RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

game development with gimp

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

game development with gimp Steve Siverling 28 Jul 02:31
game development with gimp William Skaggs 28 Jul 04:16
game development with gimp Juhana Sadeharju 05 Aug 13:50
Steve Siverling
2004-07-28 02:31:07 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Re: Gimp

If I were to go about creating a Game Master GIMP, I would focus on automating a number of the more commonly used tasks in the GIMP that would be used often with producing game art. Like I said in my example...one thing would be the creation of alpha channels. As it stands right now, these can be somewhat arduous in the GIMP right now. However by including a few options and making color calculations within the editor - you can use a Wizard of sorts to create the alpha channel automatically.

The other areas would be tiling of textures as well as creating a few pallete tools to allow for faster creation of character skins and level textures. If I had to guess...all of these could be implemented in a month or so, given proper motivation.

I was wondering, if anyone would be interested in developing this. Also what motivation it would take to make this happen.

William Skaggs
2004-07-28 04:16:09 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Steve Siverling wrote:

I was wondering, if anyone would be interested in developing this. Also what motivation it would take to make this happen.

For a month of work? I would say about $5000 - $10000 worth of motivation.

Best,
-- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the KillerWebMail system at primate.ucdavis.edu

Juhana Sadeharju
2004-08-05 13:50:11 UTC (over 19 years ago)

If I were to go about creating a Game Master GIMP, I would = focus on automating a number of the more commonly used tasks in the GIMP = that would be used often with producing game art. Like I said in my = example...one thing would be the creation of alpha channels.

[ ... ]

The other areas would be tiling of textures as well as = creating a few pallete tools to allow for faster creation of character = skins and level textures.

I would like to have the example mentioned and more if anyone would like to create them. To save time, very plain list of operations would do fine -- no need to write polished tutorials. We can work out any missing details later.

You may refer to existing game design tutorials found on the web if you wish.

Are this kind of tools available for PhotoShop and equivalent software? If yes, I would like to read the manuals of the tools.

I already know from one of the tutorial at http://www.leveldesigner.com that the environment mapping may require a loop between the game engine and the painting software. GIMP could feed the environment map directly to the GPU texture memory with OpenGL. In the game the change would be seen immediately --- maybe even when the painting is in progress.

Juhana