RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

organizing gimp-data (brushes etc)

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

organizing gimp-data (brushes etc) William Skaggs 10 Jan 21:35
  organizing gimp-data (brushes etc) Sven Neumann 10 Jan 22:45
William Skaggs
2005-01-10 21:35:21 UTC (over 19 years ago)

I wrote:

6) Allow data items such as brushes, patterns, etc to be organized into categories. (Not implemented.)

I see #6 as far and away the most important, and I would like it to be the main focus of my effort, assuming we can come up with a good plan. We have discussed this on #gimp and made progress, I think, though not to the extent of pinning down the details.

Sven wrote:

I think we have already gone into the details here on gimp-developer.

Sorry, could you please give a pointer? I haven't managed to find any discussion more recent than 1997.

Best, -- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the CNPRC Email system at primate.ucdavis.edu

Sven Neumann
2005-01-10 22:45:24 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

"William Skaggs" writes:

Sorry, could you please give a pointer? I haven't managed to find any discussion more recent than 1997.

A few months ago, I outlined possible ways to cut down the startup time of GIMP. The solution I suggested involves adding configuration files for the data files which is a prerequisite for a hierarchical organization of these files. It's basically the first step that needs to be be taken. Instead of reading the brush files on startup, populate the brush GimpContainer from a brushrc file. This would be very similar to how information about plug-ins is stored in pluginrc. Thanks to GimpConfig, this should be pretty much straight-forward. As soon as this is done, we can switch to nested GimpContainers. GimpConfig supports this already, so it's basically only the user interface that will need to be changed.

Sven