RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Report from GIMP talk at FOSDEM

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Report from GIMP talk at FOSDEM Raphaël Quinet 01 Mar 19:03
  MDI [was Re: Report from GIMP talk at FOSDEM] Shlomi Fish 02 Mar 10:30
  Report from GIMP talk at FOSDEM Sven Neumann 02 Mar 13:26
   Report from GIMP talk at FOSDEM Sven Neumann 02 Mar 14:09
   Report from GIMP talk at FOSDEM Dennis Bjorklund 02 Mar 18:22
    Report from GIMP talk at FOSDEM Sven Neumann 02 Mar 21:38
     Report from GIMP talk at FOSDEM Dennis Bjorklund 02 Mar 21:41
      Report from GIMP talk at FOSDEM Sven Neumann 02 Mar 22:03
Raphaël Quinet
2005-03-01 19:03:01 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Some short notes about my talk on GIMP 2.2+ and the feedback that I got during and after the presentation:

- Several people liked the improved drag-and-drop support and it looks like some of them were not aware of the option to drag images as new layers inside an existing image.

- They also seemed to like the generated brushes and the fact that they can be resized easily with some keyboard shortcuts.

- Amusingly, the most visible features (previews in tools and plug-ins, for example) caused less reactions than the useful tricks (drag-and-drop, keyboard shortcuts) that are not visible until someone shows them to you or you take the time to read all help pages.

- I got some expected questions about the user interface and these turned into a 10 minutes debate between some who would like to see some kind of MDI support (like Photoshop and other programs) and others who prefer the current interface. The expected conclusion is that having MDI as an option would be useful for many users but this will only materialize if someone takes the time to write the code.

- One guy asked about better support for typesetting and said that the GIMP was unusable for any serious work if it did not support text orientation and letter spacing. He insisted very much on that. Thanks to Pippin for telling him that most of the infrastructure is ready for that in Pango, but it takes time to implement the GIMP part (UI and logic). I doubt that the guy will submit a patch, though...

- I got some questions about how to make sure that one can take a picture in raw format from a digicam (e.g., with gtkam) and have all the metadata correctly handled and preserved until the final image is saved. This is too difficult today, especially if dcraw messes up the metadata for raw images.

- One guy asked if a plug-in could be notified of any changes to an image so that it could propagate those changes to another image or a preview. This could be an interesting idea that needs more discussion and would require some changes to the plug-in API and wire protocol.

- Surprisingly, I did not get too many questions about support for CMYK or more than 8 bits per channel.

Other tidbits about FOSDEM:

- Judging by the attendance, the talk by Alan Cox on Sunday about how to manage a stable kernel seemed to be the most popular. The room had 1400+ seats and 3/4 were occupied.

- The KDE people were visible and well organized: they printed small posters for each KDE talk with a nice Konqui image, the title of the presentation, its location and time. They were everywhere. In comparison, the advertisements for GNOME talks were invisible. Even GNUstep and Plan 9 had more posters.

- There were many interesting presentations. Among those that I enjoyed: Wikipedia by Jimbo Wales, Kernel by Alan Cox, GPL Enforcement by Harald Welte and the desktop track with KDE by Matthias Ettrich, XFCE by Olivier Fourdan and Nautilus by Alex Larsson.

- I hope that I will see more GIMP developers next year!

-Raphaël

Shlomi Fish
2005-03-02 10:30:47 UTC (about 19 years ago)

MDI [was Re: Report from GIMP talk at FOSDEM]

On Tuesday 01 March 2005 20:03, Raphaël Quinet wrote:

- I got some expected questions about the user interface and these turned into a 10 minutes debate between some who would like to see some kind of MDI support (like Photoshop and other programs) and others who prefer the current interface. The expected conclusion is that having MDI as an option would be useful for many users but this will only materialize if someone takes the time to write the code.

I'd like to try enabling MDI (i.e: all the images and dialogs inside one big window) support. Can anyone outline the basic changes in the code that need to be performed, for this to materialize?

Regards,

Shlomi Fish

--------------------------------------------------------------------- Shlomi Fish shlomif@iglu.org.il Homepage: http://www.shlomifish.org/

Knuth is not God! It took him two days to build the Roman Empire.

Sven Neumann
2005-03-02 13:26:02 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Hi,

Raphaël Quinet writes:

- One guy asked about better support for typesetting and said that the GIMP was unusable for any serious work if it did not support text orientation and letter spacing. He insisted very much on that. Thanks to Pippin for telling him that most of the infrastructure is ready for that in Pango, but it takes time to implement the GIMP part (UI and logic). I doubt that the guy will submit a patch, though...

I am sorry but last I checked, Pango didn't have support for letter spacing yet nor does it support vertical text. It also doesn't support justified text yet.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2005-03-02 14:09:20 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Hi,

Sven Neumann writes:

I am sorry but last I checked, Pango didn't have support for letter spacing yet.

Hmm, apparently that was a wrong assumption. It looks like Owen sneaked this feature into Pango without adding any note whatsoever to bug #125483. Enabling it in GIMP was trivial, so we now have support for letter-spacing adjustment in the CVS version.

Sven

Dennis Bjorklund
2005-03-02 18:22:52 UTC (about 19 years ago)

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Sven Neumann wrote:

Pango didn't have support for letter spacing yet nor does it support vertical text.

The release notes for pango 1.5 includes this which I hope should help with the vertical text (or any angle):

* Add support for rotated rendering to the FT2 backend

Sven Neumann
2005-03-02 21:38:07 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Hi,

Dennis Bjorklund writes:

Pango didn't have support for letter spacing yet nor does it support vertical text.

The release notes for pango 1.5 includes this which I hope should help with the vertical text (or any angle):

* Add support for rotated rendering to the FT2 backend

Vertical text is different from rotated text. Text transformations will go into GIMP 2.4 (and will most likely not use the Pango text transform routines). Vertical text however has the glyphs all upright but is rendered from top to bottom (like chinese).

Sven

Dennis Bjorklund
2005-03-02 21:41:08 UTC (about 19 years ago)

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Sven Neumann wrote:

transform routines). Vertical text however has the glyphs all upright but is rendered from top to bottom (like chinese).

Isn't that just normal (centered) text with newlines between each character?

Sven Neumann
2005-03-02 22:03:12 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Hi,

Dennis Bjorklund writes:

transform routines). Vertical text however has the glyphs all upright but is rendered from top to bottom (like chinese).

Isn't that just normal (centered) text with newlines between each character?

No, that would give you a line height of distance between the baselines, not the vertical offset as defined in the font (if the font is suitable for vertical rendering at all). Of course you can trick it this way and may end up with something that looks close enough.

Sven