RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

adding a help button to GimpDialog

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

11 of 11 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

adding a help button to GimpDialog Sven Neumann 03 Oct 17:51
  adding a help button to GimpDialog David Neary 03 Oct 22:06
  adding a help button to GimpDialog Daniel Egger 04 Oct 02:15
   adding a help button to GimpDialog Sven Neumann 04 Oct 10:28
    adding a help button to GimpDialog Daniel Egger 05 Oct 00:32
  adding a help button to GimpDialog Sven Neumann 04 Oct 16:33
   adding a help button to GimpDialog Ellen Reitmayr 05 Oct 12:18
    adding a help button to GimpDialog Sven Neumann 05 Oct 13:20
     adding a help button to GimpDialog Ellen Reitmayr 05 Oct 14:25
     adding a help button to GimpDialog Daniel Egger 05 Oct 15:25
      adding a help button to GimpDialog Roman Joost 06 Oct 11:56
Sven Neumann
2004-10-03 17:51:32 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

I wonder if we should do the following simple change to GimpDialog:

What this patch does is, it automatically adds a help button for each GimpDialog that is created with a help_func. Such a button makes it lot more obvious that GIMP has a help system. The gimp-help-2 project has achieved a lot during the last months and it looks like we will be able to ship GIMP 2.2 with a reasonable amount of help content. It would thus make sense to announce the availability of help more prominently. This is what this patch does.

There are some drawbacks also. In some dialogs, mainly when there are already a number of buttons in the action area, the help button causes the dialog to become wider and it causes the action area to look crowded. This is for example the case for the File->New dialog.

Another drawback is that some plug-ins may already add a help button. The patch attempts to suppress this button by skipping buttons that have GTK_RESPONSE_HELP as their response_id. This will not work reliably and perhaps it is even a bad idea to do such a thing. Plug-in developers will have a hard time to figure out why the help button they added behaves differently with GIMP 2.2.

We can of course add a gimprc option for the Help button but my question is if it is a good idea to add such a button per default.

Sven

David Neary
2004-10-03 22:06:05 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Sven Neumann wrote:

We can of course add a gimprc option for the Help button but my question is if it is a good idea to add such a button per default.

I think it's a good idea having a help button by default.

Cheers, Dave.

Daniel Egger
2004-10-04 02:15:57 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On 03.10.2004, at 17:51, Sven Neumann wrote:

I like your idea very much.

It might make sense to get an opinion from the usability guys though. Maybe have any suggestions how to address the potential issues you've raised.

Servus,
Daniel

Sven Neumann
2004-10-04 10:28:22 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Daniel Egger writes:

It might make sense to get an opinion from the usability guys though. Maybe have any suggestions how to address the potential issues you've raised.

Who are the usability guys?

Sven

Sven Neumann
2004-10-04 16:33:21 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

the responses have been very positive so far, so I've given this a little more testing. There are a couple of dialogs where the help button is not appropriate and just looks odd. These are mainly confirmation dialogs like for example the one you get when you close an image. I suggest that we don't set a help-id on such dialogs. We can set the help_func so that pressing F1 opens the help-browser with the default page but there would not be a help button. In particular this means removing the following help-ids:

#define GIMP_HELP_FILE_NEW_CONFIRM "gimp-file-new-confirm" #define GIMP_HELP_FILE_SAVE_OVERWRITE "gimp-file-save-overwrite" #define GIMP_HELP_FILE_CLOSE_CONFIRM "gimp-file-close-confirm" #define GIMP_HELP_FILE_QUIT_CONFIRM "gimp-file-quit-confirm" #define GIMP_HELP_EXPORT_CONFIRM_DIALOG "gimp-export-confirm-dialog"

Would that make sense?

There are a couple of other dialogs where the help button disturbs the dialog layout and I am sure there are some dialogs that I didn't look at yet. So if you agree with the above change I will investigate what needs to be done to make the help button configurable. If it turns out that this is feasible, I would commit this change so that it can see some more testing with the 2.1.6 release.

Sven

Daniel Egger
2004-10-05 00:32:01 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On 04.10.2004, at 10:28, Sven Neumann wrote:

Who are the usability guys?

Ellen Reitmayr would be a good start. Maybe the Ximian usability guys or the Sun HIG people.

Servus, Daniel

Ellen Reitmayr
2004-10-05 12:18:01 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

first of all: it is a great idea to add help buttons to all dialogs. Not only that it makes it more obvious that GIMP has a help system, but it also offers the opportunity of providing *real* context sensitive help. That's exactly what we once-in-a-while users need 8-)

I checked the gnome hig to see if there are rules when to apply a help button to dialogs, but unfortunately, that section is missing. However, the general rule should be: 'If a dialog requires further action and a specific help is available, provide a help button.' That means - a simple confirmation dialog where no further settings/actions can be performed does not need to have a help button. - if no help is available for a dialog, do not provide the help button as it will confuse and annoy the user (it will keep the user from calling help in the future. Does help_func check that?) - if possible, provide context sensitive help (open the corresponding chapter in the help pages).

