RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

2.2 splash screen competition

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

21 of 21 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

2.2 splash screen competition David Neary 29 Nov 19:08
  2.2 splash screen competition Sven Neumann 29 Nov 19:33
   2.2 splash screen competition Sven Neumann 30 Nov 01:54
    2.2 splash screen competition Carol Spears 30 Nov 02:46
     2.2 splash screen competition David Neary 30 Nov 08:53
      2.2 splash screen competition Sven Neumann 30 Nov 11:11
       2.2 splash screen competition Carol Spears 30 Nov 18:13
       2.2 splash screen competition Manish Singh 30 Nov 19:12
        2.2 splash screen competition David Neary 30 Nov 20:01
         2.2 splash screen competition Manish Singh 30 Nov 20:01
          2.2 splash screen competition David Neary 30 Nov 20:37
           2.2 splash screen competition Manish Singh 30 Nov 20:41
            2.2 splash screen competition David Neary 30 Nov 21:04
             2.2 splash screen competition Manish Singh 30 Nov 21:04
            2.2 splash screen competition Sven Neumann 30 Nov 21:51
  2.2 splash screen competition David Neary 30 Nov 15:34
   2.2 splash screen competition Sven Neumann 30 Nov 16:06
   2.2 splash screen competition Manish Singh 02 Dec 11:22
    2.2 splash screen competition Austin Donnelly 02 Dec 14:49
     2.2 splash screen competition Tino Schwarze 02 Dec 15:00
    2.2 splash screen competition Carol Spears 02 Dec 19:20
David Neary
2004-11-29 19:08:04 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi all,

The 2.2 release is approaching fast, and we would really like to see a cool splash screen for it.

So we're having a splash screen contest. It will be open for a week, until next Sunday the 5th of December, at which point a winner will be chosen and committed to CVS.

Splash screens should use jimmac's splash screen template http://primates.ximian.com/~jimmac/blog/GIMP/GimpSplashTemplate/ and be mailed to the GIMP user list.

Please spread the announcement around! I would like to see this on gimp-rf.org, gimp.hispalinux.es, gug.sunsite.dk, art.gnome.org and any other related sites.

I will make a gallery of submissions when the competition is over, and the winner will definitely receive something GIMPish, perhaps a t-shirt when we print some, or some other GIMPish treat which doesn't cost too much.

Good luck, and get those splashes in!

Cheers, Dave.

Sven Neumann
2004-11-29 19:33:56 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

David Neary writes:

Splash screens should use jimmac's splash screen template http://primates.ximian.com/~jimmac/blog/GIMP/GimpSplashTemplate/ and be mailed to the GIMP user list.

As far as I know the mailing-list doesn't accept attachments and IMO this should not be changed. Even if sending the splashes to the list was a possibility, it would still be a bad idea. Can we please come up with a different solution for this?

Please spread the announcement around! I would like to see this on gimp-rf.org, gimp.hispalinux.es, gug.sunsite.dk, art.gnome.org and any other related sites.

Please hold your horses until we figured out how the submission process is supposed to work.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2004-11-30 01:54:38 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

I had taken down your news entry about the splash this afternoon but in the meantime I have put the news about the splash contest back up on gimp.org. But so far it doesn't include any info on how to submit the entries. I've also created a page for the contest. More info can be added here then:

http://www.gimp.org/about/splash/contest/index.html

I would suggest that we use the GIMP Wiki as the way to submit entries. Does our Wiki allow images to be uploaded? If so, we just need to setup a page with a template entry as an example and people can add their submissions themselves. A few people should have an eye on the page then to make sure that everyone's playing fair but I don't think that will become a problem.

Does that make any sense?

Sven

Carol Spears
2004-11-30 02:46:59 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 01:54:38AM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

Does that make any sense?

not really.

perhaps Helvetix would have some time to move the contest that is in cvs for gimp.org back into place.

not only was he involved when the web site was being designed, he also thoughtfully put together something that would upload images and met everyones needs. and was also still involved last fall when so many things that had been working needed fixing for whatever reason.

this makes sense.

carol

David Neary
2004-11-30 08:53:12 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Carol Spears wrote:

perhaps Helvetix would have some time to move the contest that is in cvs for gimp.org back into place.

not only was he involved when the web site was being designed, he also thoughtfully put together something that would upload images and met everyones needs. and was also still involved last fall when so many things that had been working needed fixing for whatever reason.

If this could be done today, that would be a great solution (imho).

Is there anyone who understands the contest bits in CVS with the time to reactivate this today?

Cheers, Dave.

Sven Neumann
2004-11-30 11:11:21 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

David Neary writes:

I wouldn't wait for this to happen if I was you. The news system hasn't been resurrected for several months so I am pretty sure that the contest section has a similar unsolveable problem. We should use what's available but sorry, the mailing-lists won't work.

