RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

rearranging <Toolbox>Xtns Menu

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

10 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

rearranging <Toolbox>Xtns Menu Carol Spears 06 Jul 17:47
  rearranging <Toolbox>Xtns Menu Sven Neumann 06 Jul 19:20
  rearranging <Toolbox>Xtns Menu David Neary 06 Jul 20:34
   rearranging <Toolbox>Xtns Menu Carol Spears 06 Jul 21:29
    rearranging <Toolbox>Xtns Menu David Neary 06 Jul 21:47
     rearranging <Toolbox>Xtns Menu Carol Spears 06 Jul 21:51
  rearranging <Toolbox>Xtns Menu Roman Joost 09 Jul 14:03
   rearranging <Toolbox>Xtns Menu Carol Spears 09 Jul 21:28
    rearranging <Toolbox>Xtns Menu Sven Neumann 10 Jul 00:43
     rearranging <Toolbox>Xtns Menu Carol Spears 10 Jul 06:05
Carol Spears
2004-07-06 17:47:14 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

hi,

i took out a bug report on this: http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=145507

i am also still jet lagged from the very wonderful conference experience (OT, if we had had one more day in Norway, the plan was to WAR Drive Bergin and get beta back in action; we had a WiFi Sniffing gimp developer ....)

the bug report suggests this rearrangement of the Xtns menu (which is a huge mess if you install all of the difference scripting options that the linux gimp has):

The New Structure /Xtns/:

Module Manager DB Browser
Plugin Details
Unit Editor
* Perl -->
Browser
Console
Server
------------
* Help -->
* Documentation -->
* Bookmarks -->
* Test -->
* Script-Fu -->
Browser
Console
Server
------------
* Help -->
* Documentation -->
* Bookmarks -->
* Test -->
* Python -->
Browser
Console
Server
------------
* Help -->
* Documentation -->
* Bookmarks -->
* Test -->
----------------------
* Animation -->
* Render -->
* Art -->
* Patterns -->
* Shapes -->
* Themes -->
* Web -->
* Logos -->
* Navigation -->
* Low Res Print -->
* Logos -->
* Navigation -->
* High Res Print -->
* Logos -->
* Navigation -->
* Utilities -->

I also attached a version of web-browser.scm that reflects some of these proposed changes.

there is a chance that my reordering is not good, flawed, named poorly or ill-timed and probably some discussion of this here is good before i continue to get involved with it.

carol

Sven Neumann
2004-07-06 19:20:15 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

I also attached a version of web-browser.scm that reflects some of these proposed changes.

Before GIMP 2.0 we basically agreed that we should not have any external links in our menus. The reason for that is that we don't have any control over these web pages and would have to release a new version of GIMP when the link changes. Links to external pages should be kept on www.gimp.org.

I basically like the proposed menu structure except for all the Help and Test menus. They should IMO not be there.

Sven

David Neary
2004-07-06 20:34:18 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi Carol,

Carol Spears wrote:

the bug report suggests this rearrangement of the Xtns menu (which is a huge mess if you install all of the difference scripting options that the linux gimp has):

Agreed :)

* Perl -->

* Script-Fu -->

* Python -->

One thing I would really like to see is plug-ins installing themselves according to their function, rather than what language they are written in. This is more work, of course (or perhaps not - maybe it's just a case of removing the Perl, Python and Script-fu menus and keeping all the structure underneath).

Cheers, Dave.

Carol Spears
2004-07-06 21:29:07 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

moin mr. neary,
On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 08:34:18PM +0200, David Neary wrote:

Carol Spears wrote:

Agreed :)

* Perl -->

* Script-Fu -->

* Python -->

One thing I would really like to see is plug-ins installing themselves according to their function, rather than what language they are written in. This is more work, of course (or perhaps not - maybe it's just a case of removing the Perl, Python and Script-fu menus and keeping all the structure underneath).

there are things that belong directly to the scripting things that get used when writing scripts. if you are writing script-fu, the python console is of no use to you, for instance.

i put only things that would be useful for writing scripts into these Xtns menu options.

carol

David Neary
2004-07-06 21:47:50 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Moin Mlle Spears,

Carol Spears wrote:

there are things that belong directly to the scripting things that get used when writing scripts. if you are writing script-fu, the python console is of no use to you, for instance.

i put only things that would be useful for writing scripts into these Xtns menu options.

