RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

use of the Space key

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

30 of 31 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

use of the Space key Sven Neumann 21 May 17:00
  use of the Space key Jakub Steiner 22 May 13:50
  use of the Space key Adam D. Moss 22 May 18:10
   use of the Space key Andreas Røsdal 23 May 12:20
    use of the Space key Sven Neumann 24 May 11:07
   use of the Space key GSR - FR 24 May 02:16
    use of the Space key Sven Neumann 24 May 10:43
  use of the Space key kristin falck peña 22 May 18:21
  use of the Space key Jakub Friedl (lists) 22 May 21:40
   use of the Space key Sven Neumann 23 May 00:30
    use of the Space key Jakub Friedl (lists) 23 May 00:45
     use of the Space key Fredrik Alströmer 23 May 15:16
   use of the Space key Adam D. Moss 24 May 14:36
    use of the Space key Jakub Friedl (lists) 24 May 14:53
  use of the Space key Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 22 May 23:55
   use of the Space key Jakub Friedl (lists) 23 May 09:21
    use of the Space key Laxminarayan Kamath 23 May 15:24
     use of the Space key Tino Schwarze 23 May 16:22
     use of the Space key Sven Neumann 24 May 01:08
      use of the Space key Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 24 May 03:18
     use of the Space key Laxminarayan Kamath 24 May 13:18
  use of the Space key GSR - FR 23 May 17:51
   use of the Space key Sven Neumann 24 May 11:16
  use of the Space key Akkana Peck 25 May 02:12
   use of the Space key Roel Schroeven 25 May 10:11
    use of the Space key Jakub Friedl (lists) 25 May 10:32
   use of the Space key Sven Neumann 26 May 02:14
    use of the Space key Jakub Friedl (lists) 27 May 15:54
use of the Space key Pierre-Alexis 26 May 09:42
bc9d5105052306231286248c@ma... 07 Oct 20:23
  use of the Space key Jakub Friedl (lists) 23 May 15:27
Sven Neumann
2005-05-21 17:00:27 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

use of the Space key

Hi,

I consider to change what GIMP uses the Space key for and would like to get some user feedback on this. Currently, pressing the Space key temporarily switches to the move tool. This is sometimes convenient but I am not sure if it is all that useful.

Another image manipulation program, which GIMP is frequently being compared to, uses the Space key to offer the functionality that GIMP has bound to the middle mouse button: panning the image display. Since not everyone has a middle mouse button (especially on tablet pens), it might be a good idea to follow that example. If we did that, pressing Space would keep the current tool but the cursor would change to a hand symbol and one could drag the image display (not the content!) using the mouse.

Any opinions on that, anyone?

Sven

Jakub Steiner
2005-05-22 13:50:36 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

use of the Space key

On Sat, 2005-05-21 at 17:00 +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

I consider to change what GIMP uses the Space key for and would like to get some user feedback on this. Currently, pressing the Space key temporarily switches to the move tool. This is sometimes convenient but I am not sure if it is all that useful.

Another image manipulation program, which GIMP is frequently being compared to, uses the Space key to offer the functionality that GIMP has bound to the middle mouse button: panning the image display. Since not everyone has a middle mouse button (especially on tablet pens), it might be a good idea to follow that example. If we did that, pressing Space would keep the current tool but the cursor would change to a hand symbol and one could drag the image display (not the content!) using the mouse.

Hola Sven.
I was initially very excited about the GIMP's behaviour. But I found myself mostly sticking to swapping the active tool with the default shortcuts. Sounds like a great workflow speedup in theory, but I don't really use it :/

I see it as a good thing to use spacebar for panning, helping a lot of people transitioning to the free software tool. Two thumbs up.

cheers

Adam D. Moss
2005-05-22 18:10:22 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

use of the Space key

Sven Neumann wrote:

I agree that the space key should be reserved for something pretty amazingly common and useful. I suppose it's also likely that panning the image is a slightly more common temporary mode of action than moving a layer, regardless of what The Other program does, though we DO have a super-handy little single-click panning tool on the image window already, so overall I don't think it's a compelling win (or loss).

--Adam

kristin falck peña
2005-05-22 18:21:46 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

use of the Space key

Sven Neumann wrote:

If we did that, pressing
Space would keep the current tool but the cursor would change to a hand symbol and one could drag the image display (not the content!) using the mouse.

Oh, yes - please! That makes detail-working so much easier.

