RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GIMP on Win32 - Adding support for IExtractImage

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GIMP on Win32 - Adding support for IExtractImage Phil Lello 08 Jun 23:44
  GIMP on Win32 - Adding support for IExtractImage Sven Neumann 09 Jun 01:52
   GIMP on Win32 - Adding support for IExtractImage Phil Lello 09 Jun 02:37
    GIMP on Win32 - Adding support for IExtractImage Sven Neumann 09 Jun 21:12
Phil Lello
2005-06-08 23:44:47 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Hi all,

I'm new to this mailing list, so please forgive me if this has been covered before (couldn't find it on newsgroup history)....
On Windows XP, the file manager interface allows graphics files to be browsed by thumnails. I'm looking into using the GIMP thumbnail library to add support for formats Windows doesn't already handle (e.g. Targa).

So, my questions for you guys are :

1. Anyone already looking at this? 2. Should this be added to the main GIMP project? 3. Can anyone point me at some pre-compiled M$ VC++ linker libraries?

I know 3 is possibly a bit off-topic for a developer list, but since this is a fairly trivial project, I'd like to avoid spending a lot of time messing around with a build environment and dependancies (still on dial-up too).... Unfortunately the Win32 binary package doesn't include these :-(

Phil

Sven Neumann
2005-06-09 01:52:14 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Hi,

"Phil Lello" writes:

On Windows XP, the file manager interface allows graphics files to be browsed by thumnails. I'm looking into using the

GIMP thumbnail library to add support for formats Windows doesn't already handle (e.g. Targa).

If by GIMP thumbnail library you are refering to libgimpthumb, then I have to disapoint you. All this library does is to implement the Free Desktop thumbnail managing standard. It is up to the user to create the thumbnails.

And GIMP doesn't provide a library you easily could use to make it's file loading plug-ins available to the window file manager. But perhaps I am just misunderstanding what you are trying to achieve?

Sven

Phil Lello
2005-06-09 02:37:15 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Hi,

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

"Phil Lello" writes:

On Windows XP, the file manager interface allows

graphics files to be

browsed by thumnails. I'm looking into using the

GIMP thumbnail library to add support for formats Windows doesn't already handle (e.g. Targa).

If by GIMP thumbnail library you are refering to libgimpthumb, then I have to disapoint you. All this library does is to implement the Free Desktop thumbnail managing standard. It is up to the user to create the thumbnails.

And GIMP doesn't provide a library you easily could use to make it's file loading plug-ins available to the window file manager. But perhaps I am just misunderstanding what you are trying to achieve?

Sven

Yes, you understand what I meant. I'd had a flick through the 2.0 API docs
(http://developer.gimp.org/api/2.0/libgimpthumb/GimpThumbnail.html#gimp- thumbnail-load-thumb)
which says "[gimp_thumbnail_load_thumb ()] Attempts to load a thumbnail preview for the image associated with thumbnail".

So I thought I could use this library as a generic way to get a bitmap from a graphics file, and do my own scaling as appropriate.

As this is not the case, I'll write my own Targa-specific solution for now, since this is all I'm after.

Has anyone looked at building a generic image load/save library for GIMP in the past? I'll look into doing this unless I hear some convincing reasons not to....

Phil

Sven Neumann
2005-06-09 21:12:22 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Hi,

"Phil Lello" writes:

Has anyone looked at building a generic image load/save library for GIMP in the past? I'll look into doing this unless I hear some convincing reasons not to....

GEGL will work nicely as a generic image load/save library. Feel free to join that effort.

Sven