RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

School Research Project

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

School Research Project Ansel Witthaus 29 Apr 00:21
  School Research Project Michael Schumacher 30 Apr 22:23
   School Research Project Ansel Witthaus 30 Apr 23:19
Ansel Witthaus
2005-04-29 00:21:18 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

School Research Project

Hello,

I am a student at Harvard University taking a Social Anthropology research seminar about Life-Online and communities in cyber-space. As my project I would like to study open-source software development and the communities that develop around these projects. I would be interested in writing my final paper on your project and the community dynamic it contains. I need to obtain approval from you and the people I interview within the project before I can continue. If you would like I could make this study completely anonymous, and hide the actual nature of the project and the identities of the participants. I just find the entire project you are running to be very interesting and would like to conduct research on the community that has evolved around the project.

If you are interested in helping me with my project, please reply to me directly.

Thanks,
Ansel Witthaus

Michael Schumacher
2005-04-30 22:23:33 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

School Research Project

Ansel Witthaus wrote:

Hello,

I need to obtain approval from you and the people I interview within the project before I can continue.

Thanks for asking.
There is no one in a position to explicitely give or deny you the permission to write a paper about The GIMP, though, so if the policy of your research project requires explicit permission, you gotta change the rules :)

Let's hope many people want to participate.

HTH, Michael

Ansel Witthaus
2005-04-30 23:19:51 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

School Research Project

I just need no one to dissent from me researching, so I will assume that no one has.

Basically I am looking to find out how an open source software community starts and the hierarchy it has created. To that end I would like to interview the founders (which it is my understanding it will be hard to get ahold of them), a few higher level developers, and a few people who just dabble. I want to see why people start them and contribute to them. I will be writing up a set of questions that it would be great if a few people could answer. I will send out a link to that in the near future. Thanks to those of you who have shown interest, and to those of you who haven't replied to me yet, I would love to have your thoughts also, even if you don't have time to answer all of my questions. I will make my findings available to all of you if you are interested in what my final paper is about.

Ansel

On Apr 30, 2005, at 4:23 PM, Michael Schumacher wrote:

Ansel Witthaus wrote:

Hello,

I need to obtain approval from you and the people I interview within the project before I can continue.

Thanks for asking.
There is no one in a position to explicitely give or deny you the permission to write a paper about The GIMP, though, so if the policy of
your research project requires explicit permission, you gotta change the
rules :)

Let's hope many people want to participate.

HTH, Michael