That has a certain logic. How about Console->Perl, Console->Python and Console->Script-fu instead? Then again, if the actual plug-ins are in more functional positions, I'm happy.

Cheers, Dave.

Carol Spears
2004-07-06 21:51:06 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 09:47:50PM +0200, David Neary wrote:

Moin Mlle Spears,

Carol Spears wrote:

That has a certain logic. How about Console->Perl, Console->Python and Console->Script-fu instead? Then again, if the actual plug-ins are in more functional positions, I'm happy.

consider the tear off menu:

Console: Perl
Python
Script-Fu
Tiny-Fu

consider this tear off menu:

Python: Browser
Console
Server

even more, i am considering what the average script-fu writer does while always being faced with the fact that there is a perl console available -- they work so much in their own little space now.

the temptation here is to move them around for tactile reasons instead of smart menu making ....

carol

Roman Joost
2004-07-09 14:03:26 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi Carol,

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 08:47:14AM -0700, Carol Spears wrote:

Plugin Details
Unit Editor
* Perl -->
Browser
Console
Server
------------
* Help -->
* Documentation -->
* Bookmarks -->

Correct me if I'm wrong, but do you refer here to the normal Help which is now in /Help? If not, should the help entry only cover documentation for the plugins or what is the help thingy doing there?

Cheers,

Carol Spears
2004-07-09 21:28:55 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

hello Roman,
On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 02:03:26PM +0200, Roman Joost wrote:

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 08:47:14AM -0700, Carol Spears wrote:

Plugin Details
Unit Editor
* Perl -->
Browser
Console
Server
------------
* Help -->
* Documentation -->
* Bookmarks -->

Correct me if I'm wrong, but do you refer here to the normal Help which is now in /Help? If not, should the help entry only cover documentation for the plugins or what is the help thingy doing there?

i thought it would be nice to have everything one might need while scripting all in one place in the menu. so the link to the documentation should go directly to whatever scripting documentation came with the gimp. bookmarks go to online sources of information.

i hope this clears things up. what do you think of the idea?

carol

Sven Neumann
2004-07-10 00:43:47 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

so the link to the documentation should go directly to whatever scripting documentation came with the gimp.

Is there any? And how would gimp know where it is installed?

bookmarks go to online sources of information.

For reasons I outlined already, bookmarks should be kept on the gimp.org web-site.

IMHO we shouldn't add more Help entries to the menus. There should be continue to be a single Help entry to get you to gimp-help. If people need help for a particular plug-in, the F1 key should get them there quickly. The help pages for the scripting languages can then point to a collection of links that is maintained on www.gimp.org.

Sven

Carol Spears
2004-07-10 06:05:12 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

On Sat, Jul 10, 2004 at 12:43:47AM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:

Carol Spears writes:

so the link to the documentation should go directly to whatever scripting documentation came with the gimp.

Is there any? And how would gimp know where it is installed?

i have read some documentation. it is on web sites more stable than our own.

bookmarks go to online sources of information.

For reasons I outlined already, bookmarks should be kept on the gimp.org web-site.

and i am certain that roman read this opinion and asked his question anyways.

IMHO we shouldn't add more Help entries to the menus. There should be continue to be a single Help entry to get you to gimp-help. If people need help for a particular plug-in, the F1 key should get them there quickly. The help pages for the scripting languages can then point to a collection of links that is maintained on www.gimp.org.

what does H stand for again? these links are more maintained that any gimp site ever.

carol