
       New to list--curious about progress of 'Resources' Bill Kendrick 16 Aug 01:19
       New to list--curious about progress of 'Resources' Leon Brooks 16 Aug 15:47
        New to list--curious about progress of 'Resources' michael chang 16 Aug 16:35
         New to list--curious about progress of 'Resources' Leon Brooks 16 Aug 17:02
          New to list--curious about progress of 'Resources' Shlomi Fish 16 Aug 21:39
          New to list--curious about progress of 'Resources' michael chang 16 Aug 23:49
  New to list--curious about progress of 'Resources' Sven Neumann 16 Aug 23:05
   New to list--curious about progress of 'Resources' Carol Spears 17 Aug 05:56
    New to list--curious about progress of 'Resources' Leon Brooks 17 Aug 06:28
    New to list--curious about progress of 'Resources' michael chang 17 Aug 15:31
     New to list--curious about progress of 'Resources' Carol Spears 17 Aug 16:59
     New to list--curious about progress of 'Resources' Carol Spears 17 Aug 17:48
     New to list--curious about progress of 'Resources' Sven Neumann 18 Aug 22:30
New to list--curious about progress o f 'Resources' Michael Schumacher 17 Aug 15:58
  New to list--curious about progress of 'Resources' Carol Spears 17 Aug 18:03
   New to list--curious about progress of 'Resources' michael chang 17 Aug 18:56
    They Might Be a Developer Jeremy White 18 Aug 01:12
     They Might Be a Developer Nathan Summers 18 Aug 01:38
Michael Soibelman
2005-08-14 01:39:09 UTC (over 18 years ago)

I've been watching the (Gimp)web site for some time. Is there some realistic date when we can expect to see the 'Resources' section updated??

It says: " Soon, you will be able to download additional brushes, patterns, gradients and other useful files contributed by some GIMP users and developers. Please be patient while we organize this section of the site."

I've been reading that for a long time now and am wondering when this might happen. Many new versions of Gimp have been introduced in the mean time. Though it most certainly is nice to have new improved core functionality, for persons using the Gimp, plug-ins and resources such as brushes, patterns and gradients are immediately usefull and utilized !!

Thanks for any information regarding this and for those who are working on this I do appreciate all the work you are doing !!

Thanks again.

Michael Soibelman

Carol Spears
2005-08-15 04:11:21 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On Sat, Aug 13, 2005 at 04:39:09PM -0700, Michael Soibelman wrote:

I've been watching the (Gimp)web site for some time. Is there some realistic date when we can expect to see the 'Resources' section updated??

It says: " Soon, you will be able to download additional brushes, patterns, gradients and other useful files contributed by some GIMP users and developers. Please be patient while we organize this section of the site."

it would depend on your definition of soon.

I've been reading that for a long time now and am wondering when this might happen. Many new versions of Gimp have been introduced in the mean time. Though it most certainly is nice to have new improved core functionality, for persons using the Gimp, plug-ins and resources such as brushes, patterns and gradients are immediately usefull and utilized !!

i miss replied to this email and there is a discussion (mostly me with myself) of it on the gimp-user list. in truth, the developers of gimp seem to have been mostly concerned with removing the bird brush and that is it.

the result of the misfire into the user list though is an outline of an idea to collect resources for www.gimp.org which might lead to obtaining a few really good and useful ones to include or update gimp-2.4 with.

watch this page: http://carol.gimp.org/blog.html

the day you can click from that page through to individual pages for the resource of the day, even if the new page is a blank -- it means that it will be possible to get additional resources to www.gimp.org. without using the word "doable" and without the word "soon".

i like to think that having a translation of the day might inspire tutorials in that language. i like to think a lot of things though.

carol

Leon Brooks
2005-08-15 15:44:44 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On Monday 15 August 2005 10:11, Carol Spears wrote:

watch this page:
http://carol.gimp.org/blog.html

the day you can click from that page through to individual pages for the resource of the day, even if the new page is a blank -- it means that it will be possible to get additional resources to www.gimp.org. without using the word "doable" and without the word "soon".

