RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

autogen.sh on msys

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

13 of 13 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

autogen.sh on msys shaneyfelt@juno.com 22 Nov 19:58
  autogen.sh on msys Michael Schumacher 22 Nov 20:12
  autogen.sh on msys Michael Natterer 22 Nov 20:59
   autogen.sh on msys pvt.benkovsk@pha.pvtnet.cz 23 Nov 14:11
  autogen.sh on msys Sven Neumann 22 Nov 22:56
autogen.sh on msys shaneyfelt@juno.com 23 Nov 21:15
autogen.sh on msys shaneyfelt@juno.com 24 Nov 05:22
autogen.sh on msys shaneyfelt@juno.com 24 Nov 06:59
  autogen.sh on msys Michael Schumacher 24 Nov 11:03
autogen.sh on msys shaneyfelt@juno.com 24 Nov 18:15
  autogen.sh on msys Michael Schumacher 24 Nov 18:37
autogen.sh on msys lode.leroy@advalvas.be 25 Nov 10:26
  autogen.sh on msys Sven Neumann 25 Nov 11:49
shaneyfelt@juno.com
2004-11-22 19:58:06 UTC (over 19 years ago)

autogen.sh on msys

Something seems wrong with autogen.sh for gimp It doesn't seem to recognize automake 1.8.3 from mingw.org is newer than 1.6

I think that either the HACKING file should be updated to say what works or at least to say that it doesn't work if the problem isn't fixed.

_-T

$ ./autogen.sh

I am testing that you have the required versions of libtool, autoconf, automake, glib-gettextize and intltoolize. This test is not foolproof, so if anything goes wrong, see the file HACKING for more information...

Looks like Win32, you will need libtool 1.5 or newer.

checking for libtool >= 1.5 ... yes (version 1.5.4) checking for autoconf >= 2.54 ... yes (version 2.56) checking for automake >= 1.6 ... expr: syntax error Too old (found version 1.8.3)!
checking for glib-gettextize >= 2.2.0 ... yes (version 2.4.7) checking for intltool >= 0.17 ... yes (version 0.27.2) checking for intltool < 0.28 or > 0.31 ... yes checking for xsltproc ... yes

Please install/upgrade the missing tools and call me again.

Michael Schumacher
2004-11-22 20:12:09 UTC (over 19 years ago)

autogen.sh on msys

shaneyfelt@juno.com wrote:

Something seems wrong with autogen.sh for gimp It doesn't seem to recognize automake 1.8.3 from mingw.org is newer than 1.6

I think that either the HACKING file should be updated to say what works or at least to say that it doesn't work if the problem isn't fixed.

It works fine with automake 1.8.5 built from source, so I guess that the problem is somewhere in MinGW's automake.

Michael

Michael Natterer
2004-11-22 20:59:59 UTC (over 19 years ago)

autogen.sh on msys

Hi,

What version of GIMP is this?

(assuming this is CVS HEAD, it looks like there is something wrong with "expr" and the test fails because of that, rather than because of too old automake).

What does /bin/sh point to?

--mitch

"shaneyfelt@juno.com" writes:

_-T

$ ./autogen.sh

I am testing that you have the required versions of libtool, autoconf, automake, glib-gettextize and intltoolize. This test is not foolproof, so if anything goes wrong, see the file HACKING for more information...

Looks like Win32, you will need libtool 1.5 or newer.

checking for libtool >= 1.5 ... yes (version 1.5.4) checking for autoconf >= 2.54 ... yes (version 2.56) checking for automake >= 1.6 ... expr: syntax error Too old (found version 1.8.3)!
checking for glib-gettextize >= 2.2.0 ... yes (version 2.4.7) checking for intltool >= 0.17 ... yes (version 0.27.2) checking for intltool < 0.28 or > 0.31 ... yes checking for xsltproc ... yes

Please install/upgrade the missing tools and call me again.

Sven Neumann
2004-11-22 22:56:34 UTC (over 19 years ago)

autogen.sh on msys

Hi,

"shaneyfelt@juno.com" writes:

Is your automake executable versioned? It shouldn't be called automake, but automake-1.8. If that is the case, what is the exact output of 'automake-1.8 --version' ?

Sven

pvt.benkovsk@pha.pvtnet.cz
2004-11-23 14:11:55 UTC (over 19 years ago)

autogen.sh on msys

On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 08:59:59PM +0100, Michael Natterer wrote:

Hi,

What version of GIMP is this?

(assuming this is CVS HEAD, it looks like there is something wrong with "expr" and the test fails because of that, rather than because of too old automake).

What does /bin/sh point to?