Sven

David Neary
2004-11-30 15:34:04 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi all,

After a false start, the GIMP Splash Contest is now officially open!

The contest runs until next Sunday, Midnight. Splash screens should be the same size as jimmac's logo and have a pale band across the bottom roughly the same size. Otherwise, knock yourselves out!

Competition entries should be attached to the live.gnome.org wiki page at http://live.gnome.org/GnomeArt_2fGimpSplashContest - you will need to create a wiki account. We will definitely have some kind of (small) prize sponsored, details will follow during the week (but the real reason you are doing it is the glory, right?)

Good luck to everyone! And don't forget, spread the news!

Cheers, Dave Neary.

Sven Neumann
2004-11-30 16:06:03 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

David Neary writes:

The contest runs until next Sunday, Midnight. Splash screens should be the same size as jimmac's logo and have a pale band across the bottom roughly the same size. Otherwise, knock yourselves out!

Actually, the band at the bottom doesn't necessarily have to be pale. GIMP 2.2 checks the color of the bottom area of the splash and chooses a suitable level of gray for the text overlay. The area at the bottom should however not have too much contrast or the text will become unreadable. Your best bet is that you try to use your image as a splash with a GIMP-2.2 pre-release. http://www.gimp.org/about/splash/ tells you how to do that.

Sven

Carol Spears
2004-11-30 18:13:23 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 11:11:21AM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

I wouldn't wait for this to happen if I was you. The news system hasn't been resurrected for several months so I am pretty sure that the contest section has a similar unsolveable problem. We should use what's available but sorry, the mailing-lists won't work.

from the Changelog.

2004-11-29 Helvetix Victorinox

* Cut over to the new (old) news system.

let me see if i can sum up what has happened. please correct me if i am wrong.

gimp has a completed web site which was put on hold until people could their things off from the old computer

gimp web team dis-assembles some to try to put together something for gimpcon2 in berlin at the ccc camp

the web site becomes disassembled by someone else for reasons that are still not answered

the old working pieces do not get moved because the new head of the web team was more respectful and simply disappeared (instead of having opinions and trouble and quitting)

everything waits for this new/gone yet not quit leader

now it is too late?

please fix this information. i know it must be wrong. it looks like someone has been acting emotionally and not doing the right thing for the wrong reasons.

carol

Manish Singh
2004-11-30 19:12:39 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 11:11:21AM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

David Neary writes:

The news was fixed last night. The contest will be worked on soon.

Please take the current contest down. It should be on www.gimp.org.

It seems that few people learned from the mistakes of the last contest. Once again, it is slashdotted. The framework on wgo was designed to handle that load. Wikis aren't.

Why did nobody wait for any real input? (remember, there was a holiday weekend in the US that just finished). This is shameful.

-Yosh

Manish Singh
2004-11-30 20:01:19 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 08:01:20PM +0100, David Neary wrote:

Hi,

Manish Singh wrote:

In case you hadn't noticed, we're due a release next week. How soon is soon?

Today.

No.

It seems that few people learned from the mistakes of the last contest. Once again, it is slashdotted. The framework on wgo was designed to handle that load. Wikis aren't.

It'll do, it's better than nothing.

No, it won't do.

Why did nobody wait for any real input? (remember, there was a holiday weekend in the US that just finished). This is shameful.

I didn't know. I'm an Irishman living in France - how am I supposed to know about USA holidays?

Cause they are mentioned in gimp forums, just like european holidays are (and respected).

You *are* expected to know about timezones, and at least wait till Pacific Standard Time for comments.

-Yosh

David Neary
2004-11-30 20:01:20 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Manish Singh wrote:

No.

It'll do, it's better than nothing.

I didn't know. I'm an Irishman living in France - how am I supposed to know about USA holidays?

We have different definitions of shame.

Cheers, Dave.

David Neary
2004-11-30 20:37:00 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Manish Singh wrote:

Today.

If you want to do the work of changing all the places that things have been said now, be my guest. Let me know, I'll blog the new location. Otherwise, the wiki will do for the week. It's not like we're going to get hundreds of entries.

Cause they are mentioned in gimp forums, just like european holidays are (and respected).

Were you expecting us to wait for some comments from *you* specifically before starting something?

You *are* expected to know about timezones, and at least wait till Pacific Standard Time for comments.

The initial (wrong) announcement was last evening at 19h CET, 11h PST which certainly gave you enough time to comment before we had to sort something out.

Dave.

Manish Singh
2004-11-30 20:41:22 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 08:37:00PM +0100, David Neary wrote:

Hi,

Manish Singh wrote:

Today.

If you want to do the work of changing all the places that things have been said now, be my guest. Let me know, I'll blog the new location. Otherwise, the wiki will do for the week. It's not like we're going to get hundreds of entries.