What's missing? What do you need to make a directory of downloadable GIMP resources?

I contribute images to http://www.burningwell.org/ for the express purpose of making them available for non-wealthy image manipulators. Do you need much more than is provided there? If not, tweaking that gallery software to recognise and deal with patterns, brushes etc should be relatively trivial.

Cheers; Leon

-- http://cyberknights.com.au/ Modern tools; traditional dedication http://plug.linux.org.au/ Member, Perth Linux User Group http://slpwa.asn.au/ Member, Linux Professionals WA http://osia.net.au/ Member, Open Source Industry Australia http://linux.org.au/ Member, Linux Australia

Carol Spears
2005-08-15 22:10:19 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 09:44:44PM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:

On Monday 15 August 2005 10:11, Carol Spears wrote:

watch this page:
http://carol.gimp.org/blog.html

What's missing? What do you need to make a directory of downloadable GIMP resources?

i guess i am trying to get examples of the use of the existing resources and work on getting more. doing these two things at the same time has problems but also has some advantages. this is my theory.

we have an upload mechanism that already worked very well. at least it did not break and did what we asked it to do. if this can be considered "working well".

perhaps i need more help in what to ask for and how to ask it? like, should there be a Brush Week, for instance. i would like to see more animated brushes than gradients, personally. how do you manage a "time of contribution" or do you limit the time even?

I contribute images to http://www.burningwell.org/ for the express purpose of making them available for non-wealthy image manipulators. Do you need much more than is provided there? If not, tweaking that gallery software to recognise and deal with patterns, brushes etc should be relatively trivial.

this is a very friendly site. i am curious what you must do before you can see the upload page? do you know what it is written in? the gallery has the look and feel of cms galleries.

it is interesting that you start with a very plain page and then click through to a stylized page.

carol

Leon Brooks
2005-08-16 00:42:39 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On Tuesday 16 August 2005 04:10, Carol Spears wrote:

I am curious what you must do before you can see the upload page?

Register and log in.

do you know what it is written in?

The project is linked from the lower left of each gallery page:

http://gallery.sf.net/

It lists "PHP4" as a requirement, so that's probably what it's written in.

it is interesting that you start with a very plain page and then click through to a stylized page.

The plain page is essentially a lightweight splash, the rest is the "real" gallery. The gallery is designed to be embeddable in several CMSes.

Cheers; Leon

michael chang
2005-08-16 01:04:39 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On 8/15/05, Leon Brooks wrote:

On Tuesday 16 August 2005 04:10, Carol Spears wrote:

I am curious what you must do before you can see the upload page?

Register and log in.

do you know what it is written in?

The project is linked from the lower left of each gallery page:

http://gallery.sf.net/

It lists "PHP4" as a requirement, so that's probably what it's written in.

*sighs* PHP4, though, requires parsing *EVERY* page as it goes out of the server. Not exactly efficient -- it could put a toll on the server. *sighs*

I think this is the recommended design in one of the HTML design books I read...

The plain page is essentially a lightweight splash, the rest is the "real" gallery. The gallery is designed to be embeddable in several CMSes.

I'm sorry, what's a CMS?

Bill Kendrick
2005-08-16 01:19:22 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 07:04:39PM -0400, michael chang wrote:

I'm sorry, what's a CMS?

Content Management System.

-bill!

Leon Brooks
2005-08-16 15:47:21 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On Tuesday 16 August 2005 07:04, michael chang wrote:

*sighs* PHP4, though, requires parsing *EVERY* page as it goes out of the server.

No, just the PHP pages. I run mixed sites, and it's quite efficient as an Apache module, no significant performance penalty for a HTML page parsed through it (ie, no PHP code in it, just named .php or .phtml or whatever so that it gets feed to PHP).

I'm sorry, what's a CMS?

Content Management System (slight variations on the acronym, but the idea is common): a way for dumb or busy users to easily manage website content. A wiki is a kind of CMS. Zope or Plone are common and more typical examples.