_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

Jakub Friedl (lists)
2005-05-22 21:40:45 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

use of the Space key

it is a good idea. the descibed behaviour is really handy when editing zoomed in image. however i use the current space function too. would it be possible to use a different key for the temporary move tool?

Jakub Friedl

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2005-05-22 23:55:13 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

use of the Space key

Hi,
I find the current use of the space key just great. If other image manipul;ation programs fail to do that, that is a lack of functionality on those programs - I see no reason to "downgrade" the GIMP just to get the look and feel of other programs. The panning funcionality on the botton right corner of the image windows works allright for me - maybe there could be a way to let that more visible.

OTOH, what about making it configurable? Is it feasible?

Regards, joao
->

On Saturday 21 May 2005 12:00, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Sven

Sven Neumann
2005-05-23 00:30:23 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

use of the Space key

Hi,

"Jakub Friedl (lists)" writes:

it is a good idea. the descibed behaviour is really handy when editing zoomed in image. however i use the current space function too. would it be possible to use a different key for the temporary move tool?

Anything is possible but the question is if it is a good idea to implement any possible option. The current feature is hard to discover already, adding another key will hide it even more. Since tools can already be switched using the keyboard, I propose that the current behaviour is ditched in favor of the panning feature.

Sven

Jakub Friedl (lists)
2005-05-23 00:45:42 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

use of the Space key

imho it is not a problem to have "hidden" features, if knowledge of such features is not required. at least we have some bonus for people rading the manual then. however i certainly support implementing the panning feature for the space key, because it is more useful than the current switch to move tool. i can live with normal keys for switching tools, even if it requires one more keypress.

Jakub Friedl

Jakub Friedl (lists)
2005-05-23 09:21:33 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

use of the Space key

funcionality on the botton right corner of the image windows works allright for me - maybe there could be a way to let that more visible.

That feature is really great when you need just panning, but in some cases it is not enough. I very often do retouching of zoomed photos with quick brush strokes and i do need a way to pan in the image very often. The Space is just ideal for that:
stroke, stroke, stroke.... hit space and pan... stroke stroke stroke... hits space and pan... stroke stroke stroke --- this way i do not move my mouse/tablet cursor from the comfortable working area at all and it really speeds things up.

Jakub Friedl

Andreas Røsdal
2005-05-23 12:20:45 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

use of the Space key

Adam D. Moss wrote:

Sven Neumann wrote:

I agree that the space key should be reserved for something pretty amazingly common and useful.

To decide which operation which is most common, it would be interesting to see
some numbers comparing the two alternatives (and perhaps others). One could gather
data for which operation is most often executed by a "typical" user, sort of like a usability test.
In fact, a totally different operation might be used more than either of these alternatives.
This could be something to do on the next GIMPCon or similar.

However, the resemblance with Another image manipulation program might be important also.

Andreas R.

Fredrik Alströmer
2005-05-23 15:16:05 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

use of the Space key

Jakub Friedl (lists) wrote:

imho it is not a problem to have "hidden" features, if knowledge of such features is not required. at least we have some bonus for people rading the manual then. however i certainly support implementing the panning feature for the space key, because it is more useful than the current switch to move tool. i can live with normal keys for switching tools, even if it requires one more keypress.

A simple shift-key modifier (or the like) perhaps? I use the space-move tool too, especially when placing text as these are, for me, the most common "off-size" type of layer.

A bit of a nuisance though, the fact that it is the space key sometimes causes it to put a random number of spaces in the text.... I guess that's another issue. :)

Laxminarayan Kamath
2005-05-23 15:24:10 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

use of the Space key

An entire new idea of keystrokes : for the keyboard shortcuts: if you press a key the normal way ,it will select the tool indefinetely alright. But if the key is pressed and held, and i do something, and then release the key, the tool reverts back to the one last used.

very helpful for quick erasing,color picking, moving, panning, selection, unfloating floating area, etc. etc. etc.... :-)

Jakub Friedl (lists)
2005-05-23 15:27:06 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

use of the Space key

very helpful for quick erasing,color picking, moving, panning, selection, unfloating floating area, etc. etc. etc.... :-) --

would it be possible to extend dynamic shortcuts feature to this area?

Tino Schwarze
2005-05-23 16:22:46 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

use of the Space key

On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 06:54:10PM +0530, Laxminarayan Kamath wrote:

An entire new idea of keystrokes : for the keyboard shortcuts: if you press a key the normal way ,it will select the tool indefinetely alright. But if the key is pressed and held, and i do something, and then release the key, the tool reverts back to the one last used.

very helpful for quick erasing,color picking, moving, panning, selection, unfloating floating area, etc. etc. etc.... :-)

That would be cool!