Sure. I'll also demphasize the current wiki bit.

Were you expecting us to wait for some comments from *you* specifically before starting something?

The initial (wrong) announcement was last evening at 19h CET, 11h PST which certainly gave you enough time to comment before we had to sort something out.

Carol responded to it. You asked if anyone had time. Sven replied not to wait, as "the news system hasn't been resurrected for several months" when it in fact had been the night before. (nobody bothers to check these things).

This was all said in the wee hours of the morning here. It couldn't wait 12 hours?

-Yosh

David Neary
2004-11-30 21:04:04 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Manish Singh wrote:

Don't forget to migrate all of the images that have already been submitted from the wiki.

This was all said in the wee hours of the morning here. It couldn't wait 12 hours?

Given that (unfortunately) I had already made an announcement, since (unfortunately) this thing got left to the last minute and there was no time left to wait for some kind of group approval, it was important that we put something in place today. The contest is only going to run for 6 days. Waiting until tomorrow or Thursday was unacceptable.

Dave.

Manish Singh
2004-11-30 21:04:13 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 09:04:04PM +0100, David Neary wrote:

Hi,

Manish Singh wrote:

Don't forget to migrate all of the images that have already been submitted from the wiki.

Yeah. Some have already been dropped on the floor though.

Given that (unfortunately) I had already made an announcement, since (unfortunately) this thing got left to the last minute and there was no time left to wait for some kind of group approval, it was important that we put something in place today. The contest is only going to run for 6 days. Waiting until tomorrow or Thursday was unacceptable.

And announcement could've been made stating the rules and criteria, but the submission mechanism could've been finalized later. That's what's happening anyway...

The gnome.org people dont' seem to be too happy about what's happened either.

-Yosh

Sven Neumann
2004-11-30 21:51:57 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Manish Singh writes:

Carol responded to it. You asked if anyone had time. Sven replied not to wait, as "the news system hasn't been resurrected for several months" when it in fact had been the night before. (nobody bothers to check these things).

Sorry, but at the time I said this the news was still broken and there was no sign at all that this would change anytime soon. If I had known that a fix was in the queue, we'd have used the contest framework on wgo. Actually, I asked for help in #gimp-web several times and got none. OK, people have been on holidays which is OK but I don't think that we need to blame each other now for doing things wrongly. Everyone was just trying to do their best.

Sven

Manish Singh
2004-12-02 11:22:44 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 03:34:04PM +0100, David Neary wrote:

Hi all,

After a false start, the GIMP Splash Contest is now officially open!

Competition entries should be attached to the live.gnome.org wiki page at http://live.gnome.org/GnomeArt_2fGimpSplashContest - you

This has been moved to:

http://www.gimp.org/contest/contest.cgi

Current submissions can be seen at:

http://www.gimp.org/contest/gallery.cgi

-Yosh

Austin Donnelly
2004-12-02 14:49:39 UTC (over 19 years ago)

My favourite so far is the colourful paint pots by Metin Amiroff:

http://www.gimp.org/contest/gallery.cgi?display=image&name=20041202090612748 6

Or maybe the paint tubes by Andreas Nilsson, I can't decide:

http://www.gimp.org/contest/gallery.cgi?display=image&name=20041202090610747 8

I think ones featuring the traditional artist's tools are some of the best, although some of the bold flower-based ones are good too, eg:

Brandon King's chrysanthemum against a desaturated background: http://www.gimp.org/contest/gallery.cgi?display=image&name=20041202094328970 6

Or Becky Cierpich's flower & digital background: http://www.gimp.org/contest/gallery.cgi?display=image&name=20041202094428993 6

The standard of entries is (by and large) very high; I'm impressed.

Austin

Tino Schwarze
2004-12-02 15:00:42 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 01:49:39PM -0000, Austin Donnelly wrote:

My favourite so far is the colourful paint pots by Metin Amiroff:

http://www.gimp.org/contest/gallery.cgi?display=image&name=20041202090612748 6

Or maybe the paint tubes by Andreas Nilsson, I can't decide:

http://www.gimp.org/contest/gallery.cgi?display=image&name=20041202090610747 8

I found this (digital) interpretation of paint pots very nice: http://www.gimp.org/contest/gallery.cgi?display=image&name=200412020906377591

But after all, it will be hard to decide - a lot of good stuff.

Bye, Tino.

Carol Spears
2004-12-02 19:20:00 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 02:22:44AM -0800, Manish Singh wrote:

This has been moved to:

http://www.gimp.org/contest/contest.cgi

Current submissions can be seen at:

http://www.gimp.org/contest/gallery.cgi

thank you for this!

thank you Manish and Helvetix.

are the web servers handling it as predicted and designed?

carol