Please also make sure that the help button appears at the same location in each dialog. Best place it at the lower left edge, possibly leaving some space to the action buttons (I know, this will make the dialog even broader, but it will also aid to unclutter the layout).

Hope that was of help,

greetings /ellen

On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 16:33, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

the responses have been very positive so far, so I've given this a little more testing. There are a couple of dialogs where the help button is not appropriate and just looks odd. These are mainly confirmation dialogs like for example the one you get when you close an image. I suggest that we don't set a help-id on such dialogs. We can set the help_func so that pressing F1 opens the help-browser with the default page but there would not be a help button. In particular this means removing the following help-ids:

#define GIMP_HELP_FILE_NEW_CONFIRM "gimp-file-new-confirm" #define GIMP_HELP_FILE_SAVE_OVERWRITE "gimp-file-save-overwrite" #define GIMP_HELP_FILE_CLOSE_CONFIRM "gimp-file-close-confirm" #define GIMP_HELP_FILE_QUIT_CONFIRM "gimp-file-quit-confirm" #define GIMP_HELP_EXPORT_CONFIRM_DIALOG "gimp-export-confirm-dialog"

Would that make sense?

There are a couple of other dialogs where the help button disturbs the dialog layout and I am sure there are some dialogs that I didn't look at yet. So if you agree with the above change I will investigate what needs to be done to make the help button configurable. If it turns out that this is feasible, I would commit this change so that it can see some more testing with the 2.1.6 release.

Sven _______________________________________________ Gimp-developer mailing list
Gimp-developer@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer

Sven Neumann
2004-10-05 13:20:40 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Ellen Reitmayr writes:

- if no help is available for a dialog, do not provide the help button as it will confuse and annoy the user (it will keep the user from calling help in the future. Does help_func check that?)

No, there is no way for GIMP to find out whether a particular help page exists. Actually there is always a help page available but for some topics it will simply say something along the lines of: "No help has been written on this topic yet. If you want to help, join the help authors...". IMO this is acceptable. It would however be interesting to know how many of the help-ids are already covered in gimp-help-2. Do such figures exist?

- if possible, provide context sensitive help (open the corresponding chapter in the help pages).

That's what we have been doing since GIMP 1.2. We just did not have help buttons. Pressing F1 in a dialog does however get you directly to the corresponding help page and so does pressing F1 with a menu item focused.

Please also make sure that the help button appears at the same location in each dialog. Best place it at the lower left edge, possibly leaving some space to the action buttons (I know, this will make the dialog even broader, but it will also aid to unclutter the layout).

That is the layout we have choosen. Well, there isn't necessarily extra spacing between the help button and the action buttons but then GtkDialog doesn't really give us a lot of choice here.

Sven

Ellen Reitmayr
2004-10-05 14:25:33 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 13:20, Sven Neumann wrote:

No, there is no way for GIMP to find out whether a particular help page exists. Actually there is always a help page available but for some topics it will simply say something along the lines of: "No help has been written on this topic yet. If you want to help, join the help authors...". IMO this is acceptable.

Yes, that's very acceptable (-> What annoys the user is when she isn't told that there are no corresponding help pages, starts to search the contents but does not find appropriate help...)

/ellen

Daniel Egger
2004-10-05 15:25:09 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On 05.10.2004, at 13:20, Sven Neumann wrote:

authors...". IMO this is acceptable. It would however be interesting to know how many of the help-ids are already covered in gimp-help-2. Do such figures exist?

In the gimp-help-2 module there is a docs/makeStatistics.py written by Roman which is supposed to deliver that information. Since one of my machines just borked, I cannot provide the results ATM.

Servus, Daniel

Roman Joost
2004-10-06 11:56:40 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 03:25:09PM +0200, Daniel Egger wrote:

On 05.10.2004, at 13:20, Sven Neumann wrote:

authors...". IMO this is acceptable. It would however be interesting to know how many of the help-ids are already covered in gimp-help-2. Do such figures exist?

In the gimp-help-2 module there is a docs/makeStatistics.py written by Roman which is supposed to deliver that information. Since one of my machines just borked, I cannot provide the results ATM.

General statistics:
===================

Language: fr Found titles for: 359 ids - Todo: 12 ids Percent done: |######### | 96%

Language: de Found titles for: 249 ids - Todo: 122 ids Percent done: |###### | 67%

Language: en Found titles for: 588 ids - Todo: -217 ids Percent done: |###############| 158%

Language: sv Found titles for: 45 ids - Todo: 326 ids Percent done: |# | 12%

Language: zh_CN Found titles for: 288 ids - Todo: 83 ids Percent done: |####### | 77%

Note, that this result don't cover any additional written documents.

Greetings,