Bye, Ti"I want it!"no.

GSR - FR
2005-05-23 17:51:49 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

use of the Space key

Hi,
sven@gimp.org (2005-05-21 at 1700.27 +0200):

Another image manipulation program, which GIMP is frequently being compared to, uses the Space key to offer the functionality that GIMP has bound to the middle mouse button: panning the image display. Since not everyone has a middle mouse button (especially on tablet pens), it

Last tablets I tried (not tablet pc, but the input device ones) seem to have tip and two side buttons (so MB1, MB2 and MB3 as per X11 terms are avaliable). OTOH, I am talking about the typical brand of tablets, dunno other brands.

As is, it is just moving from MB2 to MB1+Space, so requires two hands and still moves the pointer. Only adventage I see is when there is no MB2 at all (single button devices without any option to simulate other buttons).

might be a good idea to follow that example. If we did that, pressing Space would keep the current tool but the cursor would change to a hand symbol and one could drag the image display (not the content!) using the mouse.

So I wonder... are there other better uses? Alternate between two tools for example? Or would there be a way to make it configurable, so anyone can bind any function to it (I ask due the "only while pressed" vs "press & release", and the lack of "move view" tool)?

GSR

Sven Neumann
2005-05-24 01:08:35 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

use of the Space key

Hi,

Laxminarayan Kamath writes:

Sounds interesting. Probably worth trying. Anyone?

Sven

GSR - FR
2005-05-24 02:16:52 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

use of the Space key

Hi,
adam@gimp.org (2005-05-22 at 1710.22 +0100):

I agree that the space key should be reserved for something pretty amazingly common and useful. I suppose it's also likely that panning the image is a slightly more common temporary mode of action than moving a layer, regardless of what The Other program does, though we DO have a super-handy little single-click panning tool on the image window already, so overall I don't think it's a compelling win (or loss).

I have been thinking, and remember some people were saying tools were running out of mod keys. Why not reserve it for those cases? Tools could use shift, control, alt and space. Or is the any technical limitation about making mod+space a mod?

Space alone obviously not, but dunno if it would give us a single key, or another level. Still one mod more is a win, a family of them a bigger one, specially if it makes all the required operations to be based in one or two keys, never three.

GSR

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2005-05-24 03:18:59 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

use of the Space key

On Monday 23 May 2005 20:08, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Laxminarayan Kamath writes:

Sounds interesting. Probably worth trying. Anyone?

I like the idea.
I had never looked at this part of the code. I believe that with Gimp contexts it is possible to "push" any tool with the current code already?

JS
->

Sven

Sven Neumann
2005-05-24 10:43:59 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

use of the Space key

Hi,

GSR - FR writes:

I have been thinking, and remember some people were saying tools were running out of mod keys. Why not reserve it for those cases? Tools could use shift, control, alt and space. Or is the any technical limitation about making mod+space a mod?

The fact that we are running out of modifier keys means that we have a problem to solve. But I very much doubt that adding more modifier keys is a reasonable approach to it. If a tool needs more than the available modifier keys, then it should probably be split into multiple tools.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2005-05-24 11:07:08 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

use of the Space key

Hi,

Andreas Røsdal writes:

To decide which operation which is most common, it would be interesting to see some numbers comparing the two alternatives (and perhaps others). One could gather data for which operation is most often executed by a "typical" user, sort of like a usability test. In fact, a totally different operation might be used more than either of these alternatives. This could be something to do on the next GIMPCon or similar.

Very good point, except that GIMPCon is probably not the right event to do usability testing. After all usability tests should be done with users; experienced and new users.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2005-05-24 11:16:00 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

use of the Space key

Hi,

GSR - FR writes:

So I wonder... are there other better uses? Alternate between two tools for example? Or would there be a way to make it configurable, so anyone can bind any function to it (I ask due the "only while pressed" vs "press & release", and the lack of "move view" tool)?

We should be very careful here and keep in mind that the feature should be discoverable. If the user presses the Space key, it needs to become obvious what is happening. Changing the cursor to a hand should make it clear that dragging with the mouse will now pan the display.

If instead we switched to the last-used tool, the user will only see that a tool switch takes place. She will probably be surprised that it switches to a different tool next time she tries. It will be rather hard to grasp that the tool changes to the last used tool. A lot of users will simply not understand the logic and won't use it because the behaviour appears as random.

