RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Dither patch...

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Dither patch... Adam D. Moss 11 Dec 23:11
  Dither patch... Michael Natterer 12 Dec 14:55
  Dither patch... Sven Neumann 12 Dec 15:04
   Dither patch... Adam D. Moss 12 Dec 17:11
    Dither patch... Michael Schumacher 12 Dec 18:30
     Dither patch... Adam D. Moss 12 Dec 21:44
   Dither patch... Adam D. Moss 12 Dec 21:37
    Dither patch... Sven Neumann 12 Dec 23:13
Adam D. Moss
2004-12-11 23:11:01 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Dither patch...

Hi.

I've been sitting on a backend patch for probably most of the year, that greatly improves the quality of positional/fixed dither -- against GIMP 2.0.x. I was hoping to find time to get a GIMP 2.1.x build working and forward-port the patch, but that didn't transpire and it's likely too late for 2.2 now...

I will attempt to file the 2.0.x patch in Bugzilla some time soon and if anyone cares they can forward-port it (hopefully the dithering back-end didn't suffer many changes during 2.1.x).

Thanks, --Adam

Michael Natterer
2004-12-12 14:55:43 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Dither patch...

"Adam D. Moss" writes:

Hi.

I've been sitting on a backend patch for probably most of the year, that greatly improves the quality of positional/fixed dither -- against GIMP 2.0.x. I was hoping to find time to get a GIMP 2.1.x build working and forward-port the patch, but that didn't transpire and it's likely too late for 2.2 now...

I will attempt to file the 2.0.x patch in Bugzilla some time soon and if anyone cares they can forward-port it (hopefully the dithering back-end didn't suffer many changes during 2.1.x).

Since nobody except you understands this code, probably nobody touched it since 2.0 ;-) I would not object to sneak in an obvious improvement of dithering quality before 2.2 if you hurry submitting that patch...

ciao, --mitch

Sven Neumann
2004-12-12 15:04:36 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Dither patch...

Hi,

"Adam D. Moss" writes:

Please do file your bug report as soon as possible. We might even still sneak it into 2.2 if you are confident that your changes don't introduce any major bugs.

Sven

Adam D. Moss
2004-12-12 17:11:42 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Dither patch...

Ah, it's worse than I remembered, since the patch is actually against GIMP 1.2! But I'm compiling up GIMP 2.0.x now and so hope to have time to port this to 2.0 today, and from there hopefully it's only a short hop to 2.1.x (but I can't test that).

--Adam

Michael Schumacher
2004-12-12 18:30:43 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Dither patch...

Adam D. Moss wrote:

Ah, it's worse than I remembered, since the patch is actually against GIMP 1.2! But I'm compiling up GIMP 2.0.x now and so hope to have time to port this to 2.0 today, and from there hopefully it's only a short hop to 2.1.x (but I can't test that).

Why can't you test 2.1 (or 2.2pre, rather)? On a decent distro, getting all of the dependencies of 2.0 should get you ready for building 2.1/2pre without any additional work.

Michael

Adam D. Moss
2004-12-12 21:37:56 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Dither patch...

Sven Neumann wrote:

Please do file your bug report as soon as possible. We might even still sneak it into 2.2 if you are confident that your changes don't introduce any major bugs.

Submitted as bug 161113. I've given it the usual selection of tests and I'm confident that it doesn't introduce any major bugs...

I'll see if I can move my tree to 2.2pre tonight, though I suspect that the patch in that bug should apply to 2.2 pretty cleanly, since it's all 'deep code' stuff and would probably only collide with any cosmetic code-formatting changes.

--Adam

Adam D. Moss
2004-12-12 21:44:04 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Dither patch...

Michael Schumacher wrote:

Why can't you test 2.1 (or 2.2pre, rather)?

I thought GIMP 2.2 required GTK >= 2.4.

> On a decent distro

I'm not on a decent distro. :)

--Adam

Sven Neumann
2004-12-12 23:13:18 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Dither patch...

Hi,

"Adam D. Moss" writes:

Submitted as bug 161113. I've given it the usual selection of tests and I'm confident that it doesn't introduce any major bugs...

It's in CVS now.

I'll see if I can move my tree to 2.2pre tonight, though I suspect that the patch in that bug should apply to 2.2 pretty cleanly, since it's all 'deep code' stuff and would probably only collide with any cosmetic code-formatting changes.

We refrainded from doing any cosmetic code-formatting changes to that part of the GIMP code.

Sven