RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Organising a conference

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Organising a conference Dave Neary 21 Apr 13:17
  Organising a conference Hal V Engel 23 Apr 19:41
  Organising a conference Jon A. Cruz 25 Apr 04:18
Organising a conference David Neary 24 Apr 21:53
20050423190026.9CBF813B63@l... 07 Oct 20:23
  Organising a conference PLinnell 24 Apr 23:28
20050423180015.GD12631@schm... 07 Oct 20:23
  Organising a conference David Neary 25 Apr 22:52
Dave Neary
2005-04-21 13:17:41 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Organising a conference

Hi all,

A separate mail to talk about what we can do with the money we have now. It is certainly enough to start planning a GIMPCon, if someone is willing to put the work into doing that.

If we do plan a GIMPCon, though, I would recommend being a little more open about it than the summit type events which we had in Berlin and at GUADEC. We should try to organise a couple of days of talks and demos open to the public, and why not get some Inkscape, Scribus, OO Draw and Blender people involved and make it a Free Graphics Con.

One candidate, if people are interested, would be to join up with Blender Con, which is planned for October, in Amsterdam.

Just to be clear, I am not in a position to put time into this. If we are to have a GIMPCon this year, someone else will have to organise it. I have no problem being an intermediary with the GNOME Foundation for money, though.

Cheers,
Dave.

Hal V Engel
2005-04-23 19:41:58 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Organising a conference

On Thursday 21 April 2005 04:17 am, Dave Neary wrote:

Hi all,

A separate mail to talk about what we can do with the money we have now. It is certainly enough to start planning a GIMPCon, if someone is willing to put the work into doing that.

If we do plan a GIMPCon, though, I would recommend being a little more open about it than the summit type events which we had in Berlin and at GUADEC. We should try to organise a couple of days of talks and demos open to the public, and why not get some Inkscape, Scribus, OO Draw and Blender people involved and make it a Free Graphics Con.

If you are going to do a "Free Graphics Con" there are other projects that should also be involved. I would include CinePaint, Hugin, autopano-SIFT, panotools and enblend in the list of graphics projects to invite. There might be other projects that should be included as well.

One candidate, if people are interested, would be to join up with Blender Con, which is planned for October, in Amsterdam.

Just to be clear, I am not in a position to put time into this. If we are to have a GIMPCon this year, someone else will have to organise it. I have no problem being an intermediary with the GNOME Foundation for money, though.

Cheers,
Dave.

David Neary
2005-04-24 21:53:25 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Organising a conference

Hi,

On Thursday 21 April 2005 04:17 am, Hal Engel wrote:

If we do plan a GIMPCon, though, I would recommend being a little

more

open about it than the summit type events which we had in Berlin and

at

GUADEC. We should try to organise a couple of days of talks and demos open to the public, and why not get some Inkscape, Scribus, OO Draw

and

Blender people involved and make it a Free Graphics Con.

If you are going to do a "Free Graphics Con" there are other projects that
should also be involved. I would include CinePaint, Hugin, autopano-SIFT,
panotools and enblend in the list of graphics projects to invite. There
might be other projects that should be included as well.

Be sure to add them to the list of people you invite (once you're pretty sure that the main GIMP developers can be there). If you want to get in touch with Ton let me know and I'll pass you his e-mail address.

Cheers, Dave.

PLinnell
2005-04-24 23:28:51 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Organising a conference

On Saturday 23 April 2005 21:00, gimp-developer-request@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu wrote:

Today's Topics:

1. Re: Organising a conference (Hal V Engel)

------------------------------------------------------------------- ---

Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 10:41:58 -0700 From: Hal V Engel
To: gimp-developer@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Organising a conference Message-ID:
In-Reply-To:
References:
Content-Type: multipart/signed;
boundary="nextPart19559738.mY7RWxvJ0j"; protocol="application/pgp-signature"; micalg=pgp-sha1
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Precedence: list

--nextPart19559738.mY7RWxvJ0j Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline

On Thursday 21 April 2005 04:17 am, Dave Neary wrote:

Hi all,

If you are going to do a "Free Graphics Con" there are other projects that= =20
should also be involved. I would include CinePaint, Hugin, autopano-SIFT,= =20
panotools and enblend in the list of graphics projects to invite. There=20 might be other projects that should be included as well.

Cheers, Dave.

Hi,

As an FYI, we are pondering a 2006 Scribus User and Devel meet, but would this be of interest to do as Free Graphics Meet ?

Cheers, Peter

Jon A. Cruz
2005-04-25 04:18:12 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Organising a conference

Dave Neary wrote:

From the Inkscape side of things, I know we like to participate whenever things are close enough to be affordable. I'm stuck down in Southern California, but we do have a good spread of people in many countries who like to get around. (I think one of our more communicative guys is off in Korea now).

David Neary
2005-04-25 22:52:34 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Organising a conference

Hi Marc,

On Apr 23, 2005, at 8:00 PM, Marc Lehmann wrote:

On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 01:17:41PM +0200, Dave Neary wrote:

Blender people involved and make it a Free Graphics Con.

One might want to change the text on http://www.gimp.org/donating/ then,
which explicitly talks about gimp developers. While I am sure most donators don't care, some might, and it would be only fair to be straight
about the usage of the money they donate.

People donating money to the GIMP are donating it to the GIMP. I was making a suggestion about the scope of the event (if there is to be one), and not how the money people donate would be spent. In fact, my understanding is that since the money was donated to the GNOME Foundation for use to support the GIMP, the GNOME Foundation can only free up the funds for that use.

Any such event would surely attract interest from companies willing to sponsor it. What having money does is give us a cushion to get people to the event that need to be there to keep the GIMP going forward.

Cheers, Dave.