RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

intltool 0.30 produces XML error in gimp-tips.xml

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

intltool 0.30 produces XML error in gimp-tips.xml Brion Vibber 01 Dec 12:36
  intltool 0.30 produces XML error in gimp-tips.xml Sven Neumann 01 Dec 13:55
   intltool 0.30 produces XML error in gimp-tips.xml Brion Vibber 01 Dec 14:17
    intltool 0.30 produces XML error in gimp-tips.xml Sven Neumann 01 Dec 14:57
     intltool 0.30 produces XML error in gimp-tips.xml Brion Vibber 03 Dec 05:38
Brion Vibber
2004-12-01 12:36:16 UTC (over 19 years ago)

autogen.sh checks for intltool < 0.28 or > 0.31 due to a known problem with corrupt XML output, but if you have a bad version the script just says "the problem is harmless, you may continue the build" and automatically moves on.

It appears however to actually produce a corrupt gimp-tips.xml if you have intltool 0.30 (which is the current version available in the fink package set for Mac OS X). Those tips containing get horribly munged... On startup, Gimp complains on the console:

Error while parsing '/opt/gimp-2.1/share/gimp/2.0/tips/gimp-tips.xml': Error on line 48 char 29: ')' is not a valid character following the characters 't
make it out the door.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Sven Neumann
2004-12-01 13:55:10 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Brion Vibber writes:

autogen.sh checks for intltool < 0.28 or > 0.31 due to a known problem with corrupt XML output, but if you have a bad version the script just says "the problem is harmless, you may continue the build" and automatically moves on.

It appears however to actually produce a corrupt gimp-tips.xml if you have intltool 0.30 (which is the current version available in the fink package set for Mac OS X). Those tips containing get horribly munged... On startup, Gimp complains on the console:

Error while parsing '/opt/gimp-2.1/share/gimp/2.0/tips/gimp-tips.xml': Error on line 48 char 29: ')' is not a valid character following the characters 't
make it out the door.

I don't think so. If we would have let autogen.sh fail, people couldn't have been able to build GIMP from CVS until a fixed version of intltool was released (which wasn't the case for about a year).

What I don't understand here is why does fink use autogen.sh at all? fink should use a released tarball and the released GIMP tarballs have been created with a working version of intltool and thus include working versions of the intltool scripts. You are not supposed to run autogen.sh unless you have a very good reason to do so. Does fink have such a reason? If so, why haven't we been told about it yet?

Sven

Brion Vibber
2004-12-01 14:17:22 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Dec 1, 2004, at 4:55 AM, Sven Neumann wrote:

Brion Vibber writes:

I'll see about submitting an update to the fink package, but perhaps autogen.sh should be a little pickier to make sure bogus builds don't make it out the door.

I don't think so. If we would have let autogen.sh fail, people couldn't have been able to build GIMP from CVS until a fixed version of intltool was released (which wasn't the case for about a year).

What I don't understand here is why does fink use autogen.sh at all?

It doesn't; *I* do when I build Gimp from CVS to test it.

Sven Neumann
2004-12-01 14:57:27 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Brion Vibber writes:

OK then. I have changed the warning in autogen.sh. Hopefully it is more clear now.

Sven

Brion Vibber
2004-12-03 05:38:22 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Dec 1, 2004, at 5:57 AM, Sven Neumann wrote:

Brion Vibber writes:

OK then. I have changed the warning in autogen.sh. Hopefully it is more clear now.

Thanks!

The Fink GNOME package maintainers will include an updated intltools package along with coming GNOME 2.8 updates.