RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp icon copyright?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Gimp icon copyright? Campbell Barton 10 Apr 00:40
  Gimp icon copyright? Sven Neumann 10 Apr 12:56
   Gimp icon copyright? Shlomi Fish 10 Apr 13:06
    Gimp icon copyright? Sven Neumann 10 Apr 17:26
   Gimp icon copyright? Adam D. Moss 10 Apr 13:52
    Gimp icon copyright? Sven Neumann 10 Apr 15:23
Gimp icon copyright? David Neary 10 Apr 10:27
Campbell Barton
2005-04-10 00:40:09 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Gimp icon copyright?

Hi, just wondering if I could use unmodified gimp icons in a commercial project, what licence are they under? - Cam

David Neary
2005-04-10 10:27:58 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Gimp icon copyright?

Hi Cam,

Wilber is a Tuomas Kuosmannen (sp?) (better known as tigert) creation.

Cheers, Dave.

Sven Neumann
2005-04-10 12:56:48 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Gimp icon copyright?

Hi,

Campbell Barton writes:

Hi, just wondering if I could use unmodified gimp icons in a commercial project, what licence are they under?

The GIMP icons are part of the source code and thus licensed as GPL. So you must not use them in a commercial product.

Sven

Shlomi Fish
2005-04-10 13:06:46 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Gimp icon copyright?

On Sunday 10 April 2005 13:56, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Campbell Barton writes:

Hi, just wondering if I could use unmodified gimp icons in a commercial project, what licence are they under?

The GIMP icons are part of the source code and thus licensed as GPL. So you must not use them in a commercial product.

I beg to ask this: suppose he extracts these icons into their own files (.ico, .png or whatever), and then his proprietary application displays these files as part of the GUI. (all of this while putting the files on his site for free download under the GPL license). Would that be considered a violation of the GPL?

As far as I know, proprietary applications can freely open and process GPLed code. So I don't think there's a problem here.

Regards,

Shlomi Fish

--------------------------------------------------------------------- Shlomi Fish shlomif@iglu.org.il Homepage: http://www.shlomifish.org/

Hacker sees bug. Hacker fixes bug.

Adam D. Moss
2005-04-10 13:52:26 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Gimp icon copyright?

Sven Neumann wrote:

More specifically a non-GPL commercial product. Using them in a GPL commercial product would be fine. Also I believe s/using/distributing with/.

--Adam

Sven Neumann
2005-04-10 15:23:53 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Gimp icon copyright?

Hi,

"Adam D. Moss" writes:

More specifically a non-GPL commercial product. Using them in a GPL commercial product would be fine. Also I believe s/using/distributing with/.

Right. Thanks for correcting me.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2005-04-10 17:26:48 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Gimp icon copyright?

Hi,

Shlomi Fish writes:

I beg to ask this: suppose he extracts these icons into their own files (.ico, .png or whatever), and then his proprietary application displays these files as part of the GUI. (all of this while putting the files on his site for free download under the GPL license). Would that be considered a violation of the GPL?

As far as I know, proprietary applications can freely open and process GPLed code. So I don't think there's a problem here.

It is not our job to discuss such questions and we are also not qualified to do that. It is up to Mr. Barton to consult a lawyer and ask for legal advice.

Sven