RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Multiple Selections for a Gimp-Plugin

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Multiple Selections for a Gimp-Plugin Gerald Friedland 30 May 16:11
  Multiple Selections for a Gimp-Plugin Sven Neumann 30 May 16:55
Gerald Friedland
2005-05-30 16:11:56 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Dear Gimp-Developer-Community!

I am new to this list and also to Gimp development so please excuse me if this question is trivial or out-of-topic.

We have developed a foreground extraction algorithm that improves substantially over Magic Wand (Photoshop) and also the tool that is inside GIMP. It could be compared to Microsoft Grabcut, but it is a lot faster because our approach was originally intended for video segmentation. A Java 1.4 based demonstration Applet can be found at: http://kazan.inf.fu-berlin.de/echalk/Segmentation/

I want to make this available as a GIMP Plugin, but my problem is that (as you can see in the demonstration) sometimes it requires the user to make multiple selections (region of interest and several foreground samples).

I just cannot figure out how to model this in GIMP, as it seems to allow only one selection per Plugin-call.

Any help out there from experienced Plug-In or Gimp-developers?
Regards,
Gerald Friedland

Sven Neumann
2005-05-30 16:55:48 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Hi,

Gerald Friedland writes:

We have developed a foreground extraction algorithm that improves substantially over Magic Wand (Photoshop) and also the tool that is inside GIMP. It could be compared to Microsoft Grabcut, but it is a lot faster because our approach was originally intended for video segmentation. A Java 1.4 based demonstration Applet can be found at: http://kazan.inf.fu-berlin.de/echalk/Segmentation/

That looks very interesting.

I want to make this available as a GIMP Plugin, but my problem is that (as you can see in the demonstration) sometimes it requires the user to make multiple selections (region of interest and several foreground samples).

I just cannot figure out how to model this in GIMP, as it seems to allow only one selection per Plugin-call.

It might make sense to implement this as a tool instead of as a plug-in then. That would allow for more direct interaction and would also make it easier to do preview on the image window. But it would also mean that the code would have to be made available under the terms of the GPL.

Any help out there from experienced Plug-In or Gimp-developers?

Since you appear to be from Berlin, perhaps we should meet and discuss this over a beer? Mitch and me will probably be back in Berlin next weekend.

Sven