RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Bug...or do we turn it into a feature?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Bug...or do we turn it into a feature? Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 19 Sep 23:39
  Bug...or do we turn it into a feature? Nathan Summers 20 Sep 01:48
  Bug...or do we turn it into a feature? Sven Neumann 20 Sep 02:28
Bug...or do we turn it into a feature? Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 20 Sep 07:05
Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2004-09-19 23:39:29 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

I just came across a GIMP behavior that although is a programing error, I have liked, and as it may be hard to fix, it could be documented to become more a feature than a bug.

It has to do with Quick Mask: If one enables it, and while it is on, click to select a new working drawable (either in the Layers or in the dialogs channel), the QuickMask will still be visible, but drawing will take place on the newly selected drawable.

It seems the only way to come back to the quickmask is to togle it off and on back.

Fixes could involve: (1) not allowing to change drawables while quickmask is on, (2) or to automatically turn the quicmask off when another drawable is ectivated...or, as I propose in the title, (3) document current behavior.

I think I would dislike solution (1) - one great thing of working with the GIMP is not to have options disabled when a dialog is open, or one is performing another action.

What would you say on this subject?

JS ->

Nathan Summers
2004-09-20 01:48:43 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 18:39:29 -0300, Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:

Hi,

I just came across a GIMP behavior that although is a programing error, I have liked, and as it may be hard to fix, it could be documented to become more a feature than a bug.

It has to do with Quick Mask: If one enables it, and while it is on, click to select a new working drawable (either in the Layers or in the dialogs channel), the QuickMask will still be visible, but drawing will take place on the newly selected drawable.

It seems to me that the "correct" behavior is that the new drawable becomes activated, but quickmask is still on -- that is, the paint tools still affect the selection mask.

Rockwalrus

Sven Neumann
2004-09-20 02:28:05 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

"Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris" writes:

How is that a bug? QuickMask is just a regular channel. The button in the lower left of the image window is just a shortcut to using a channel to edit the selection mask. Nothing but a quicker UI for it.

It seems the only way to come back to the quickmask is to togle it off and on back.

Or by choosing the Qmask channel in the Channel tabs of course.

Sven

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2004-09-20 07:05:20 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Sunday 19 September 2004 20:48, Nathan Summers wrote:

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 18:39:29 -0300, Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris

wrote:

Hi,

It seems to me that the "correct" behavior is that the new drawable becomes activated, but quickmask is still on -- that is, the paint tools still affect the selection mask.

Sven pointed me out that the QuickMask is just a normal Gimp Channel, and behaves exactly like one, except for the fact it has interface shortcuts - i.e. the quickmask button and context menu.

So there is no bug at all, it is only a matter of letting this being widely known. People @ gimp-docs, is it in the manual already?

Rockwalrus

JS
->