RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

A few website ideas

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

A few website ideas Niklas Mattisson 17 Jul 01:40
  A few website ideas Roman Joost 23 Jul 00:58
Niklas Mattisson
2004-07-17 01:40:16 UTC (over 19 years ago)

A few website ideas

Hello lists,

So its been a little while since the GimpCon was and I was hoping to put my ideas together a little better then I have them now but I will try to explain the ideas that I have as good as possible.

New things: ------------
* User-FAQ - This needs to be added to the website as soon as possible. I do not think we have problems with questions but problems with how to design the FAQ.

However at the moment I think it would be really good to clean the old old FAQ and add questions that reflects on 2.0. Rockwlrs and I spoke about this a little at GimpCon because I knew that he has been working with the questions before.

* Documentation - Is needed to provide users and developers with the new documentation, we also need to have the different languages on the website. This should be able to be done by using some sort of script or buildsystem for the documentation.

Anyone that has any good ideas about how to do this in a really good way so that we can update it easily?
And so that the languages gets updated also? Maybe be able to update language by language also?

Website style: ---------------
* Hidding submenus - The menu is starting to grow and it would be good to make it hide some of the submenus. As soon as you enter the main section of the link you click on, the submenus will appear. This might help a little in improving the view also to where you are in the menu.

This idea also gives us a little problem, the menus need to be named in a way that is understandable and straightforward to the user. Example:

Documentation '-> Tutorials

Having Documentation as the main section name is not really telling me that "here you can get a lot of different help" instead it is telling me that "here you will find some cool documentation". But if we name it:

Help |-> Documentation
'-> Tutorials

It should say that "here you can get some help". Maybe I am wrong, but
this is some of the things I am looking at right now.

The ideas above are only some of the things that I am looking at right now, but they are the major big parts that I would like to see more discussions about on the lists. Take a look at the ideas and give me and the others on the gimp-web list some feedback. And remember......they are ideas to improve and help.

Regards,

Roman Joost
2004-07-23 00:58:35 UTC (over 19 years ago)

A few website ideas

On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 01:40:16AM +0200, Niklas Mattisson wrote:

New things:
------------
* User-FAQ - This needs to be added to the website as soon as possible. I do not think we have problems with questions but problems with how to design the FAQ.

Yeah - i collected some questions because i thought about a FAQ in the user manual. The website is the better place, so if you want to have my docbook xmlised FAQ .... ;)

* Documentation - Is needed to provide users and developers with the new documentation, we also need to have the different languages on the website. This should be able to be done by using some sort of script or buildsystem for the documentation.

Anyone that has any good ideas about how to do this in a really good way so that we can update it easily?
And so that the languages gets updated also? Maybe be able to update language by language also?

Yosh want to give me an account and i'll put the documentation frequently on this one. This should solve the problem I guess...

Website style:
---------------
* Hidding submenus - The menu is starting to grow and it would be good to make it hide some of the submenus. As soon as you enter the main section of the link you click on, the submenus will appear. This might help a little in improving the view also to where you are in the menu.

This idea also gives us a little problem, the menus need to be named in a way that is understandable and straightforward to the user. Example:

Documentation '-> Tutorials

Having Documentation as the main section name is not really telling me that "here you can get a lot of different help" instead it is telling me that "here you will find some cool documentation". But if we name it:

Help |-> Documentation
'-> Tutorials

It should say that "here you can get some help". Maybe I am wrong, but
this is some of the things I am looking at right now.

Well.. i would assume that the "Help" menupoint gives me help if I'm stuck in the website or need some to know what some words mean. I think Documentation is the better main point. You can then specify which documentation you mean:

Documentation |-> Developer
|-> User Manual
'-> Tutorials

(or whatever fits better in the left menu)

Greetings,