RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

panel and winning splash

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

16 of 16 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

panel and winning splash Carol Spears 13 Dec 17:51
  panel and winning splash Alan Horkan 13 Dec 20:48
   panel and winning splash Carol Spears 13 Dec 21:06
    panel and winning splash Alan Horkan 13 Dec 21:53
    panel and winning splash Adam D. Moss 13 Dec 23:07
   panel and winning splash Carol Spears 13 Dec 22:17
    panel and winning splash David Neary 13 Dec 23:52
     panel and winning splash Carol Spears 14 Dec 00:51
     panel and winning splash Carol Spears 14 Dec 01:25
      panel and winning splash Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 14 Dec 03:49
       panel and winning splash Carol Spears 14 Dec 05:31
  panel and winning splash Joseph Heled 14 Dec 01:39
   panel and winning splash Sven Neumann 14 Dec 03:08
    panel and winning splash Joseph Heled 14 Dec 03:21
     panel and winning splash Sven Neumann 14 Dec 03:30
panel and winning splash shaneyfelt@juno.com 14 Dec 04:11
Carol Spears
2004-12-13 17:51:44 UTC (over 19 years ago)

panel and winning splash

hi,

i am waiting to hear what the panel decided for the winning splash. Any word on this yet?

i ask because someone has asked to borrow the script i used to make the splash with -- i would like to use it one last time before sharing it -- on this panels decision.

is there a decision or an eta of when the decision will be "passed down"?

carol

Alan Horkan
2004-12-13 20:48:57 UTC (over 19 years ago)

panel and winning splash

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Carol Spears wrote:

Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 08:51:44 -0800 From: Carol Spears
To: GIMPDev
Subject: [Gimp-developer] panel and winning splash

hi,

i am waiting to hear what the panel decided for the winning splash. Any word on this yet?

It was decided that it was very important to get some input from artists namely Jimmac Tigert and drc.

i ask because someone has asked to borrow the script i used to make the splash with -- i would like to use it one last time before sharing it -- on this panels decision.

We all hope to reach a decision real soon now.

- Alan

Carol Spears
2004-12-13 21:06:21 UTC (over 19 years ago)

panel and winning splash

On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 07:48:57PM +0000, Alan Horkan wrote:

It was decided that it was very important to get some input from artists namely Jimmac Tigert and drc.

okay, so what was the reason to have a panel then?

also, as fond as i am of these three, jimmac is quite busy making icons, tigert is doing whatever tigert does. drc is cool and always around so i dont think you are "waiting" for him.

jimmac and tigerts last gimp tutorials were written years ago by now.

i guess that being gainfully employed means you are an artist or something.

a lot of things stink about this.

We all hope to reach a decision real soon now.

looks like the best thing would have been to skip the "panel"

carol

Alan Horkan
2004-12-13 21:53:56 UTC (over 19 years ago)

panel and winning splash

Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 12:06:21 -0800 From: Carol Spears
To: Alan Horkan ,
GIMPDev
Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] panel and winning splash

okay, so what was the reason to have a panel then?

they were asked for comments on a shortlist of choices. they were not asked to make the final decision.

looks like the best thing would have been to skip the "panel"

It is far too late now and the time for such comments has long passed, but I'm sure lessons have been learned and future competitions will be run differently.

- Alan

Carol Spears
2004-12-13 22:17:30 UTC (over 19 years ago)

panel and winning splash

or maybe you await jimmacs approval since all of the splash images that used his template now have his copyright on it?

there was such a commotion about this panel on this list and it looked to me as if it were being thoughtfully put together.

maybe a better approach would be to have anyone who was not certain of their pick remove themselves from the panel.

it took only a matter of days to amass more than 600 splashes. it should take such an "interested" group of people as this panel not so much time to make a decision.

