RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Google Summer of Code - urgent

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

10 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Google Summer of Code - urgent Dave Neary 13 Jun 10:31
  Google Summer of Code - urgent Adam D. Moss 13 Jun 11:04
  Google Summer of Code - urgent Kevin Cozens 13 Jun 18:03
  Google Summer of Code - urgent Nathan Summers 13 Jun 21:35
   Google Summer of Code - urgent David Neary 13 Jun 23:19
  Google Summer of Code - urgent Manish Singh 13 Jun 22:41
  Google Summer of Code - urgent Sven Neumann 13 Jun 23:19
   Google Summer of Code - urgent David Neary 15 Jun 21:23
  Google Summer of Code - urgent Michael Schumacher 14 Jun 23:50
Google Summer of Code - urgent Dave Neary 13 Jun 15:25
Dave Neary
2005-06-13 10:31:37 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Hi,

We got an OK last week to add a couple of GIMP projects to the GNOME bounties, but unfortunately, this didn't get done. I didn't have time to do the necessary (modifying the bounties on www.gnome.org).

The due date is tomorrow for projects, so if someone were to add two GIMP projects to the GNOME "bounties" page listing a contact as the gimp-dev list, or some other address, and post a news item about it, there is a chance that we will get the work done.

The two suggestions which seemed to get the most traction were a plug-in distribution system and a vector-based shapes tool. Simon agreed to mentor someone on the shapes tool, we need a mentor for the plug-in system. There is a related resource distribution project for gDesklets in the bounties already - some coordination might be possible.

So - the actions (time-sensitive) are:

Add these two bounties to www.gnome.org (module gnomeweb-wml in GNOME CVS, directory www.gnome.org/bounties edit bounties.xml, run

mono build.exe for i in *.php; do php $i > ${i#php}html; done cvs add files which need adding
cvs ci

Post a news item with a link to the relevant page to www.gimp.org

Send a mail to nat@nat.org and board@gnome.org letting us know that you've done that.

If this gets done today, there's a chance that someone will pick up these as a last-minute project. Otherwise, the boat will be missed.

Apologies on my part for not being clear last week that I would not have the time to do the above - I was pretty clear about it on IRC, but then IRC doesn't count.

Cheers,
Dave.

Adam D. Moss
2005-06-13 11:04:51 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Dave Neary wrote:

So - the actions (time-sensitive) are:

Add these two bounties to www.gnome.org (module gnomeweb-wml in GNOME CVS, directory www.gnome.org/bounties edit bounties.xml, run

mono build.exe for i in *.php; do php $i > ${i#php}html; done

Seriously??

--adam

Dave Neary
2005-06-13 15:25:13 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Hi,

Dave Neary wrote:

mono build.exe for i in *.php; do php $i > ${i#php}html; done

Seriously??

Yeah, seriously. The bounties are a Novell thing at the origin, remember? You could of course create/modify the HTML files by hand as an alternative, but then the next time someone runs that mono script, those changes will get overwritten.

Cheers, Dave.

Kevin Cozens
2005-06-13 18:03:00 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Dave Neary wrote:

The two suggestions which seemed to get the most traction were a plug-in distribution system and a vector-based shapes tool. Simon agreed to mentor someone on the shapes tool, we need a mentor for the plug-in system. There is a related resource distribution project for gDesklets in the bounties already - some coordination might be possible.

Some of the other projects on the Summer Of Code list include fixing bugs listed in their bug tracking system as one of the items. Might be worth considering adding. If a student fixes enough bugs (depending on severity/importance) they would be eligible for a bounty or, another possibility is if they tackled one of the hot issues currently in bugzilla.

Nathan Summers
2005-06-13 21:35:14 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On 6/13/05, Dave Neary wrote:

we need a mentor for the plug-in
system. There is a related resource distribution project for gDesklets in the bounties already - some coordination might be possible.

I'm willing to be a mentor for that one.

Rockwalrus

Manish Singh
2005-06-13 22:41:34 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 10:31:37AM +0200, Dave Neary wrote:

mentor someone on the shapes tool, we need a mentor for the plug-in system. There is a related resource distribution project for gDesklets in the bounties already - some coordination might be possible.

I can do that. Anyone doing that will need to talk to be about the server side of things anyway.

-Yosh

David Neary
2005-06-13 23:19:16 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Hi,

Nathan Summers wrote:

On 6/13/05, Dave Neary wrote:

we need a mentor for the plug-in
system. There is a related resource distribution project for gDesklets in the bounties already - some coordination might be possible.

I'm willing to be a mentor for that one.

Thanks for the offer (yosh too). It looks like no-one picked up the task of adding the projects to the Google bounties (yet). The closing date for submissions is tomorrow, so we're probably a bit late now. Still, we should add them, and put up the news item in the hope that next time around we get contacted earlier to take part.

Who can do this today? (If the answer is "me" then don't bother answering, Just Do It ;)

Cheers, Dave.

Sven Neumann
2005-06-13 23:19:37 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Hi,

Dave Neary writes:

mono build.exe for i in *.php; do php $i > ${i#php}html; done cvs add files which need adding
cvs ci

Post a news item with a link to the relevant page to www.gimp.org

I can do the news item. Could someone else please volunteer to do the web changes. I feel too old to install PHP. If cvs write access is missing, I can also apply the patch for you.

Sven

Michael Schumacher
2005-06-14 23:50:15 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Dave Neary wrote:

Done. Well, would have been nice if you had specified the amount, category, and funder.

mono build.exe

Hm, doesn't run on Win32 with .NET. Ok, maybe someone else will do this, the file is committed.

for i in *.php; do php $i > ${i#php}html; done

Why does the build.exe not do this? Why wasn't the whole thing done in PHP? Why isn't this done on the server?

cvs add files which need adding
cvs ci

Not done, see above.

Back out my change if needed, I'm pretty upset now because of this little thing being so complicated.

Michael

David Neary
2005-06-15 21:23:08 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Hi,

Sven Neumann wrote:

I can do the news item. Could someone else please volunteer to do the web changes. I feel too old to install PHP. If cvs write access is missing, I can also apply the patch for you.

We're too late for anyone to get the projects into google, but it's probably worthwhile announcing just to stake our claim for next time...

http://www.gnome.org/bounties/Google.html http://www.gnome.org/bounties/GIMP.html

Thanks to Michael Schumacher for updating the bounties.

Cheers, Dave.