Cheers; Leon

michael chang
2005-08-16 16:35:23 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On 8/16/05, Leon Brooks wrote:

On Tuesday 16 August 2005 07:04, michael chang wrote:

*sighs* PHP4, though, requires parsing *EVERY* page as it goes out of the server.

No, just the PHP pages. I run mixed sites, and it's quite efficient as an Apache module, no significant performance penalty for a HTML page parsed through it (ie, no PHP code in it, just named .php or .phtml or whatever so that it gets feed to PHP).

Altight, PHP4, requires parsing *EVERY* PHP4 page as it goes out of the server.

If the entire site is PHP4, or PHP4 generated, though... *shrugs*

I know SSI is similar to PHP4, IIRC, although it's less "complicated", built in to the server, etc. Dunno how it differs in load, but it's about the same, last I checks. I've tried PHP4 before, but I personally like perl better.

I'm sorry, what's a CMS?

Content Management System (slight variations on the acronym, but the idea is common): a way for dumb or busy users to easily manage website content. A wiki is a kind of CMS. Zope or Plone are common and more typical examples.

Thanks.

Leon Brooks
2005-08-16 17:02:18 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On Tuesday 16 August 2005 22:35, michael chang wrote:

As does mod_perl every .pl page, no?

I've tried PHP4 before, but I personally like perl better.

They're both very messy and relatively unstructured, although PHP has everything including the kitchen sink built in, and you can find a PERL module for practically any purpose you could imagine.

I prefer mod_ruby, it's a delight to write in (or modify if someone else wrote it) compared to either of the above but far too few others know it well for it to be considered readily supportable yet.

Cheers; Leon

Shlomi Fish
2005-08-16 21:39:42 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On Tuesday 16 August 2005 18:02, Leon Brooks wrote:

Actually mod_perl can compile each Perl page or module to a bytecode, cache it in the server (either globally at the Apache parent, or locally for every child), and not require to parse it again. mod_php has similar solutions (but not ones that are distributed along with it).

I've tried PHP4 before, but I personally like perl better.

They're both very messy and relatively unstructured,

Oh no! Let's not go there. The last thing we need on this mailing list is a Perl vs. PHP vs. Ruby vs. [Insert Your Favourite Language Here] flame-war. They're fun, but pretty much useless. And for the record "very messy and relatively unstructured" is not an objective fact about either Perl or PHP.

Regards,

Shlomi Fish

--------------------------------------------------------------------- Shlomi Fish shlomif@iglu.org.il Homepage: http://www.shlomifish.org/

Tcl is LISP on drugs. Using strings instead of S-expressions for closures is Evil with one of those gigantic E's you can find at the beginning of paragraphs.

Sven Neumann
2005-08-16 23:05:59 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Hi,

Michael Soibelman writes:

Since there is absolutely no progress whatsoever with the GIMP website, this isn't likely to happen ever. Perhaps you want to help us to get the website back to live?

Sven

michael chang
2005-08-16 23:49:02 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On 8/16/05, Leon Brooks wrote:

Indeed it does (I do even worse; I usually call the perl executable from CGI, on my system at least, when testing); but I usually go to the trouble of writing my pages and scripts so that static pages are generated from CGI scripts wherever possible.

For example, http://starglassstudios.netfirms.com/mirrors.html was dynamically generated by a CGI script, but the only bits being called as CGIs are the OK status buttions (-- these scripts reside on my PC at the moment, so aren't available 24/7 though). The whole page used to be CGI generated on the fly, and I still have that version, but I like this one better.

When, and if, I get around to trying to write a resource-a-day script in perl, I'd use this technique, unless instructed otherwise.

Although, at the moment, I believe I'll let Carol keep her script maintained -- I'd rather not have the pressure on me, just in case I never get around to writing the script. If I finish it, I'll letchall know.

