RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

about the gfig plug-in

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

about the gfig plug-in David Odin 26 Oct 11:19
about the gfig plug-in William Skaggs 29 Oct 17:42
David Odin
2004-10-26 11:19:54 UTC (over 19 years ago)

about the gfig plug-in

Hi,

The gfig plug-in has been easily modified between 2.0 and now. I think it is much more usable now than before, but there are some points that must be fixed before we could ship it in a stable release. I've tried to make a list, and I will certainly open a bugreport about this, but I would like you to check if I've forgotten something: - importing a shape doesn't work (nothing happen when choosing the entry) - it isn't fully HIGed (most notably the menus and some popup windows) - it brings some strange error message about brushes sometimes - some drawing options are missing compared to the 2.0 version (the 'draw' tab of the bottom left notebook) - it also segfaults from time to time.

I think all of this can be fixed in a short time, but before jumping into the source, I would like to know if someone else is (actively) working on this, and if I've missed some important point.

Regards,

DindinX

William Skaggs
2004-10-29 17:42:20 UTC (over 19 years ago)

about the gfig plug-in

DindinX wrote:

The gfig plug-in has been easily modified between 2.0 and now. I think it is much more usable now than before, but there are some points that must be fixed before we could ship it in a stable release. I've tried to make a list, and I will certainly open a bugreport about this, but I would like you to check if I've forgotten something: - importing a shape doesn't work (nothing happen when choosing the entry) - it isn't fully HIGed (most notably the menus and some popup windows) - it brings some strange error message about brushes sometimes - some drawing options are missing compared to the 2.0 version (the 'draw' tab of the bottom left notebook) - it also segfaults from time to time.

I think all of this can be fixed in a short time, but before jumping into the source, I would like to know if someone else is (actively) working on this, and if I've missed some important point.

As the one who did the modifications, I should respond to this. My plan was originally to have gfig in good shape by the 2.2 release, but I got sidetracked into the (more important, I think) task of writing help documentation, and left gfig dangling. I am going to have little if any time to devote to GIMP for the next two months at least -- so I have no objection to anybody else taking over the development. My expectation was that gfig would be reverted to the 2.0 version and that I would take another shot for 2.4 (maybe), but I am quite happy to yield control of it.

Regarding things that need to be fixed, in addition to the ones you mentioned there are a couple more, mainly relating to the fact that the gfig save file format was radically changed. Because I never finalized the format, the layer parasites that gfig creates are marked as nonpersistent, so that they are not saved in xcf files, which means that gfig layers become ordinary layers in a saved figure. This loses one of the main advantages of the new approach. The other is that gfig currently can't read save files in the old format, which would no doubt make some users very unhappy.

Also drawing of polylines is completely broken at the moment.

Best, -- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the KillerWebMail system at primate.ucdavis.edu