"make a decision". was their any discussion here of the panel needing the approval of these "artists"? the panel was put together to make a recommendation to the developers. you need additional handholding? was anyone interested in being on this panel who can make a decision on their own?

carol

Adam D. Moss
2004-12-13 23:07:07 UTC (over 19 years ago)

panel and winning splash

Certainly the splash-picking process has been quite chaotic and somewhat imperfect this time around, but you live and learn. Nonetheless I'm sure we'll end up with a splash that not too many people think sucks too enormously, and, well, there are more things to be discontent about in the world right now than a frumpy splash in your favourite free image-editing program.

--Adam

David Neary
2004-12-13 23:52:03 UTC (over 19 years ago)

panel and winning splash

Hi Carol,

Carol Spears wrote:

"make a decision". was their any discussion here of the panel needing the approval of these "artists"? the panel was put together to make a recommendation to the developers. you need additional handholding? was anyone interested in being on this panel who can make a decision on their own?

I appreciate that you would like to see a winner quickly. And I know that you think that such a decision should be easy to make. If there were one person choosing the winner, it would have been done last Monday.

However, the panel are conscious of a responsibility they have - they are picking the splash screen that will be on the GIMP for at least 6 months, and perhaps as long as 3 years (hopefully not, but that's how long tigert's splash was on a stable GIMP).

If the panellists want to ask for the opinion of outside people, or give weight to mukund's page, so be it. When their decision is made, it will be final.

Cheers, Dave.

Carol Spears
2004-12-14 00:51:53 UTC (over 19 years ago)

panel and winning splash

On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 11:52:03PM +0100, David Neary wrote:

Hi Carol,

Carol Spears wrote:

I appreciate that you would like to see a winner quickly. And I know that you think that such a decision should be easy to make. If there were one person choosing the winner, it would have been done last Monday.

However, the panel are conscious of a responsibility they have - they are picking the splash screen that will be on the GIMP for at least 6 months, and perhaps as long as 3 years (hopefully not, but that's how long tigert's splash was on a stable GIMP).

If the panellists want to ask for the opinion of outside people, or give weight to mukund's page, so be it. When their decision is made, it will be final.

it is a recommendation.

carol

Carol Spears
2004-12-14 01:25:16 UTC (over 19 years ago)

panel and winning splash

Hi Carol,

Carol Spears wrote:

a final recommendation. just spit it out.

ask adam. adam is an artist and has been involved with gimp since before you, me, tigert and jimmac -- i dunno about drc.

if they did not want to work as a group, for what reason was it formed?

if they were afraid of peoples opinion of their opinion, why did they want to be on the panel.

this is crap. this is pathetic like this stupid election we just had here in the states.

is the recommendation from this panel to be have tigert "i approve this" to make it worth something?

is there anyone on the panel whose opinion does not count?

carol

Joseph Heled
2004-12-14 01:39:23 UTC (over 19 years ago)

panel and winning splash

Selecting a splash is a daunting task. However, the weight may seem less assuming the following tidbits are made readily accessible (say via a "Tip of the day")

- How one can replace the default splash with a personal one. - How one can use multiple splashes. - Download location of splashes (Assuming contest splashes are kept for a while).

The above would keep happy even the few unsatisfied with the committee choice.

-Joseph

Sven Neumann
2004-12-14 03:08:35 UTC (over 19 years ago)

panel and winning splash

Hi,

Joseph Heled writes:

Selecting a splash is a daunting task. However, the weight may seem less assuming the following tidbits are made readily accessible (say via a "Tip of the day")

- How one can replace the default splash with a personal one.

It's in the gimp man-page.

- How one can use multiple splashes.

We should probably add this information.

Sven

Joseph Heled
2004-12-14 03:21:52 UTC (over 19 years ago)

panel and winning splash

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Joseph Heled writes:

- How one can replace the default splash with a personal one.

It's in the gimp man-page.

- How one can use multiple splashes.

We should probably add this information.

I probably was not clear enough. I think "in the man page" might not be enough here. How about some mention of this in the "first time setup?"