Carol Spears
2005-08-17 05:56:54 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 11:05:59PM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:

Since there is absolutely no progress whatsoever with the GIMP website, this isn't likely to happen ever. Perhaps you want to help us to get the website back to live?

the gimp developers seem to be plagued by low self esteem. one good way to get people involved is to perhaps offer something that builds confidence and displays good faith in an individuals ability to take on a project like that like a publisher.

we have had quite a display of what handling a web project as a display of love and belief in a project will do for the project and the person. lets see what more actual esteem building incentives might do.

is there something that can look good and build esteem that we can share to get people interested?

do we offer them whatever software they want, for instance? do we tell them to use cvs which automatically comes with your special friend raphael? do we encourage them to work on their own computer and then beg for a dns thingie making it a gimp web site?

approach people involved as if they have a low self esteem rather than a self esteem that needs to be broken. which one works?

carol

Leon Brooks
2005-08-17 06:28:42 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On Wednesday 17 August 2005 11:56, Carol Spears wrote:

one good way to get people involved is to perhaps offer something that builds confidence and displays good faith in an individuals ability to take on a project like that like a publisher.

A Ferrari, Oka or touring coach each? To cater for variation in lifestyle. The coach would have to be second-hand to be priced in the same ball-park as the others, I can get a good one from South West Coach Lines for ~AUD$50k and get it fitted out for touring for about the same again.

Well, one can always dream. (-:

Cheers; Leon

michael chang
2005-08-17 15:31:46 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On 8/16/05, Carol Spears wrote:

the gimp developers seem to be plagued by low self esteem. one good way to get people involved is to perhaps offer something that builds confidence and displays good faith in an individuals ability to take on a project like that like a publisher.

Where is the GIMP Website located (in terms of making changes)? If someone wants to help e.g. do one page, but not take over the whole project, how would s/he go about propagating the changes to the GIMP website (if approved)?

Michael Schumacher
2005-08-17 15:58:34 UTC (over 18 years ago)

New to list--curious about progress o f 'Resources'

Von: michael chang

Where is the GIMP Website located (in terms of making changes)? If someone wants to help e.g. do one page, but not take over the whole project, how would s/he go about propagating the changes to the GIMP website (if approved)?

The GNOME CVS, just where GIMP's source code is located, too. The module is gimp-web. The pages in there are templates that are built into the complete pages by a Makefile, but they are complete enough to be edited without having to build them if you are careful.

The best way to contribute (if you don't have CVs access or don't want to do changes without getting approval) is to check them out from anoncvs, do the changes and provide a patch as an attachment in GNOME Bugzilla, in the gimp-web product.

On as side not, it is strongly recommended to take Carol's rumbling with a (huge) grain of salt - she like to overexaggerate and to play with other people, although she will disagree on the latter :)

HTH, Michael

Carol Spears
2005-08-17 16:59:17 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 09:31:46AM -0400, michael chang wrote:

the last person who wanted to help with the wiki was asked to demonstrate his ability with the wiki software on his own server.

my personal experiences with a shared source project via the existing framework is that all the belief and actual working software you can provide cannot make it work.

raphael has made good use of the same system though. talk about what you can do, provide a framework. take vacations and complain about family obligations. do not share your work until it works and perhaps you are finished with what ever private use you have for it.

if you have the backing of a third party. publisher is one example, huge coorporation is another, you can expect a great deal of confidence and gratitude from the developers. if the corp can provide some toys, all the better.

the gimp-web project can be checked out of gnomecvs. you can read the changelog there to see that making a working web site is the worst approach to take with these people.

do instead look at those who were successful and unhurt by the system. it is very beautiful the strong relationships that supported them as they contributed.

i will be so curious to see if your questions are answered.

carol

Carol Spears
2005-08-17 17:48:05 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 09:31:46AM -0400, michael chang wrote:

dating. date a hacker. while i have not tried this avenue myself, there seems to be plenty of ways to "get in" to the loop of this kind of information if you find a gtk, gnome or gimp hacker and date them or otherwise mate with them; even if for a brief time.

