RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

whishes for Gimp

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

whishes for Gimp <kristin.pena@c2i.net> 01 Nov 10:43
  whishes for Gimp Sven Neumann 01 Nov 14:35
whishes for Gimp shaneyfelt@juno.com 01 Nov 19:15
  whishes for Gimp Sven Neumann 01 Nov 23:27
whishes for Gimp Juhana Sadeharju 15 Nov 09:23
  whishes for Gimp Sven Neumann 15 Nov 21:49
<kristin.pena@c2i.net>
2004-11-01 10:43:03 UTC (over 19 years ago)

whishes for Gimp

I have som whishes for upcoming versions of the gimp. I hope I have subscribed to the correct mailing list, and that this email goes where it should! My suggestions for Gimp in the future are:

1-To be able to work drag'n'drop with layers. In fotoshop, you can drag and drop entire images, or selections, to other images. No need to make new layer, copy and paste, and anchor. The dragged image or selection will stay as independent layer in new image, until choosing to flatten image. Much easier, and something I hope for in the gimp!

2-To be able to make selection of actions to repeat in various images. Comparing with fotoshop: Here you can select option called action, press rec, and then perform several actions that you want to repeat done in several images. Stop recording after last action. Opening then other images, you simply have to select the option action again (the one action you have recorded,) and press play. And all the actions will be performed automatically. Also something I hope for in the gimp.

3-To be able to change perspective with crop tool. In fotoshop you may make selection with the crop tool, and then rotate that selection before cropping. Choosing perspective doing so, you may follow for example lines of buildings, so as not to appear ?falling backwards? as they go up. When cropping, the image will be following the lines, but forced back to a square image.

4-To have an image view browser When opening images to work with, it's much better to be able to see small thumbnails of all the images in a folder. The Gimp will only (and not always) show previews of images one by one. In this way I depend on having to pick and choose the right images from other programs first. So I hope for an image view browser in the Gimp!

Kristin

------------------------------------------------- WebMail fra Tele2 http://www.tele2.no -------------------------------------------------

Sven Neumann
2004-11-01 14:35:55 UTC (over 19 years ago)

whishes for Gimp

Hi,

1-To be able to work drag'n'drop with layers. In fotoshop, you can drag and drop entire images, or selections, to other images. No need to make new layer, copy and paste, and anchor. The dragged image or selection will stay as independent layer in new image, until choosing to flatten image. Much easier, and something I hope for in the gimp!

GIMP has had very good DND support for quite a while. GIMP 2.2 improves it even further. Perhaps you just didn't try to drag things around yet?

3-To be able to change perspective with crop tool. In fotoshop you may make selection with the crop tool, and then rotate that selection before cropping. Choosing perspective doing so, you may follow for example lines of buildings, so as not to appear falling backwards as they go up. When cropping, the image will be following the lines, but forced back to a square image.

I don't see how perspective transformations are related to the Crop tool. If you want to correct perspective, use the perspective transform tool in Corrective mode. You can then align the grid with the lines that should be corrected.

4-To have an image view browser When opening images to work with, it's much better to be able to see small thumbnails of all the images in a folder. The Gimp will only (and not always) show previews of images one by one. In this way I depend on having to pick and choose the right images from other programs first. So I hope for an image view browser in the Gimp!

What would an image browser in GIMP be good for if there are lots of image browsers that you can use? Just drag the images in from your favorite image browser or configure it to use gimp-remote to load the image directly into GIMP. I don't see why we should waste GIMP developer resources on something that is already available.

Sven

shaneyfelt@juno.com
2004-11-01 19:15:47 UTC (over 19 years ago)

whishes for Gimp

I think that
http://gimp.org/bugs/
should have a "Search:" textbox next to "bugs/enhancements" buttons, because if we make it easier to search bugzilla, new users will be more able to inform themselves of the status of new features/known problems, etc. and save developer time on this list. Too many questions like this might start to make developers appear to be more grumpy or defensive than they actually are, discouraging other developers from joining in.

Also, wherever we put links on GIMP website to this list, like http://www.gimp.org/mail_lists.html for example, we need to put up a short blurb about what kind of discussion is welcome, and where people ought to search for status before making comments.

Continuously improving processes helps everybody to be more efficient and effective.

_-T

Sven Neumann
2004-11-01 23:27:14 UTC (over 19 years ago)

whishes for Gimp

Hi,

"shaneyfelt@juno.com" writes:

Also, wherever we put links on GIMP website to this list, like http://www.gimp.org/mail_lists.html for example, we need to put up a short blurb about what kind of discussion is welcome, and where people ought to search for status before making comments.

I don't mind if people make suggestions even if what they ask for is implemented already. It gives us some insight whether specific features are too well hidden.

Sven

Juhana Sadeharju
2004-11-15 09:23:29 UTC (over 19 years ago)

whishes for Gimp

3-To be able to change perspective with crop tool. In fotoshop you may make selection with the crop tool, and then rotate that selection before cropping.

It would be a good idea to have specialized crop tools. Alternatives are always good. Doing the thing with separate tools is just a waste of time and is not ergonomic at all.

Is there such a plugin system which could be used to implement alternative crop, path, etc. tools? As plugins they would not mess the Gimp source tree.

Can scripts be used to create tools like the crop tool?

Juhana

Sven Neumann
2004-11-15 21:49:43 UTC (over 19 years ago)

whishes for Gimp

Hi,

Juhana Sadeharju writes:

It would be a good idea to have specialized crop tools. Alternatives are always good. Doing the thing with separate tools is just a waste of time and is not ergonomic at all.

Adding more tools has the disadvantage of cluttering the toolbox.

Is there such a plugin system which could be used to implement alternative crop, path, etc. tools?

No, there's no infrastructure for pluggable tools.

Sven