RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

parsing path data from xcf files

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

parsing path data from xcf files Rian Kruger 07 Jun 00:44
  parsing path data from xcf files Sven Neumann 07 Jun 01:35
   parsing path data from xcf files Nathan Summers 07 Jun 03:00
   parsing path data from xcf files Rian Kruger 07 Jun 09:35
   parsing path data from xcf files Adam D. Moss 07 Jun 17:38
Rian Kruger
2005-06-07 00:44:32 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Hi

I have a corrupt gimp file and I wish to parse the path data from the gimp file. Could anyone please tell me how the start and the end of the all the path data is indicated in the file. How does the file indicate when the data from one path ends and the other begins.

Also any other details about the format of the path data would be very helpful, like how the bytes of data correspond to a point in the path.

I am using gimp 2.0.1

I am hoping to convert the data to the svg format. Is what I am trying to attempt possible? Is there an easier was for me to recover the path data.

Thanks for any help

Rian

Sven Neumann
2005-06-07 01:35:31 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Hi,

Rian Kruger writes:

I have a corrupt gimp file and I wish to parse the path data from the gimp file. Could anyone please tell me how the start and the end of the all the path data is indicated in the file. How does the file indicate when the data from one path ends and the other begins.

Use the source, Luke. The code is in the app/xcf folder.

Actually, it would be nice if GIMP would not reject your corrupt XCF file but warn and load as much of it as possible. Of course that will not be possible in all cases but it might be worth trying. You could file an enhancement request for this and attach your corrupt XCF file to it.

Sven

Nathan Summers
2005-06-07 03:00:52 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On 6/6/05, Sven Neumann wrote:

Actually, it would be nice if GIMP would not reject your corrupt XCF file but warn and load as much of it as possible. Of course that will not be possible in all cases but it might be worth trying. You could file an enhancement request for this and attach your corrupt XCF file to it.

Actually, I'd rather see a command-line xcfrecover program. Of course the big problem in either case is that XCF is not designed for recoverability.

Rockwalrus

Rian Kruger
2005-06-07 09:35:54 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Thanks, I'll try and mudle through, unfortunately I am far from fluent in C (my CV includes Java, php, perl and python. Pointers! arggggh ;) ).

So if off the top of their head anyone can give me a bit more info to get me started it would be much appreciated. Is there not documentations that describes the xcf file format?

P.s. Well done on a great app, it really kicks ass.

Rian

On 6/7/05, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Rian Kruger writes:

Use the source, Luke. The code is in the app/xcf folder.

Sven

Adam D. Moss
2005-06-07 17:38:30 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Sven Neumann wrote:

Actually, it would be nice if GIMP would not reject your corrupt XCF file but warn and load as much of it as possible. Of course that will not be possible in all cases but it might be worth trying.

This is the way GIMP used to work (maybe still does?), though in quite a coarse way (any whole layers and other [meta]data up to the first obvious corruption will get loaded, and a warning issued).

I might be talking 0.99-ish ancient history here, but I can't see anyone having intentionally removed such a feature.

Regards, --Adam