RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

help docs for tablets

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

help docs for tablets William Skaggs 28 Jul 00:30
  help docs for tablets Philip Lafleur 28 Jul 01:28
help docs for tablets William Skaggs 28 Jul 02:05
  help docs for tablets Philip Lafleur 28 Jul 02:35
   help docs for tablets Roman Joost 30 Jul 09:59
help docs for tablets William Skaggs 28 Jul 04:11
William Skaggs
2004-07-28 00:30:11 UTC (over 19 years ago)

help docs for tablets

Hi,

I have been putting some stuff into gimp-help-2 recently, and one thought I have is that it would be a good idea to make use of material from the old Gimp 1.2 GUM to the extent possible. In the old GUM there was a pretty nice chapter about using Gimp with tablets, but it is seriously out of date, and not being a tablet user myself I'm not capable of updating it. On the chance that somebody here can help, I've extracted the text and placed it in the Wiki, at http://wiki.gimp.org/gimp/DrawingTablets. If you're familiar with tablet use and can find the time to go through it and fix errors -- or simply point them out -- it would be quite helpful. Please don't worry at all about organization or elegance of language -- all that matters at this point is that the material be correct and as complete as possible.

Thanks in advance, -- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the KillerWebMail system at primate.ucdavis.edu

Philip Lafleur
2004-07-28 01:28:48 UTC (over 19 years ago)

help docs for tablets

William Skaggs wrote:

Hi,

I have been putting some stuff into gimp-help-2 recently, and one thought I have is that it would be a good idea to make use of material from the old Gimp 1.2 GUM to the extent possible. In the old GUM there was a pretty nice chapter about using Gimp with tablets, but it is seriously out of date, and not being a tablet user myself I'm not capable of updating it. On the chance that somebody here can help, I've extracted the text and placed it in the Wiki, at http://wiki.gimp.org/gimp/DrawingTablets. If you're familiar with tablet use and can find the time to go through it and fix errors -- or simply point them out -- it would be quite helpful. Please don't worry at all about organization or elegance of language -- all that matters at this point is that the material be correct and as complete as possible.

Thanks in advance, -- Bill

I don't think there's much of a point in rewriting what's already maintained and much more complete in the HOWTO at http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net .

Philip

William Skaggs
2004-07-28 02:05:43 UTC (over 19 years ago)

help docs for tablets

Philip Lafleur writes:

I don't think there's much of a point in rewriting what's already maintained and much more complete in the HOWTO at http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net .

Well, the whole point of trying to use material from GUM is to avoid unnecessary rewriting, but if that HOWTO is the best that can be done, then the only conclusion is that using a tablet in Gimp is only possible in Linux and only for adventuresome people with strong computer skills. That may be the case, but I somehow thought that things were a little better.

Best, -- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the KillerWebMail system at primate.ucdavis.edu

Philip Lafleur
2004-07-28 02:35:29 UTC (over 19 years ago)

help docs for tablets

William Skaggs wrote:

Well, the whole point of trying to use material from GUM is to avoid unnecessary rewriting, but if that HOWTO is the best that can be done, then the only conclusion is that using a tablet in Gimp is only possible in Linux and only for adventuresome people with strong computer skills. That may be the case, but I somehow thought that things were a little better.

Best, -- Bill

In Linux that is indeed the case, unfortunately, and as far as I know that document is probably the best source of help. I don't think the material from GUM, which is pretty outdated, suggests anything different - in fact, from looking it over, it appears that things are much simpler now than they were at the time it was written. Of course it doesn't mean that tablets can only be used with GIMP in Linux. It's just that, for example, in Windows there is no need for such a guide; I can use my tablet by just running gimp with the --use-wintab option. I can't really speak for any other OSes.

Philip

William Skaggs
2004-07-28 04:11:16 UTC (over 19 years ago)

help docs for tablets

Philip Lafleur wrote:

In Linux that is indeed the case, unfortunately, and as far as I know that document is probably the best source of help. I don't think the material from GUM, which is pretty outdated, suggests anything different - in fact, from looking it over, it appears that things are much simpler now than they were at the time it was written. Of course it doesn't mean that tablets can only be used with GIMP in Linux. It's just that, for example, in Windows there is no need for such a guide; I can use my tablet by just running gimp with the --use-wintab option. I can't really speak for any other OSes.

Okay, thank you, I followed your advice and deleted all of the material on installing and configuring a tablet, replacing it with a pointer to the suggested web site.

Best, -- Bill

Roman Joost
2004-07-30 09:59:32 UTC (over 19 years ago)

help docs for tablets

On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 08:35:29PM -0400, Philip Lafleur wrote:

William Skaggs wrote:

Why not adding a bibliography and pointing to the Linux wacom documentation?

Anyway, putting documents to the WIKI which need a big overhaul is a nice idea. I'll have a look at the document. Maybe, we could document only GIMP related topics and delegating basic tablet usage stuff to the Wacom Howto.

Greetings,