actually, it seems that dating a hacker or two is the only way to get on Tim Ney's reminder list. it doesnt seem to be that the keepers of gimps money are related to the keepers of gimps web related things, but there is some overlap.

are there are ways to have success with working with this development team? it has not been all bad for everyone, i do not think.

carol

Carol Spears
2005-08-17 18:03:33 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 03:58:34PM +0200, Michael Schumacher wrote:

On as side not, it is strongly recommended to take Carol's rumbling with a (huge) grain of salt - she like to overexaggerate and to play with other people, although she will disagree on the latter :)

sure. don't let me do all the telling. you wanted to work with the wiki. can you tell how that progressed?

carol

michael chang
2005-08-17 18:56:01 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On 8/17/05, Carol Spears wrote:

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 03:58:34PM +0200, Michael Schumacher wrote:

sure. don't let me do all the telling. you wanted to work with the wiki. can you tell how that progressed?

I it rather amusing you two both said the same thing -- although Michael managed to say it in one message, whereas Carol used two. ^^

I suppose it could have been worse...

And no, I'm not backed by any corporation -- I don't even have a job at the moment (this is all hobby work and speculation; I'm a high-school student).

Jeremy White
2005-08-18 01:12:01 UTC (over 18 years ago)

They Might Be a Developer

Howdy everyone... thought this would be a good message to introduce myself in and my intents:

I wanna get into debugging a bit of GIMP (that's right... I'm fresh blood) and once I get used to it, I guess I'll go ahead and add something to the core code if you'd approve. I went ahead and typed up my ideas but I decided it would be a bad idea to post any of my thoughts until I got some feedback. Is the mailing list a good place for me to announce ideas like that and whatever? I just would hate to spam this list with my thoughts if it's the wrong place.

OH! And another thought. I'm assuming you people don't need a resume or any of that jazz... you just want me to debug stuff until I prove I'm better than another developer, then he/she gets voted off the island and gets eaten by sharks while we watch and eat popcorn and then I go ahead and start developing code until I die so many times that I don't have any quarters left to put in the video game. Am I loosely right?

Dang, I need to lessen the sugar.

Ta ta, ya' GIMPy people, Jeremy White

P.S. Do you want my system(s) specs?

Nathan Summers
2005-08-18 01:38:28 UTC (over 18 years ago)

They Might Be a Developer

On 8/17/05, Jeremy White wrote:

Howdy everyone... thought this would be a good message to introduce myself in and my intents:

I wanna get into debugging a bit of GIMP (that's right... I'm fresh blood) and once I get used to it, I guess I'll go ahead and add something to the core code if you'd approve. I went ahead and typed up my ideas but I decided it would be a bad idea to post any of my thoughts until I got some feedback. Is the mailing list a good place for me to announce ideas like that and whatever? I just would hate to spam this list with my thoughts if it's the wrong place.

That is exciting to hear. We have plenty of bug to choose from; try http://bugs.gimp.org . The easiest way to submit bugfixes is to sign up for an account there and then to attach the patches in diff -u form to the appropriate bug.

OH! And another thought. I'm assuming you people don't need a resume or any of that jazz...

Your code is your resume.

you just want me to debug stuff until I prove I'm better than another developer, then he/she gets voted off the island and gets eaten by sharks while we watch and eat popcorn and then I go ahead and start developing code until I die so many times that I don't have any quarters left to put in the video game. Am I loosely right?

We don't have enough developers to start killing them off yet.

Dang, I need to lessen the sugar.

We can use a bit of lightheartedness every once in a while. Too much of it might upset one of our resident grouches, but you'd know if that happened. :)

Ta ta, ya' GIMPy people,
Jeremy White

P.S. Do you want my system(s) specs?

They are probably not all that relevant, although if you are competent at doing builds for non-Linux or non-Intel platforms, they might be.

Rockwalrus

Sven Neumann
2005-08-18 22:30:42 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Hi,

michael chang writes:

It is in GNOME CVS, module gimp-web. There's also a mailing-list dedicated to the web-site. Perhaps you want to take further discussion to it.

Sven