Sven

Laxminarayan Kamath
2005-05-24 13:18:31 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

use of the Space key

On 5/23/05, Laxminarayan Kamath wrote:

EH ! I forgot to mention how the feature could help the current thread's problem:
If this feature is implemented, "m" can be pushed for what is now for space. and space can be pused for panning!

Adam D. Moss
2005-05-24 14:36:04 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

use of the Space key

Jakub Friedl (lists) wrote:

The genius behind the choice of space key is that it can easily be hit (on all keyboard layouts!) without looking away from the screen...

--adam

Jakub Friedl (lists)
2005-05-24 14:53:07 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

use of the Space key

The genius behind the choice of space key is that it can easily be hit (on all keyboard layouts!) without looking away from the screen...

exactly, and this is(imho, of course) most useful for panning

Jakub Friedl

Akkana Peck
2005-05-25 02:12:24 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

use of the Space key

Sven Neumann writes:

I consider to change what GIMP uses the Space key for and would like to get some user feedback on this. Currently, pressing the Space key temporarily switches to the move tool.

Spacebar to switch temporarily to move is awfully useful. I didn't know about it until this discussion, but I've often wanted something like that -- I'm forever switching between move and something else, for instance when I'm creating lots of different text layers and need to position each one. If you change spacebar to pan, I hope you'll consider investing some other key with this "temporary move tool" meaning. Now that I've known about it for a couple days I'm already sorry to have to give it up!

Do a lot of gimp users not have a middle mouse button? Maybe tablet users who don't want to put down the stylus and switch to a mouse? (That would be understandable.) Or is this just because ... that other program does it that way, and its users are used to it?

...Akkana

Roel Schroeven
2005-05-25 10:11:14 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

use of the Space key

Akkana Peck wrote:

Do a lot of gimp users not have a middle mouse button? Maybe tablet users who don't want to put down the stylus and switch to a mouse? (That would be understandable.) Or is this just because ... that other program does it that way, and its users are used to it?

My laptop, and I suspect other laptops too, doesn't have a middle mouse button. Not that it matters that much, since I can attach a real mouse when I want to do serious graphic work.

Jakub Friedl (lists)
2005-05-25 10:32:39 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

use of the Space key

Do a lot of gimp users not have a middle mouse button? Maybe tablet users who don't want to put down the stylus and switch to a mouse?

i do not have - a tablet and a notebook

Jakub Friedl

Sven Neumann
2005-05-26 02:14:44 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

use of the Space key

Hi,

Akkana Peck writes:

Spacebar to switch temporarily to move is awfully useful. I didn't know about it until this discussion, but I've often wanted something like that

See, that is exactly my point. The feature is not discoverable and it might make sense to exchange it for something which is probably at least as useful but wider known.

I'm forever switching between move and something else, for instance when I'm creating lots of different text layers and need to position each one.

That's just a missing feature in the text tool. Of course the text tool should allow you to move text layers.

Because I tried it and I made the experience that it pressing a key with the second hand disturbs the workflow less than to switch mouse buttons. But perhaps this needs actual user testing.

Sven

Pierre-Alexis
2005-05-26 09:42:07 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

use of the Space key

Hello,

Why not use another key (or key combination) for that function ? Maybe it's not Photoshop's behavior, but Gimp's not really just a Photoshop's clone...

Pierre-Alexis. ______________

--- Sven Neumann a écrit:

Hi,

Akkana Peck writes:

Spacebar to switch temporarily to move is awfully

useful. I didn't

know about it until this discussion, but I've

often wanted something

like that

See, that is exactly my point. The feature is not discoverable and it
might make sense to exchange it for something which is probably at
least as useful but wider known.

I'm forever switching between move and something

else,

for instance when I'm creating lots of different

text layers and

need to position each one.

That's just a missing feature in the text tool. Of course the text
tool should allow you to move text layers.

Do a lot of gimp users not have a middle mouse

button? Maybe tablet

users who don't want to put down the stylus and

switch to a mouse?

(That would be understandable.) Or is this just

because ... that

other program does it that way, and its users are

used to it?

Because I tried it and I made the experience that it pressing a key
with the second hand disturbs the workflow less than to switch mouse
buttons. But perhaps this needs actual user testing.

Sven

Jakub Friedl (lists)
2005-05-27 15:54:41 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

use of the Space key

Because I tried it and I made the experience that it pressing a key with the second hand disturbs the workflow less than to switch mouse buttons.

agreed

Jakub Friedl