RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Remote operation for gimp

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Remote operation for gimp <angry.daniel@gmail.com> 29 Mar 03:51
Remote operation for gimp William Skaggs 29 Mar 18:33
<angry.daniel@gmail.com>
2005-03-29 03:51:45 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Hello, I am working on a plugin to allow another application I'm working on to run gimp instead of the user. The idea is a 3d painter application that can make use of all the gimp tools but through a 3d view instead of the normal 2d texture. I already have implemented enough to use the pencil remotely.

My question is, is there any alternate way to use the tools other then the gimptools methods? The problem is I want to see updates as the user does things, and to do that I need to be continuously passing information to the plugin, but because the tools count each call to gimp_pencil for example as an undo able operation undo becomes pretty useless. A way to do the operations but not remember it for undo until I say would be a possible solution.

One other thing I noticed is even if I queue all data from the user exactly as inputted I don't get enough input points from gtk to provide smooth lines. I assume gimp is interpolating between the points it gets in order to get the smooth effect, is there a way for the plugin to use this or will I need to do this myself?

Thanks Daniel

William Skaggs
2005-03-29 18:33:19 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Daniel wrote:

My question is, is there any alternate way to use the tools other then the gimptools methods?

No, not really.

A way to do the operations but not remember it for undo until I say would be a possible solution.

That's easy, see

http://developer.gimp.org/api/2.0/libgimp/libgimp-gimpundo.html

I assume gimp is interpolating between the points it gets in order to get the smooth effect, is there a way for the plugin to use this or will I need to do this myself?

GIMP does interpolate for paint tools, you can find the code in app/paint/gimpbrushcore.c and elsewhere. This functionality is not currently exported to libgimp; it might be easier to arrange this than to rewrite the code on your own, since it is rather complex.

I presume, by the way, that you actually *are* getting all the pointer motion information gdk can provide, i.e., you are using GDK_POINTER_MOTION_MASK in your event mask rather than GDK_POINTER_MOTION_HINT_MASK.

Best, -- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the CNPRC Email system at primate.ucdavis.edu