And also, do you run it as
./autogen.sh
or
someshell ./autogen.sh

I got burnt in similar way (in another project) by using sh instead of bash, for example

Edheldil

shaneyfelt@juno.com
2004-11-23 21:15:04 UTC (over 19 years ago)

autogen.sh on msys

To answer all the questions about my environment, etc. (I tried to post this yesterday, but never saw it, so maybe Juno dropped it or something) Here's what I did:

Get and install in this order: from http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html GIMP
GTK+
from http://mingw.org/download.shtml MINGW
MSYS
msysDTK

Start Msys and create ~/.profile file with the following contents: export DEVELOPMENT_DIR="$HOME/src"
export CVSROOT=':pserver:anonymous@anoncvs.gimp.org:/cvs/gnome' export PATH="$DEVELOPMENT_DIR/bin:$DEVELOPMENT_DIR/lib:$PATH" export CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -I$DEVELOPMENT_DIR/include" export CPPFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS -I$DEVELOPMENT_DIR/include" export LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS -L$DEVELOPMENT_DIR/lib" export ALOCAL_FLAGS="$ALOCAL_FLAGS -I $DEVELOPMENT_DIR/share/alocal" echo Ready to build!

Make a folder called ~/src for development and unzip into the ~/src folder so that the contents fall into the same bin, etc, include, share, contrib, lib,... folders:

from http://mingw.org/download.shtml msys-libtool-1.5.tar.bz2
msys-automake-1.8.2.tar.bz2

from http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/downloads.html glib-2.4.7.zip
glib-dev-2.4.7.zip
pkgconfig-0.15.zip
[GNU libiconv] libiconv-1.9.1.bin.woe32.zip gettext-runtime-0.13.1.zip
gtk+-2.4.13.zip
gtk+-dev-2.4.13.zip
pango-1.4.1.zip
pango-dev-1.4.1.zip
atk-1.6.0.zip
atk-dev-1.6.0.zip

from http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html [here] ftp://ftp.arnes.si/software/gimp-win/gimp-dev-2.0.1-20040415.zip

from ftp://ftp.zlatkovic.com/pub/libxml/ libxslt-1.1.12.win32.zip
libxml2-2.6.15.win32.zip

Do the following commands (There is no cvs password) cd src
cvs login = 1.6 ... expr: syntax error Too old (found version 1.8.3)!
Instead, maybe expr needs to be updated to version __?

$ automake --version Can't locate Automake/Struct.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/share/automake-1.8 /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/msys /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/msys /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl .) at /home/ted/src/bin/automake line 47. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /home/ted/src/bin/automake line 47.

Maybe I need to install something called Struct to perl?

I'm keeping a careful record so I can simplify the instructions as much as possible and post them for others to use. I hope that after I finish this, someone should be able to walk up to a new Windows machine, and get things working right away without any surprises.

_-T

shaneyfelt@juno.com
2004-11-24 05:22:02 UTC (over 19 years ago)

autogen.sh on msys

Still trying to bring up a development environment on mingw. The problem seems to be automake depending upon Struct.pm but trying to install perl modules fails because it expects ftp to behave, which it doesn't on Windows.

Here was the original problem:

$ automake --version Can't locate Automake/Struct.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/share/automake-1.8 /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/msys /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/msys /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl .) at /home/ted/src/bin/automake line 47. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /home/ted/src/bin/automake line 47.

I figure that I need to install something called Struct to perl? I assume it's Class::Struct that I need and not one of Inline::Struct, DynaLib::Struct, Win32::API::Struct, Inline::SLang::Struct, SOAP::Struct, Class::MakeMethods::Template::Struct WDDX::Struct, or some other Struct.

trying: perl -MCPAN -e 'install Struct'
tries to run ftp, but Windows ftp pops up ftp in another console window, making it obvious that windows ftp doesn't integrate well with msys.

What's the simplest workaround?

shaneyfelt@juno.com
2004-11-24 06:59:22 UTC (over 19 years ago)

autogen.sh on msys

$ automake --version
Can't locate Automake/Struct.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/share/automake-1.8 /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/msys /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1

/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/msys /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl .) at /home/ted/src/bin/automake line 47. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /home/ted/src/bin/automake line 47.

Maybe I need to install something called Struct to perl. I assume it's Class::Struct that I need and not one of Inline::Struct, DynaLib::Struct, Win32::API::Struct, Inline::SLang::Struct, SOAP::Struct, Class::MakeMethods::Template::Struct WDDX::Struct, or some other Struct.

trying: perl -MCPAN -e 'install Struct'
tries to run ftp, but Windows ftp pops up ftp in another console window where it's obvious that stdio is not being used.

