RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

xtns->extras ?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

xtns->extras ? Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 23 Jan 04:50
  xtns->extras ? David Neary 23 Jan 13:05
  xtns->extras ? Sven Neumann 23 Jan 13:52
   xtns->extras ? Simon Budig 23 Jan 14:16
    xtns->extras ? Sven Neumann 23 Jan 17:46
     xtns->extras ? Simon Budig 23 Jan 17:53
   xtns->extras ? Dennis Bjorklund 23 Jan 14:28
  xtns->extras ? Alan Horkan 24 Jan 00:47
Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2005-01-23 04:50:27 UTC (about 19 years ago)

xtns->extras ?

Hi,

a few weeks ago I wrote mentioning that it might be a good idea to rename the "Xtns" menu entry to "Extras".

Unless my ISP account ate selected e-mails from the list, that got no answer.

On the optmistic side, I see that no one strongly disagrees with that.

Therefore, I am trying it again: What do you say about renaming "Xtns" to "Extras"? I think it would be a good change to the GIMP's general "look and feel".

Regards,

JS ->

David Neary
2005-01-23 13:05:34 UTC (about 19 years ago)

xtns->extras ?

Hi,

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:

What do you say about renaming "Xtns" to "Extras"? I think it would be a good change to the GIMP's general "look and feel".

I agree.

Dave.

Sven Neumann
2005-01-23 13:52:42 UTC (about 19 years ago)

xtns->extras ?

Hi,

"Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris" writes:

a few weeks ago I wrote mentioning that it might be a good idea to rename the "Xtns" menu entry to "Extras".

If it was that simple. There are however lots of scripts and plug-ins, that are out of our control, who are adding to the /Xtns menu. Changing the name of the menu in GIMP would cause two menu entries to appear in the toolbox: Extras and Xtns.

Sven

Simon Budig
2005-01-23 14:16:17 UTC (about 19 years ago)

xtns->extras ?

Sven Neumann (sven@gimp.org) wrote:

"Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris" writes:

If it was that simple. There are however lots of scripts and plug-ins, that are out of our control, who are adding to the /Xtns menu. Changing the name of the menu in GIMP would cause two menu entries to appear in the toolbox: Extras and Xtns.

Maybe there could be a workaround until we decide to break binary compatibility. I am not sure if the following would work, but maybe we can ask the translators to translate "Xtns" as "Extras", this should tackle the problem when the Gimp messages get translated (i.e. the user starts Gimp with LC_MESSAGES != "C" or "POSIX").

Is this a crack idea?

Bye, Simon

Dennis Bjorklund
2005-01-23 14:28:06 UTC (about 19 years ago)

xtns->extras ?

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005, Sven Neumann wrote:

to rename the "Xtns" menu entry to "Extras".

How does that work with a translation of Gimp?

Sven Neumann
2005-01-23 17:46:01 UTC (about 19 years ago)

xtns->extras ?

Hi,

Simon Budig writes:

maybe we can ask the translators to translate "Xtns" as "Extras"

Translators already translate Xtns to whatever they feel is appropriate, or at least they are free to do that.

Sven

Simon Budig
2005-01-23 17:53:54 UTC (about 19 years ago)

xtns->extras ?

Sven Neumann (sven@gimp.org) wrote:

Simon Budig writes:

maybe we can ask the translators to translate "Xtns" as "Extras"

Translators already translate Xtns to whatever they feel is appropriate, or at least they are free to do that.

The idea was to translate "Xtns" to the same string that the possible new menu item "Extras" gets translated to.

Bye, Simon

Alan Horkan
2005-01-24 00:47:22 UTC (about 19 years ago)

xtns->extras ?

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005, Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:

Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 01:50:27 -0200 From: Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
To: gimp-developer@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: [Gimp-developer] xtns->extras ?

Hi,

Abbreviations are a bad idea, some languages inevitably require longer strings which is why most menus will have lots of spare space to the right.

Therefore, I am trying it again:
What do you say about renaming "Xtns" to "Extras"? I think it would be a good change to the GIMP's general "look and feel".

I dont think it will make much of a difference either way.

If this change were going to happen it might be best to make it part of the extensive menu overhaul that was considered but stalled.

- Alan H