RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

size-pressure relationship has been inverted for airbrush: complaints sought

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

William Skaggs
2004-12-31 17:08:28 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

I just made a one-line change in cvs head, suggested by Dave Ahlswede, that inverts the relationship between pressure and brush size for the airbrush, on the grounds that this more accurately reflects the behavior of a real airbrush. People who use tablets should try it and see if they approve, and complain here if they don't.

Dave actually created a nice patch that makes it a tool option to invert the pressure-size relationship, but it seems better to avoid options unless people will actually use them. Hence this email. If you think it ought to be optional (or was a bad idea in the first place), please express your opinion.

Best,
-- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the CNPRC Email system at primate.ucdavis.edu

Thorsten Wilms
2005-01-01 12:58:50 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 08:08:28AM -0800, William Skaggs wrote:

Hi,

I just made a one-line change in cvs head, suggested by Dave Ahlswede, that inverts the relationship between pressure and brush size for the airbrush, on the grounds that this more accurately reflects the behavior of a real airbrush. People who use tablets should try it and see if they approve, and complain here if they don't.

I can't test that currently, but I imagine it's nice sometimes, but will be counterproductive in other cases -> I would like to have it as an option. And if there should be no option, I would prefer the known, not inverted behaviour.

BTW, how about using tilt for a closer airbrush simulation? That is, not having a fixed shape brush, but a tilt depending cone.

---
Thorsten Wilms

GSR - FR
2005-01-11 22:51:20 UTC (over 19 years ago)

[Oops, got postponed for too long]

t_w_@freenet.de (2005-01-01 at 1258.50 +0100):

I can't test that currently, but I imagine it's nice sometimes, but will be counterproductive in other cases -> I would like to have it as an option. And if there should be no option, I would prefer the known, not inverted behaviour.

There is even a more generic solution proposed in http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=50638

BTW, how about using tilt for a closer airbrush simulation? That is, not having a fixed shape brush, but a tilt depending cone.

That would be nice, but IMHO would require a real push in the tablet mappings, so limit, reference angles and so on could be set. When working with a real airbrush, you can move it with more freedom than a tablet pen (basically cos you hold it, not try to press it against the surface) and in some cases you can also move the target surface. I have been trying to do things with pipe brushes, and well... I found that I can choose between using the pen in really weird angles or create brushes with some tips that will never be used with normal handling, due lack of control in the angle limits.

GSR

Sven Neumann
2005-01-11 23:34:56 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

GSR - FR writes:

That would be nice, but IMHO would require a real push in the tablet mappings, so limit, reference angles and so on could be set. When working with a real airbrush, you can move it with more freedom than a tablet pen (basically cos you hold it, not try to press it against the surface) and in some cases you can also move the target surface. I have been trying to do things with pipe brushes, and well... I found that I can choose between using the pen in really weird angles or create brushes with some tips that will never be used with normal handling, due lack of control in the angle limits.

Such a change wouldn't actually be that hard to do, we just need someone who's motivated enough to do it. If someone's interested, please speak up, I will try to give some tips on how to implement these features.

Sven