There are two ftp programs in /bin, one called /bin/ftp and the other /bin/ftp.exe

mv /bin/ftp /bin/ftp.bak solves that problem, but trying perl -MCPAN produces the following message, Please, install Net::FTP as soon as possible. CPAN.pm installs it for you if you just type
install Bundle::libnet

so the following commands seem appropriate: perl -MCPAN -e 'install Bundle::libnet' perl -MCPAN -e 'install Class::Struct'

This gives the following error:

The most recent version "0.63" of the module "Class::Struct" comes with the current version of perl (5.8.5). I'll build that only if you ask for something like force install Class::Struct

Trying perl -MCPAN -e 'force install Class::Struct' gives the same message.

Stuck for the moment. Any ideas? Maybe I don't need this version of automake to build GIMP on mingw? Maybe I should back up and try Cygwin instead?

Michael Schumacher
2004-11-24 11:03:16 UTC (over 19 years ago)

autogen.sh on msys

$ automake --version
Can't locate Automake/Struct.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/share/automake-1.8 /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/msys /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1

Stuck for the moment. Any ideas? Maybe I don't need this version of automake to build GIMP on mingw?

You should build automake 1.8.5 (or a later version) from source. If this works for you, we should require this version on Win32.

Michael

shaneyfelt@juno.com
2004-11-24 18:15:48 UTC (over 19 years ago)

autogen.sh on msys

]> $ automake --version
]> Can't locate Automake/Struct.pm in @INC (@INC contains: ]/usr/share/automake-1.8 /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/msys /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1

]> Stuck for the moment. Any ideas? ]> Maybe I don't need this version of automake to build GIMP on mingw?

]You should build automake 1.8.5 (or a later version) from source. ]If this works for you, we should require this version on Win32.

Do you mean 1.8.5 won't depend on perl in the same way? or that doing the build should set up perl get and install modules properly?

I'll try it when I get back to my build machine to see what happens.

Thanks,

_-T

Michael Schumacher
2004-11-24 18:37:52 UTC (over 19 years ago)

autogen.sh on msys

]> $ automake --version
]> Can't locate Automake/Struct.pm in @INC (@INC contains: ]/usr/share/automake-1.8 /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/msys /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1

]> Stuck for the moment. Any ideas? ]> Maybe I don't need this version of automake to build GIMP on mingw?

]You should build automake 1.8.5 (or a later version) from source. ]If this works for you, we should require this version on Win32.

Do you mean 1.8.5 won't depend on perl in the same way? or that doing the build should set up perl get and install modules properly?

Automake/Struct.pm is a perl module provided by automake. This should work, I did this myself, and build GIMP on Win32 almost daily.

BTW, see http://wiki.gimp.org/gimp/HowToCompileGimp/MicrosoftWindows for further advice.

HTH,
Michael

lode.leroy@advalvas.be
2004-11-25 10:26:24 UTC (over 19 years ago)

autogen.sh on msys

IIRC, autogen checks for versionned automakes and aclocals to see if newer versions are installed in parallel to the non-versionned ones. I think it misses the latest (1.8 and 1.9, and just checks for 1.7 or 1.6)

I modified my autogen.sh to test for newer versions of automake:

echo -n "checking for automake >= $AUTOMAKE_REQUIRED_VERSION ... " if (automake-1.7 --version) < /dev/null > /dev/null 2>&1; then AUTOMAKE=automake-1.7
ACLOCAL=aclocal-1.7
elif (automake-1.8 --version) < /dev/null > /dev/null 2>&1; then AUTOMAKE=automake-1.8
ACLOCAL=aclocal-1.8
elif (automake-1.9 --version) < /dev/null > /dev/null 2>&1; then AUTOMAKE=automake-1.9
ACLOCAL=aclocal-1.9
elif (automake-1.6 --version) < /dev/null > /dev/null 2>&1; then AUTOMAKE=automake-1.6
ACLOCAL=aclocal-1.6
else

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Plaats je zoekertjes GRATIS op AdValvas Placez votre petite annonce GRATUITEMENT sur AdValvas http://www.advalvas.be

Sven Neumann
2004-11-25 11:49:59 UTC (over 19 years ago)

autogen.sh on msys

Hi,

lode.leroy@advalvas.be writes:

IIRC, autogen checks for versionned automakes and aclocals to see if newer versions are installed in parallel to the non-versionned ones. I think it misses the latest (1.8 and 1.9, and just checks for 1.7 or 1.6)

You are using an old autogen.sh then. The CVS version checks for newer versions. I wonder why you would want to use autogen.sh with anything but the CVS version of GIMP.

Sven