RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Interested in color management

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 1 message available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Interested in color management Francisco Bernal Rosso 12 Feb 22:50
Francisco Bernal Rosso
2005-02-12 22:50:07 UTC (about 19 years ago)

Interested in color management

First to say I am sorry if some of my last post have been a little rought, I dono t have a great command of english, as you, I'm afraid, can experiment in this moments.

Thanks to Hal, Sven and Carol for explain what CVS is. I do not have any experience with this technology, though I have a certain skills in C programming, programming application for scientific and technical solutions. I have certain knowledge of color management (I usually work as advisor in digital technology in prepress, CAD and photography) and are really interesetd in a free soft solution to prepress and photographic fields. I have been working, on my own, on a library for color processing. Not a great thing, but I have some knowledge of color science and light physics (no, I am not physic, I studied a minor electronic engineering) and some experience in fuzzy expert systems.
I would like to work in the backend of the color system. As I say, I am photographer, wishing a professional use for Gimp.

As photographer I see 3 lack for professional use of GIMP:

1 Not efficient CM. 2 Not working on 16 bits.
3 Not color separations neither an efective CMYK use.

As photographer I work in this way:

The image comes in an specific color space. That of the camera/scanner. The engine read this RGB numbers (say image data) and translate it to a "device independent" color space which have a specific color mean. There are ideal color modes to represent this "real color" (Lab, XYZ) and some not so idealm, but practical spaces (AdobeRGB, ColorMatch). Once I have the "real color" I need to translate one sample of color to send to screen. This translation uses as "dictionary" the "screen profile" if it exist, or a sRGB if not. But, as photographer I am not interested in what I see on screen, but what I can get in a developing machinery. So I need to see how the color will appear. This is, use the screen as a proofing machine. Then I can translate the color from the "real color" (working space in adobe way of saying) to the "print color space" and then translate it again to the screen. Maybe with the sRGB definition or with the screen profile.
There are color that printer can render, but do not can render the screen. So we never will have that color in the monitor. And there will be some colors that the printer cannot render but can be doit by the screen. I need an advise when this happens. In Adobe color management systems there is a "out of gamut" mark in the info palette. What I have been working is in a system to translate from the file, to the screen and to the printer. I have not been programming the CMS. I have to connect my library to the CMS engine (one thing to do) and I do not have an user interface.
Actually my work is not much advanced, and I would like how can I help in the gimp color system management with this "color management for photographers" aimed system.

Thanks to all for the help. About the CVS. I am not skilled in gnu programming and I almost cannot understand the faqs. Because I see there are many overunderstaded concepts that, for some like me, results a little confusing. Thanks again Sven, Hall and Carol for their help to read that documentation.

/*--------------------------------------*/

"Podemos refutar el antiguo mito, tantas veces aludido, del papel predominantede la sección áurea en la época renacentista" (Rudolf Wittkover, "La proporción en el arte y en la arquitectura" Parte IV "Las proporciones renacentistas y la conmensurabilidad", 1949)

Francisco Bernal Rosso

Traducción y redacción técnica-CAD-visualización arquitectonica-fotografía técnica-iluminación y color.

Webpage at: http://www.geocities.com/pacorosso
http://www.fotoforum.net/socios/b/b_f/fotos.htm http://www.michelle7.com/contributors/r/paco_rosso.htm