RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Color Management

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

20050809190045.317B6133C7@l... 07 Oct 20:24
  Color Management Jordi Canton 10 Aug 09:51
   Color Management Sven Neumann 10 Aug 12:48
    Color Management Jordi Canton 10 Aug 13:15
     Color Management Hal V. Engel 13 Aug 22:03
      Color Management Sven Neumann 16 Aug 23:04
Jordi Canton
2005-08-10 09:51:38 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Color Management

Hello,

Hal wrote:

1. Currently embedded profiles are not used. This needs to be implemented The gimp-color-management plug-in (by Jordi Canton ) looks like it has the code needed to read in an embedded profile and could be leveraged to get this functionality. Highest priority of any CM work.

Actually the plugin is reading the profile attached as parasite. Last time I checked, only the TIFF files were abe to read/write the profiles as color parasites. There is no problem to read the color profile as parasite but the read/write color profile should also be implemented in the other file formats wich support embeebed color profiles (i.e. jpg)

2. Default Profile Paths need to be implemented. This should be user modifiable. On open source systems it should be set to ~/.color/icc:/usr/share/color/icc by default and the user should only be able to add additional locations to this path (not sure about the last part). On open source systems The GIMP installation should create these directories if they do not exist (? not sure about this). On closed source systems the system default locations should be used. On Windows XP this would normally be C:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\color. I don't know what it is on a Mac. Medium to low priority.

I agree, the use of directories to store the profiles provides an easy and quick way to select the different profiles.

3. Menu items to assign profiles to images and to convert images between color spaces needs to be implemented. There is already a plug-in available that sort of does this (gimp-color-manager). It is on the rough side and has a more complex UI than is really needed and the UI confusing. This either needs to be simplified and cleaned up or just used to pull out needed functionality for implementing a cleaner UI. High priority.

Well, obviouslly I am not a great interface designer ;). Although I improved it using some of the users suggestions it is really difficult to desing a simple interface wich supports all the different plugin funcionalities. I will appreciate any further suggestion wich clarifies the plugin interface.

Sven Neumann
2005-08-10 12:48:47 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Color Management

Hi,

Jordi Canton writes:

Actually the plugin is reading the profile attached as parasite. Last time I checked, only the TIFF files were abe to read/write the profiles as color parasites. There is no problem to read the color profile as parasite but the read/write color profile should also be implemented in the other file formats wich support embeebed color profiles (i.e. jpg)

I have added support for reading and writing embedded ICC profiles to the JPEG plug-in a while ago. What's missing is integration with GIMP's color management and that depends on some changes to the plug-in API that are still pending.

2. Default Profile Paths need to be implemented. This should be user modifiable. On open source systems it should be set to ~/.color/icc:/usr/share/color/icc by default and the user should only be able to add additional locations to this path (not sure about the last part). On open source systems The GIMP installation should create these directories if they do not exist (? not sure about this). On closed source systems the system default locations should be used. On Windows XP this would normally be C:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\color. I don't know what it is on a Mac. Medium to low priority.

I agree, the use of directories to store the profiles provides an easy and quick way to select the different profiles.

I disagree somewhat. IMO there should be a configurable profile search path similar to what we have for brushes, fonts etc. The user shouldn't have to select ICC profiles by selecting files. Instead there should be a profile selector. This widget would list all available profiles, showing info such as the profile vendor, profile intent and other meta information that can be extracted from ICC profiles.

Sven

Jordi Canton
2005-08-10 13:15:57 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Color Management

I disagree somewhat. IMO there should be a configurable profile search path similar to what we have for brushes, fonts etc. The user shouldn't have to select ICC profiles by selecting files. Instead there should be a profile selector. This widget would list all available profiles, showing info such as the profile vendor, profile intent and other meta information that can be extracted from ICC profiles.

That is more or less the idea I have about it. The idea is to select the ICC profile, not the file.

I suppose that the new plug-in API will have functionalities to get the:

Embedded ICC profile (get/set) Profile search path (or alternatively list of available profiles)

Do you have more or less the list of the new API ICC funcionalities? They will help me to clarify the actual user interface which actually looks like:

http://www.virtual-sub.org/images/upload/abulmacolor2.jpg

I agree that it can be improved.

Hal V. Engel
2005-08-13 22:03:46 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Color Management

On Wednesday 10 August 2005 04:15 am, Jordi Canton wrote:

That is more or less the idea I have about it. The idea is to select the ICC profile, not the file.

I think we all agree on this the UI should present a list of profiles, not files, to the user.

I suppose that the new plug-in API will have functionalities to get the:

Embedded ICC profile (get/set) Profile search path (or alternatively list of available profiles)

Do you have more or less the list of the new API ICC funcionalities? They will help me to clarify the actual user interface which actually looks like:

http://www.virtual-sub.org/images/upload/abulmacolor2.jpg

I agree that it can be improved.

Jordi,

You current plug-in is a good fit for GIMP 2.2 but it implements way too much stuff for GIMP 2.4 since the apparent plan is to have GIMP wide CM policies that are set in file ==> preferences ==> color management. So the policy stuff in your plug-in will not be needed.

What is needed for GIMP 2.4 are two very simple plug-ins that will do two things:

1. Allow the user to assign a profile to an image. This would pull up a dialog that allows the user to assign the default working space profile or select from a list of available profiles.

2. Allow the user to do a color space conversion. This would pull up a dialog that would have a "from" and "to" section. In the "from" section the user would be able to select either the embedded profile if one exited (otherwise this is gray) or from a list of available profiles. In the "to" section the user would be able to select either the default working space profile or from a list of available profiles.

Hal

Sven Neumann
2005-08-16 23:04:31 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Color Management

Hi,

"Hal V. Engel" writes:

What is needed for GIMP 2.4 are two very simple plug-ins that will do two things:

1. Allow the user to assign a profile to an image. This would pull up a dialog that allows the user to assign the default working space profile or select from a list of available profiles.

2. Allow the user to do a color space conversion. This would pull up a dialog that would have a "from" and "to" section. In the "from" section the user would be able to select either the embedded profile if one exited (otherwise this is gray) or from a list of available profiles. In the "to" section the user would be able to select either the default working space profile or from a list of available profiles.

This could already be done using the current API except that there's not yet a profile chooser widget. But one could use GtkFileChooserButton for now until such a widget is written. The API to access the color management preferences does already exist since GIMP >= 2.3.2. I would very much welcome some help here.

If this can save code duplication, this could very well be done in a single plug-in that registers multiple menu entries.

Sven