RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Fw: [Gimp-user] So it's a layer border - nota crop frame

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Fw: [Gimp-user] So it's a layer border - not a crop frame] Carol Spears 10 Aug 08:40
  Fw: [Gimp-user] So it's a layer border - not a crop frame] Sven Neumann 10 Aug 10:53
   Fw: [Gimp-user] So it's a layer border - not a crop frame] Joao S. O. Bueno 10 Aug 15:14
Fw: [Gimp-user] So it's a layer border - nota crop frame] William Skaggs 10 Aug 16:49
  Fw: [Gimp-user] So it's a layer border - nota crop frame Carol Spears 10 Aug 17:08
Carol Spears
2004-08-10 08:40:18 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Fw: [Gimp-user] So it's a layer border - not a crop frame]

hi, there is an interesting discussion on the gimp-users list. i forward this because i am suggesting that the floating layer stuff be changed or even removed from this new gimp that has layers and such that work so well now for so long.

----- Forwarded message from John Dorfman -----

one thing that i do not understand is the need for floating layers. i dont think that this term is being used properly here. is there any reason that there needs to be the extra step to make pasting directly to an existing layer easier?

I don't think so. I believe there is (or was) a bug about that too. IMHO, when you paste, you should paste above the active layer, into a new layer, and be done with it. People can then move the layer & merge down if they really want to, but as you say, once people discover layers they rarely anchor to the original layer directly.

Hi,

I'm new here and probably won't post often, but I think I have an answer to the origin of the floating layers. I was recently looking though the GIMP 1.3 manual. And if I remember correctly, it said something like this. There was a time in GIMP or some software that inspired GIMP where there were not layers. Thus for pasting, floating layers were born to crop and move, I believe, the pasted portion to the appropriate dimensions before anchoring. Hope this was what you were looking for!

-John

Sven Neumann
2004-08-10 10:53:08 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

hi, there is an interesting discussion on the gimp-users list. i forward this because i am suggesting that the floating layer stuff be changed or even removed from this new gimp that has layers and such that work so well now for so long.

I don't think this needs any further discussion. I doubt that anyone would seriously disagree that floating selections should be removed or at least reduced. The point is that it needs an experienced GIMP hacker who wants to tackle this task.

Sven

Joao S. O. Bueno
2004-08-10 15:14:58 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Tuesday 10 August 2004 05:53, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

I don't think this needs any further discussion. I doubt that anyone would seriously disagree that floating selections should be removed or at least reduced. The point is that it needs an experienced GIMP hacker who wants to tackle this task.

Hmmm..Just for me to get a feeling on how it would work them: Instead of creating a floating selection, as it is now, a new "full featured" layer would come up.

Maybe the anchor button could be preserved, in order to allow a quick merge with another layer of choice (either the previously used layer, from which the selection was copied or floated, or the next layer selected). I think this way all today's functionality would be preserved.

Does the GIMP core treat these floating selections too different of actual layers? Or would a hack like placing a call to gimp_floating_sel_to_layer placed just after a floating selection get created do the job? (I am not suggesting that his should be the 'fix')

Sven
________

JS
->

William Skaggs
2004-08-10 16:49:53 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Fw: [Gimp-user] So it's a layer border - nota crop frame]

Sven Neumann wrote:

There is an almost trivial way of making floating selections disappear from the user's point of view: just cause any operation that creates a floating selection to automatically convert it to a new layer.

The problem with this is that it would eliminate some very useful functionality: the ability to paste into a layer mask or selection mask (in QMask mode). Actually, it isn't obvious to me what even an experienced Gimp hacker could do to keep this functionality while removing floating selections.

Best, -- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the KillerWebMail system at primate.ucdavis.edu

Carol Spears
2004-08-10 17:08:23 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Fw: [Gimp-user] So it's a layer border - nota crop frame

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 07:49:53AM -0700, William Skaggs wrote:

Sven Neumann wrote:

There is an almost trivial way of making floating selections disappear from the user's point of view: just cause any operation that creates a floating selection to automatically convert it to a new layer.

The problem with this is that it would eliminate some very useful functionality: the ability to paste into a layer mask or selection mask (in QMask mode). Actually, it isn't obvious to me what even an experienced Gimp hacker could do to keep this functionality while removing floating selections.

leave Selection -->Float there.

make all other paste operations paste directly into a new layer. allow Floating Selections all the priveleges and cpu it historically has had.

carol