I am not saying it is a big deal. If you think it is pointless than forget it. I was just hoping there is an easy way to alleviate some pressure from the selection committee.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2004-12-14 03:30:41 UTC (over 19 years ago)

panel and winning splash

Hi,

Joseph Heled writes:

I probably was not clear enough. I think "in the man page" might not be enough here. How about some mention of this in the "first time setup?"

"in the man-page" should actually be good enough. After all it also means "on the web-site".

Sven

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2004-12-14 03:49:35 UTC (over 19 years ago)

panel and winning splash

Hi Carol.
[nothing of much interest on this mail for people who are ok with the panel]

On Monday 13 December 2004 22:25, Carol Spears wrote:

Hi Carol,

Carol Spears wrote:

Can you please calm down?
I am in the panel. The other four people in the panel are all part of the comunity formed by Gimp development in all ways it stays in touch - that is #gimp, bugzilla, and here at least.

There were 672 splashes from which to pick one. You did run your script in there, and after some tens of seconds, it spilled out a movie, did not it?

Each of us took time to appreciate each of the splashes over the last week. I can't speak for the others, but I looked at each of them in full size, in painfull proccess of narrowing down the list of viable splashes..Why painfull? Because most of the entries are, in their own way, very nice at least. The funny ones. The scary ones. So each one in the panel had to create a personal set of criteria to narrow the list, so that the whole panel had a small list upon which to debate.

You express concern about the results of a panel. I think it is reasonable for you to perceive that the panel is concerned about this result as well. Otherwise, we'd just spill out the "highest ranking" among ourselves as the final winner. Instead, we decided that the choices we were left with were quite good, and that diffferent point of views would be apreciated.

(...)

Carol, since it seems to be so easy, why do not yourself give the panel feedback. Which is your choosen one? (NB - this is mostly retorical at this point, as we have a good winner candidate by now - nonetheless I'd like to know your one pick among those 600+ entries)

ask adam. adam is an artist and has been involved with gimp since before you, me, tigert and jimmac -- i dunno about drc.

Adam is in the panel.

We want and are working as group. A nice group of persons from different countries with different entries which got a unique chance to learn about each other's inner feelings about art and feelings about The GIMP and its usages as well. I may be speaking for myself, but it is a lifetime experience.

if they were afraid of peoples opinion of their opinion, why did they want to be on the panel.

How would us know that people would arise questioning the panel before? On a side note, I feel the panel had been set by the Release Manager, and fear no one outside. As far as I am concerned, if the panel would vote for the dullest splash out there, that would be the panel recomendation and no more questions.

But how do you feel about questioning any judge about being afraid of other's opinions when you yourself are attacking the panel - and at least on this list, you are the only one doing so.

this is crap. this is pathetic like this stupid election we just had here in the states.

Ok - I am writting this lenghty reply, because _this_ I found offensive.

I agree that a way to select a winner should have been determined before opening up for the contest for the entries. But it was not done. Since the formation of the panel itself was a sugestion on this list, and people got a chance to propose a better, working idea, I am perfectly confortable with the panel. Just because if determined beforehand, it probably would have been the better idea anyway.

is the recommendation from this panel to be have tigert "i approve this" to make it worth something?

We feel more confident now we've read Tigert's comments on some of our picks, if that maters.

No.
It is a five way panel, and everyone is doing their part and getting listened.

carol

Regards,
JS
->

shaneyfelt@juno.com
2004-12-14 04:11:05 UTC (over 19 years ago)

panel and winning splash

]> ...I think "in the man page" might not ]> be enough here. How about some mention of this in the "first time ]> setup?"
]"in the man-page" should actually be good enough. After all it also ]means "on the web-site".

Then "man-page" should be conspicuously displayed on the main menu of the web site so it can't be missed verbatum.

