RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Snap To Canvas

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Snap To Canvas Tim E. Jedlicka - wrk 12 Jul 05:59
  Snap To Canvas Michael Natterer 12 Jul 13:16
   Snap To Canvas Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 12 Jul 13:51
    Snap To Canvas Simon Budig 12 Jul 14:16
  Snap To Canvas GSR - FR 12 Jul 16:22
Snap To Canvas Michael Schumacher 12 Jul 17:22
  Snap To Canvas GSR - FR 12 Jul 17:43
Tim E. Jedlicka - wrk
2005-07-12 05:59:33 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Snap To Canvas

I'm running gimp-2.3.2. Thank you for the "snap to canvas edge" option. I would suggest that it should default to "on/checked". Snap to Guides is defaulted to "on", the canvas edge should be considered a default guide (in fact, that is how I would implement the feature, have images open with the edge being the default guides - but since I'm not a coder I'm just thankful for the feature regardless how implemented).

If a user does not want the snap to's defaulted to "on", they can change the snap pixels to 0 (or 1?) in preferences and accomplish the equivalent behavior. -----
Tim Jedlicka, Network Entomologist

Michael Natterer
2005-07-12 13:16:51 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Snap To Canvas

On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 22:59 -0500, Tim E. Jedlicka - wrk wrote:

I'm running gimp-2.3.2. Thank you for the "snap to canvas edge" option. I would suggest that it should default to "on/checked". Snap to Guides is defaulted to "on", the canvas edge should be considered a default guide (in fact, that is how I would implement the feature, have images open with the edge being the default guides - but since I'm not a coder I'm just thankful for the feature regardless how implemented).

If a user does not want the snap to's defaulted to "on", they can change the snap pixels to 0 (or 1?) in preferences and accomplish the equivalent behavior.

Hi,

you have a point here. IMHO we should change this to snap by default. Would you file a bug about this so it's not forgotten?

(go to http://bugs.gimp.org/)

thanks, --mitch

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2005-07-12 13:51:14 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Snap To Canvas

On Tuesday 12 July 2005 08:16, Michael Natterer wrote:

On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 22:59 -0500, Tim E. Jedlicka - wrk wrote:

If a user does not want the snap to's defaulted to "on", they can change the snap pixels to 0 (or 1?) in preferences and accomplish the equivalent behavior.

Hi,

you have a point here. IMHO we should change this to snap by default. Would you file a bug about this so it's not forgotten?

EEEKkkk!

Beware there:
while snapping layers to the canvas on by default would be good, the option also snaps paint strokes!!

That is _not_ good to be on by default - one goes carefully painting with the paintbrush, and suddenly it is sucked to the edge, out of nowhere!!

(go to http://bugs.gimp.org/)

thanks, --mitch

Simon Budig
2005-07-12 14:16:40 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Snap To Canvas

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris (gwidion@mpc.com.br) wrote:

On Tuesday 12 July 2005 08:16, Michael Natterer wrote:

[snapping to guides/borders by default]

Beware there:
while snapping layers to the canvas on by default would be good, the option also snaps paint strokes!!

That is _not_ good to be on by default - one goes carefully painting with the paintbrush, and suddenly it is sucked to the edge, out of nowhere!!

While I agree that snapping to the guides would be a good default (you're usually placing the guides conciously on the image) I am not sure about the snapping to canvas borders by default. This is probably unexpected to the unsuspecting user.

Bye, Simon

GSR - FR
2005-07-12 16:22:08 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Snap To Canvas

Hi,
bonzo@lucent.com (2005-07-11 at 2259.33 -0500):

I doubt that makes sense... if it does, why not also make all images start with some guides? Two guides at 1/3 of size ("rule of thirds"), or the middle of each axis ("where is the center?"), for example. At least these ones would be visible, not "magic".

Snap to guides defaults to on because the user has to add guides first, and normally people add them for the snap feature. I think it would make more sense to save the status of snap to edges if you want, but default to off. At least it would avoid all the "my paintbrush jumps when I am near the edge" problems.

GSR

Michael Schumacher
2005-07-12 17:22:01 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Snap To Canvas

Von: GSR - FR

I doubt that makes sense... if it does, why not also make all images start with some guides? Two guides at 1/3 of size ("rule of thirds"), or the middle of each axis ("where is the center?"), for example. At least these ones would be visible, not "magic".

This would make sense if it was implemented in the image templates - using XCF files for templates would achieve this, and this has already been suggested.

HTH,
Michael

GSR - FR
2005-07-12 17:43:02 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Snap To Canvas

Hi,
schumaml@gmx.de (2005-07-12 at 1722.01 +0200):

This would make sense if it was implemented in the image templates - using XCF files for templates would achieve this, and this has already been suggested.

And done already, years ago there were some templates that people just copied and used for things like CD covers (instead of waiting for dialog to do something, just keep empty files ready to use like blank paper that can be cloned). But the point is that the user requested it, and was clearly visible, then it makes sense. "My paintbrush fails around the edges" does not so much, IMO. Following the XCF idea, edges as guides could be saved in it and show a nice hint.

GSR