RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Wording in German: Toolbox

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Wording in German: Toolbox Roman Joost 26 Jul 17:12
  Wording in German: Toolbox Tino Schwarze 26 Jul 17:23
  Wording in German: Toolbox Sven Neumann 26 Jul 17:31
   Wording in German: Toolbox Roman Joost 26 Jul 17:39
   Wording in German: Toolbox Nathan Carl Summers 27 Jul 02:56
    Wording in German: Toolbox Jeff Trefftzs 27 Jul 05:20
  Wording in German: Toolbox Daniel Egger 26 Jul 18:01
Roman Joost
2004-07-26 17:12:37 UTC (over 19 years ago)

This mail is for "translating" the Toolbox into German. I wasn't sure how to translate the Toolbox to German for the manual. But please, hold your breath and let me explain why.

I was digging a bit around in the net to find out, which word is more used for the Toolbox: "Werkzeugfenster" or "Werkzeugkasten". The most tutorials I found are using "Werkzeugkasten", even Sven uses "Werkzeugkasten" in his book. But "Werkzeugfenster" is often more used in forums, when people try to describe a problem and they aren't familiar with The GIMP.

I spoke to Ellen to find out what she think. She said, that "Werkzeugfenster" will be more descriptive. "Werkzeugkasten" is a bit odd, because she have to think first, what I'm refering to. Thats exactly my feeling. If I were a new user, "Werkzeugfenster" will be a more descriptive word for the Toolbox than "Werkzeugkasten". But, maybe I'm totally wrong and other may think of a completly different window/dialog?

So, what do you guys think: "Werkzeugfenster" or "Werkzeugkasten"?

Thanks,

Tino Schwarze
2004-07-26 17:23:13 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi there,

On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 05:12:37PM +0200, Roman Joost wrote:

Let's vote!

[ ] Werkzeugfenster [ ] Werkzeugkasten

My vote goes for "Werkzeugfenster".

Bye, Tino.

Sven Neumann
2004-07-26 17:31:28 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Roman Joost writes:

This mail is for "translating" the Toolbox into German. I wasn't sure how to translate the Toolbox to German for the manual. But please, hold your breath and let me explain why.

I was digging a bit around in the net to find out, which word is more used for the Toolbox: "Werkzeugfenster" or "Werkzeugkasten". The most tutorials I found are using "Werkzeugkasten", even Sven uses "Werkzeugkasten" in his book. But "Werkzeugfenster" is often more used in forums, when people try to describe a problem and they aren't familiar with The GIMP.

I spoke to Ellen to find out what she think. She said, that "Werkzeugfenster" will be more descriptive. "Werkzeugkasten" is a bit odd, because she have to think first, what I'm refering to. Thats exactly my feeling. If I were a new user, "Werkzeugfenster" will be a more descriptive word for the Toolbox than "Werkzeugkasten". But, maybe I'm totally wrong and other may think of a completly different window/dialog?

I suggest you bring this up on the gnome-i18n mailing-list. Other apps are most likely using this string as well and the best solution is to use a consistent translation. I am sure you already checked the german glossary maintained by the GTP, didn't you?

Sven

Roman Joost
2004-07-26 17:39:37 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 05:31:28PM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

I am sure you already checked the german glossary maintained by the GTP, didn't you?

Yep - and there is nothing in there. But i'll post my message as on gimp-i18n as well.

Greetings,

Daniel Egger
2004-07-26 18:01:45 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On 26.07.2004, at 17:12, Roman Joost wrote:

I was digging a bit around in the net to find out, which word is more used for the Toolbox: "Werkzeugfenster" or "Werkzeugkasten". The most tutorials I found are using "Werkzeugkasten", even Sven uses "Werkzeugkasten" in his book. But "Werkzeugfenster" is often more used in forums, when people try to describe a problem and they aren't familiar with The GIMP

I prefer Werkzeugkasten simply because the window that is displaying the tools is not necessarily exclusively occupied by tools.

Servus, Daniel

Nathan Carl Summers
2004-07-27 02:56:06 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Roman Joost writes:

I don't speak German, but Werkzeugfenster sounds cooler than Werkzeugkasten. In fact, I wouldn't mind a "Werkzeugfenster" T-shirt.

Rockwalrus

Jeff Trefftzs
2004-07-27 05:20:07 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 17:56, Nathan Carl Summers wrote:

I don't speak German, but Werkzeugfenster sounds cooler than Werkzeugkasten. In fact, I wouldn't mind a "Werkzeugfenster" T-shirt.

Dare I suggest Werkzeugkastenfenster? ("Toolbox window")