RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Help system

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Help system Dennis Bjorklund 24 Oct 13:50
  Help system Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 24 Oct 17:46
   Help system Sven Neumann 24 Oct 20:36
    Help system Daniel Egger 25 Oct 13:32
  Help system Sven Neumann 24 Oct 20:10
Dennis Bjorklund
2004-10-24 13:50:51 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Help system

I run gimp in swedish and the translation is very good. The help files however are mostly blank pages. I have to quit and start gimp in english in order to get any help.

Of course this problem can be solved by deleting the swedish documentation and then I assume I would get the english one. But it's not the best solution.

Also, even if there had been a more complete translation, how do I know if that is a translation of the latest english version? Being able to select language at run time would be helpful.

gettext() works well because the translation is only used when the original text is as it was when it was translated. Maybe one could make something similar with the doc, like a md5sum of the help page. If the checksum does not match the one stored with the translation then the english original help is used (or some other language that the user prefer, just like it works with gettext).

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2004-10-24 17:46:37 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Help system

Ie read a thread some months ago on GIMP developers saying that the Gimp-ghelp should be designed in such a way that, when a page did not exist for a locale, it would fall back to other languages in a given order.

Was that implemented?
If so..is the fallback to swedish en ?

And Dennis: No, deleting the swedish docs won't give you the English docs.

On Sunday 24 October 2004 09:50, Dennis Bjorklund wrote:

I run gimp in swedish and the translation is very good. The help files however are mostly blank pages. I have to quit and start gimp in english in order to get any help.

Of course this problem can be solved by deleting the swedish documentation and then I assume I would get the english one. But it's not the best solution.

Also, even if there had been a more complete translation, how do I know if that is a translation of the latest english version? Being able to select language at run time would be helpful.

gettext() works well because the translation is only used when the original text is as it was when it was translated. Maybe one could make something similar with the doc, like a md5sum of the help page. If the checksum does not match the one stored with the translation then the english original help is used (or some other language that the user prefer, just like it works with gettext).

regards,
JS
-><

Sven Neumann
2004-10-24 20:10:26 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Help system

Hi,

Dennis Bjorklund writes:

This has been taken care of in gimp-help-2. Please try a recent CVS checkout.

You can also select the help languages in your gimprc file. Please read the gimprc man-page.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2004-10-24 20:36:19 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Help system

Hi,

"Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris" writes:

Ie read a thread some months ago on GIMP developers saying that the Gimp-ghelp should be designed in such a way that, when a page did not exist for a locale, it would fall back to other languages in a given order.

Was that implemented?
If so..is the fallback to swedish en ?

The help system has always been designed that way. The problem was with the way the help pages get generated from the DocBook sources. During that process empty pages were generated instead of no pages. Thus, the language fallback in the help system could not work. AFAIK the problem has been addressed in the meantime (as I already mentioned in an earlier mail).

And Dennis:
No, deleting the swedish docs won't give you the English docs.

Huh? Of course it will.

Sven

Daniel Egger
2004-10-25 13:32:01 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Help system

On 24.10.2004, at 20:36, Sven Neumann wrote:

The help system has always been designed that way. The problem was with the way the help pages get generated from the DocBook sources. During that process empty pages were generated instead of no pages. Thus, the language fallback in the help system could not work. AFAIK the problem has been addressed in the meantime (as I already mentioned in an earlier mail).

That has been taken care of.

However regarding the correct processing it is very well posssible that there're still some cases in which we either create an empty element or no element at all even if translation is available.

We're working on improving that situation.

Servus, Daniel