RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

keybinding for File->Open Location

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

87isa9t4nn.fsf@localhost.lo... 07 Oct 20:23
  keybinding for File->Open Location Simon Budig 20 Sep 20:27
   keybinding for File->Open Location Nathan Summers 20 Sep 21:39
1095532376.414c7f58eaf9d@we... 07 Oct 20:23
20040919111414.GB6129@free.fr 07 Oct 20:23
87zn3m4gm2.fsf@localhost.lo... 07 Oct 20:23
20040919121005.GD6718@free.fr 07 Oct 20:23
87d60i8j04.fsf_-_@localhost... 07 Oct 20:23
20040920112621.GA27141@budi... 07 Oct 20:23
Simon Budig
2004-09-20 20:27:30 UTC (over 19 years ago)

[transferring to gimp-devel since gimp-user is not the proper forum to discuss this beyond the voting level]

[Sven pondered changing the CTRL-L shortcut of the layers dialog so that it is available for "File / Open Location" as suggested by the HIG.]

Sven Neumann (sven@gimp.org) wrote:

Simon Budig writes:

I frequently use CTRL-L to bring the layers tab to the front, it is a handy shortcut.

Of course it is a very useful shortcut and I use it a lot myself. However if we want to try to coexist peacefully with other applications, it would make sense to respect the fact that Ctrl-L is a standard keybinding that should be bound to "Open Location" in all applications. The question is thus if we can find a different keybinding for the Layers dialog.

I don't think this is the question. The question is if we have a very good reason to inconvenience existing users or if it is necessary to change the keybinding to peacefully coexist with other applications.

Besides the fact that CTRL-L is documented in a lot of places for the layers dialog and the Layers-Dialog is way more important than the "Open Location" function I don't think that the HIG really suggests this binding for applications like the GIMP.

Table 4.15 on http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/2.0/menus-standard.html suggests CTRL-L as a shortcut for the "Go -> Location..." for "a browser application". I don't think that the Gimp is anything near a "browser application" [1].

So I don't see a need to change this frequently used and well established shortcut. Gimp very well can conform to the HIG without implementing CTRL-L for "Open Location".

Generally I'd like to have some kind of policy on the keyboard shortcuts. I tend to be a bit conservative with changing defaults, especially when I have to explain changes to people on fairs etc. (The ->Image/Layers reorganisation still bites people - but this was IMO a necessary change).

Maybe I am talking blatantly obvious stuff now, but maybe it is the time to explicitely state this: We should prefer Gimp-Usability over Standard-Compliance. Always. And just because we happen to implement lots of the HIG-suggestions that should not imply that we implement everything that remotely seems applicable. Especially I'd like to suggest better reasoning than "it's in the HIG" when it is about first-class[2] established keyboard shortcuts.

Thanks for listening :)

Bye, Simon

[1] I did not see a definition of a "browser application" but I'd define it as an application with the main purpose to visit different locations for whatever reason. It might apply to a file manager as well as a webbrowser. Of course having a standard shortcut for "Location..." makes a lot of sense here.

[2] first-class as in "needs no finger contorsion to reach" or "up to one modifier".

Nathan Summers
2004-09-20 21:39:30 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 20:27:30 +0200, Simon Budig wrote:

[Sven pondered changing the CTRL-L shortcut of the layers dialog so that it is available for "File / Open Location" as suggested by the HIG.]

Sven Neumann (sven@gimp.org) wrote:

Simon Budig writes:

I frequently use CTRL-L to bring the layers tab to the front, it is a handy shortcut.

Generally I'd like to have some kind of policy on the keyboard shortcuts. I tend to be a bit conservative with changing defaults, especially when I have to explain changes to people on fairs etc. (The ->Image/Layers reorganisation still bites people - but this was IMO a necessary change).

Maybe I am talking blatantly obvious stuff now, but maybe it is the time to explicitely state this: We should prefer Gimp-Usability over Standard-Compliance. Always. And just because we happen to implement lots of the HIG-suggestions that should not imply that we implement everything that remotely seems applicable. Especially I'd like to suggest better reasoning than "it's in the HIG" when it is about first-class[2] established keyboard shortcuts.

Definately. The HIG is useful, but even its authors will tell you it's not perfect, and every single niggly detail isn't necessarily applicable to every application. I think in general we should have a good reason for departing from the HIG, but in this case we definately have a good reason.

Rockwalrus