_-T

Carol Spears
2004-12-14 05:31:11 UTC (over 19 years ago)

panel and winning splash

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 12:49:35AM -0200, Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:

Hi Carol.
[nothing of much interest on this mail for people who are ok with the panel]

i am happy with the panel. please accept everything i said to mean "you and your opinion means more than anyone you need to bring in to help" and that this is a compliment. i simply expect you do to what you set out to do.

taking so long. being so "careful". futzing around. getting the opinion of people who need to be asked to upgrade their version, i mean really, if tigert still wanted to be involved, dont you think he would? dont you think he would be making tutorials and still helping the developers with gui ideas and stuff like he did years ago but not much recently.

i am asking you to have some self respect and just do the damn job. it is more important that this stuff gets done now with everyone sort of into it than later when it is safer but everyone has gone away bored.

i am suggesting that the fact that we are all actually doing something is more important that what gets done here.

later in this mail you ask me what my choice would be. there is only one that shows off gimp-2.2 and uses a gpled font. forget artistry or showing things off nicely for the suits. the fact that it shows off a recusive portion of the license it tauts is a plus for the dorks who have built it and might build it in the future to enjoy. sorry i am the one who made this splash. if someone else had made it, it would have probably been considered. all this is fine.

also, later in this note, you belittle my movie. sure, anyone can do this in a few minutes. the fact that i worked for days on it only means that i have some real problems and cannot get this gimp to work that well. i hope that people take your scripting more seriously than you take mine.

please, panel, show some good opinion of your opinion and publish your list or winner or whatever.

carol

On Monday 13 December 2004 22:25, Carol Spears wrote:

Hi Carol,

Carol Spears wrote:

Can you please calm down?
I am in the panel. The other four people in the panel are all part of the comunity formed by Gimp development in all ways it stays in touch - that is #gimp, bugzilla, and here at least.

There were 672 splashes from which to pick one. You did run your script in there, and after some tens of seconds, it spilled out a movie, did not it?

Each of us took time to appreciate each of the splashes over the last week. I can't speak for the others, but I looked at each of them in full size, in painfull proccess of narrowing down the list of viable splashes..Why painfull? Because most of the entries are, in their own way, very nice at least. The funny ones. The scary ones. So each one in the panel had to create a personal set of criteria to narrow the list, so that the whole panel had a small list upon which to debate.

You express concern about the results of a panel. I think it is reasonable for you to perceive that the panel is concerned about this result as well. Otherwise, we'd just spill out the "highest ranking" among ourselves as the final winner. Instead, we decided that the choices we were left with were quite good, and that diffferent point of views would be apreciated.

(...)

Carol, since it seems to be so easy, why do not yourself give the panel feedback. Which is your choosen one? (NB - this is mostly retorical at this point, as we have a good winner candidate by now - nonetheless I'd like to know your one pick among those 600+ entries)

Adam is in the panel.

We want and are working as group. A nice group of persons from different countries with different entries which got a unique chance to learn about each other's inner feelings about art and feelings about The GIMP and its usages as well. I may be speaking for myself, but it is a lifetime experience.

How would us know that people would arise questioning the panel before? On a side note, I feel the panel had been set by the Release Manager, and fear no one outside. As far as I am concerned, if the panel would vote for the dullest splash out there, that would be the panel recomendation and no more questions.

But how do you feel about questioning any judge about being afraid of other's opinions when you yourself are attacking the panel - and at least on this list, you are the only one doing so.

Ok - I am writting this lenghty reply, because _this_ I found offensive.

I agree that a way to select a winner should have been determined before opening up for the contest for the entries. But it was not done. Since the formation of the panel itself was a sugestion on this list, and people got a chance to propose a better, working idea, I am perfectly confortable with the panel. Just because if determined beforehand, it probably would have been the better idea anyway.

We feel more confident now we've read Tigert's comments on some of our picks, if that maters.

No.
It is a five way panel, and everyone is doing their part and getting listened.

carol

Regards,
JS
->