RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GUADEC 2005-unified documentation system

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 1 message available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GUADEC 2005-unified documentation system Roman Joost 06 Jun 13:19
Roman Joost
2005-06-06 13:19:05 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

GUADEC 2005-unified documentation system

Hi folks,

because most of the GIMPers didn't attend the freeform session about the planed 'unified documentation system', I would inform you what happend at the session. People came from various projects like KDE, GNOME as well as translators.

First, we discussed the pros and cons of the current help browser situation. There is the KDE help browser which provides not only KDE documentation, as well as the GNOME documentatation with some trickery. Most agreed, that scrollkeeper isn't the best approach for finding documentation and has some drawbacks (eg. a generated ID), which I don't want to elaborate more here.

So, we first dicussed an approach on how to lookup documentation from the help-browsers point of view in the filesystem. KDE uses an extended key set for looking up documentation in '.desktop' files[1]. Every agreed, that using these keys for all help browsers would solve a lot of problems scrollkeeper had.

To summarize up:

- a desktop file installed in the #XDG_DATA_DIRS/help or a hidden $XDG_DATA_DIR in the home directory of the user will point to the documentation in the filesystem (we also discussed a naming schema which is available at the wiki[2]). The possibility to install documentation in the users home directories provides the opportunity, that users can independendly install additional documentation. The $XDG_DATA_DIR in the users home directory should be indexed by the help browser first, though.

- localized versions of the documentation are seperated by folders. The language is determined by the foldername, which should be an ISO code. Each subdirectory should contain an additional desktop file to provide additional information for the help browser. This is currently a bit vague what the desktop files in these subdirs should provide (could be fallbacks urls to other ids or documents)

- if no localized version can be found in the subdirectories, a fallback to the 'default' language is considered or at least the default documentation (in whatever language it is written).

So, most of the results aren't important for the GIMP documentation system and the help browser. If we can get a bit more precise about the results of the discussion, the only change to our documentation would be the desktop files we have to write.

GUADEC was nice, although I haven't had time to attend much of the talks and sessions. It was a pleasure again to meet all the GIMPers and GNOME people.

If there are any questions concerning my mail, please let me know :)

[1] - http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-0.9.4.html#recognized-keys [2] - http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards_2fhelp_2dsystem

Greetings,