RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

question regarding Order of Menu items

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

question regarding Order of Menu items miriam clinton (iriXx) 29 Nov 01:23
  question regarding Order of Menu items Owen Cook 29 Nov 02:01
   question regarding Order of Menu items miriam clinton (iriXx) 29 Nov 02:11
   question regarding Order of Menu items Sven Neumann 29 Nov 09:37
    question regarding Order of Menu items Owen Cook 29 Nov 12:08
  question regarding Order of Menu items Sven Neumann 29 Nov 09:41
miriam clinton (iriXx)
2004-11-29 01:23:27 UTC (over 19 years ago)

having had a bit of an absence here due to some international travel:

I'm writing a review of GIMP, Inkscape and various other applications for Linux User and Developer magazine at present. I've given the new version of GIMP quite a glowing review (despite my sometimes terse/frustrated designer's comments on-list) especially for intuitivity and adaption towards a designer's needs.

What i'm questioning here is - does this order of menu mean that one can set one's own menu preferences? (a piece of functionality I hadn't realised was there) or is this just a programming issue?

Best,

Miriam.

Owen Cook
2004-11-29 02:01:08 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, miriam clinton (iriXx) wrote:

What i'm questioning here is - does this order of menu mean that one can set one's own menu preferences? (a piece of functionality I hadn't realised was there) or is this just a programming issue?

If you are on *nix, you can do a 'man gimprc'

In my case I wished to have the default interpolation selection set to

Cubic (Best)

and thanks to Sven, I added this to the bottom of my .gimp-2.2/gimprc file

(interpolation-type cubic)

Other corresspondents suggest it can be done through the File->Preferences dialogue but as yet I haven't found that

Presumeably the Windows version gimprc file can be amended likewise.

Owen

miriam clinton (iriXx)
2004-11-29 02:11:39 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Owen Cook wrote:

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, miriam clinton (iriXx) wrote:

If you are on *nix, you can do a 'man gimprc'

In my case I wished to have the default interpolation selection set to

Cubic (Best)

and thanks to Sven, I added this to the bottom of my .gimp-2.2/gimprc file

(interpolation-type cubic)

Other corresspondents suggest it can be done through the File->Preferences dialogue but as yet I haven't found that

Presumeably the Windows version gimprc file can be amended likewise.

it would be great if things could be done through File->Preferences on both GNU/Linux and Windows... I'm testing on both (Mandrake 10.0 - because from the point of view of a designer, they'll buy off-the-shelf rather than bleeding edge stuff)...

designers (other than me, cos i'm a bit more seasoned with GNU/Linux) wont be able to understand a gimprc, and probably won't manage the Man pages for a while.

i'm trying to encourage designers towards using GNU/Linux as a professional platform... designers are by nature visual thinkers, and will be put off / have difficulty with adding verbal commands to preference files, especially as to them, Linux already has the reputation of being 'difficult' (ironically, most think they're using a 'real' Unix with Mac OS X).

if we're to have professional-level designers using GIMP, we're going to need these preferences set as part of the GUI, or they'll never know they are there - designers arent very good at RTFM, in fact most of them will throw it at you ;) (usually because of pressure of working to a deadline)...

bear in mind that most designers, as with many other creatives, are dyslexic - myself included. creativity and dyslexia both inhabit the temporal lobes of the brain, and so can cross over. without the lecture on neurology ;) - it means that /everything/ needs to have a GUI option for GIMP to be fully usable by a designer.

best,

Miriam.

Sven Neumann
2004-11-29 09:37:35 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Owen Cook writes:

It's there, in the Tool Options section. Almost all settings that are found in gimprc are also accessible from the Preferences dialog.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2004-11-29 09:41:39 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

"miriam clinton (iriXx)" writes:

The question wasn't about the order of menus, it was about the default value choosen in a combo-box. The default value is user configurable, the menus in general aren't.

GIMP 2.2 makes it easy to change the menus since the menu structure isn't any longer hardcoded into the application but read from a number of XML files. However the user isn't supposed to edit these files. This is a feature for developers and for users who want to play with the menus in order to help us to improve the menu hierarchy during the next development cycle.

Sven

Owen Cook
2004-11-29 12:08:08 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Sven Neumann wrote:

Owen Cook writes:

It's there, in the Tool Options section. Almost all settings that are found in gimprc are also accessible from the Preferences dialog.

My apologies, I could not see the blindingly obvious.

Time for a holiday!

Owen