RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

who can tell me the type of color quantization algorithm in GIMP?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

who can tell me the type of color quantization algorithm in GIMP? YG Wang 21 May 10:55
  who can tell me the type of color quantization algorithm in GIMP? Adam D. Moss 24 May 18:28
YG Wang
2005-05-21 10:55:55 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

The color quantization in GIMP is high-quality. Can you tell me which algorithm it is? Thanks a lot!

Adam D. Moss
2005-05-24 18:28:03 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

YG Wang wrote:

The color quantization in GIMP is high-quality. Can you tell me which algorithm it is? Thanks a lot!

It resembles a common axis-aligned box-cut (I tried many, many alternatives and just kept coming back to an axis-aligned box-cut for simplicity). It has various changes over a median box cut though, in how it chooses which box to cut and then how it actually cuts it. For example the position of the cut is carefully considered, the axis of the cut is very carefully considered, and (most unusually I suspect) it may choose to perform multiple even cuts of the same box along the an axis to keep the error even across the axes of the resulting boxes. Finally (and quite significantly, but not a property of the algorithm as such) the quantization occurs in L*a*b* space instead of the common RGB-alike.

--Adam