RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

easy questions

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

easy questions Zack 07 Jul 01:18
  easy questions Sven Neumann 07 Jul 02:11
  easy questions Dave Neary 07 Jul 10:06
   easy questions David Odin 07 Jul 16:49
    easy questions Dave Neary 07 Jul 17:03
     easy questions Tor Lillqvist 08 Jul 22:29
      easy questions Sven Neumann 09 Jul 01:51
       easy questions Nathan Carl Summers 09 Jul 04:38
Zack
2004-07-07 01:18:06 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

easy questions

Hi folks,
I have a couple basic questions for the people who know the GIMP code well. The first is, how intimately is the GIMP tied to GTK+? The second is, I haven't looked at the code at all, but is the GIMP multithreaded and/or does it absolutely require a multitasking OS? Thank you...

---------------------------------
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail - 50x more storage than other providers!

Sven Neumann
2004-07-07 02:11:12 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

easy questions

Hi,

Zack writes:

I have a couple basic questions for the people who know the GIMP code well. The first is, how intimately is the GIMP tied to GTK+?

Most of the core code (but none of the plug-ins) has a clean separation of the GUI from the core functionality. However since a good deal of code is GUI code I'd say it is quite intimate with GTK+.

The second is, I haven't looked at the code at all, but is the GIMP multithreaded and/or does it absolutely require a multitasking OS? Thank you...

It makes use of multi-threading if compiled with the --enable-mp flag and however it is compiled, it absolutely needs a multitasking OS.

Sven

Dave Neary
2004-07-07 10:06:58 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

easy questions

Hi Zack,

Quoting Zack :

The first is, how intimately is the GIMP tied to GTK+?

Very. Although the GUI code has been separated out from the internals, the GIMP depends on GTK+ to a huge extent. It is inextricably linked to glib and gobject too.

The second is, I haven't looked at the code at all, but is the GIMP multithreaded and/or does it absolutely require a multitasking OS?

I wouldn't say so. I don't believe there is threading code in the GIMP, but I am not sure.

Cheers,
Dave.

David Odin
2004-07-07 16:49:22 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

easy questions

On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 10:06:58AM +0200, David Neary wrote:

Hi Zack,

Quoting Zack :

The first is, how intimately is the GIMP tied to GTK+?

Very. Although the GUI code has been separated out from the internals, the GIMP depends on GTK+ to a huge extent. It is inextricably linked to glib and gobject too.

The second is, I haven't looked at the code at all, but is the GIMP multithreaded and/or does it absolutely require a multitasking OS?

I wouldn't say so. I don't believe there is threading code in the GIMP, but I am not sure.

You won't be able to use any plugin without a multitasking OS...

Regards,

DindinX

Dave Neary
2004-07-07 17:03:53 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

easy questions

Hi,

Quoting David Odin :

You won't be able to use any plugin without a multitasking OS...

Won't the plug-in just become modular over the main app? Oh, no - we use shared memory, so the two apps need to be running at the same time...

Dave.

Tor Lillqvist
2004-07-08 22:29:37 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

easy questions

> > > > The second is, I haven't looked at the code at all, but is the GIMP > > > > multithreaded and/or does it absolutely require a multitasking OS? > > You won't be able to use any plugin without a multitasking OS...

I think what the OP really meant to ask whether GIMP requires a *pre-emptively* multitasking OS. I.e. one that can interrupt a running process that has exceeded its timeslice, even if it doesn't do any system calls (or similar) that gives the kernel a chance to let another process have the CPU. (For instance, Windows 3.1 wasn't able to do that.) As far as I can guess, sure, GIMP might work on such a system... as long as it has other functionality that GIMP and GTK needs. That's the main problem, not having pre-emptive multitasking would to me indicate there's a good chance that the OS is very lacking in other respects, too.

--tml

Sven Neumann
2004-07-09 01:51:19 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

easy questions

Hi,

Tor Lillqvist writes:

I think what the OP really meant to ask whether GIMP requires a *pre-emptively* multitasking OS. I.e. one that can interrupt a running process that has exceeded its timeslice, even if it doesn't do any system calls (or similar) that gives the kernel a chance to let another process have the CPU. (For instance, Windows 3.1 wasn't able to do that.) As far as I can guess, sure, GIMP might work on such a system...

I don't think GIMP plug-ins would work w/o proper multitasking and using GIMP w/o plug-ins doesn't make too much sense.

Sven

Nathan Carl Summers
2004-07-09 04:38:14 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

easy questions

On 9 Jul 2004, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Tor Lillqvist writes:

I think what the OP really meant to ask whether GIMP requires a *pre-emptively* multitasking OS. I.e. one that can interrupt a running process that has exceeded its timeslice, even if it doesn't do any system calls (or similar) that gives the kernel a chance to let another process have the CPU. (For instance, Windows 3.1 wasn't able to do that.) As far as I can guess, sure, GIMP might work on such a system...

I don't think GIMP plug-ins would work w/o proper multitasking and using GIMP w/o plug-ins doesn't make too much sense.

Hmm, I'm confident you could get it to work on a cooperative multitasking system. You might need to add a yield() into the glib loop, but no big deal. Of course, it wouldn't work *well*, but then again cooperative multitasking never does.

Rockwalrus