RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

issues re gimp-2.1.0

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

issues re gimp-2.1.0 William Skaggs 02 Jun 21:52
  issues re gimp-2.1.0 Sven Neumann 02 Jun 23:31
issues re gimp-2.1.0 William Skaggs 03 Jun 00:27
William Skaggs
2004-06-02 21:52:43 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

issues re gimp-2.1.0

Nice to see the first tarball of the new round come out. There are a couple of things I notice, though. First, the INSTALL file says:

2. You need to have installed GTK+ version 2.2.2 or better. Do not try to use an older GTK+ version (1.2.x), it will not work. GTK+-2.2 itself needs recent versions of GLib, Pango and ATK. Sources for these can be grabbed from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/. GTK+-2.x and friends can be installed side by side with GTK+-1.2. But this is incorrect, I believe -- GTK+2.4 is now needed.

Second, it is good that a strong warning about using a separate prefix appears, but I fear that people will nevertheless miss it and then be annoyed about having trashed their existing Gimp 2.0 installations. Would it be too obnoxious to alter configure.sh so that it does not work unless --prefix=xxx is explicitly specified?

Concerning the same point, it might make things less confusing if there is a suggestion of a good alternate prefix. My own thought is to use /usr/local/gimp-2.1 as prefix.

Best, -- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the KillerWebMail system at primate.ucdavis.edu

Sven Neumann
2004-06-02 23:31:58 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

issues re gimp-2.1.0

Hi,

"William Skaggs" writes:

Nice to see the first tarball of the new round come out.

Ughh, We are running on a temporary server and I wanted to let the mirrors pick up the package before announcing it here. You could have waited for the announcement at least :(

There are a couple of things I notice, though. First, the INSTALL file says:

2. You need to have installed GTK+ version 2.2.2 or better. Do not try to use an older GTK+ version (1.2.x), it will not work. GTK+-2.2 itself needs recent versions of GLib, Pango and ATK. Sources for these can be grabbed from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/. GTK+-2.x and friends can be installed side by side with GTK+-1.2.

But this is incorrect, I believe -- GTK+2.4 is now needed.

Fixed in CVS.

Second, it is good that a strong warning about using a separate prefix appears, but I fear that people will nevertheless miss it and then be annoyed about having trashed their existing Gimp 2.0 installations. Would it be too obnoxious to alter configure.sh so that it does not work unless --prefix=xxx is explicitly specified?

I don't think this could be done and I also don't think it's a good idea to fiddle with autoconf internals. People who install a development version with reading INSTALL or README (which both contain the warning) IMHO deserve to have their installation screwed up badly. And actually, there aren't many files clashing. gimp-2.0 will continue to work even after you installed gimp-2.1 into the same prefix. It's just compilation of plug-ins against gimp-2.0 that will break.

Sven

William Skaggs
2004-06-03 00:27:11 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

issues re gimp-2.1.0

Sven Neumann wrote:

Ughh, We are running on a temporary server and I wanted to let the mirrors pick up the package before announcing it here. You could have waited for the announcement at least :(

Sorry, it never even occurred to me that there might be such a problem.

Best,
-- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the KillerWebMail system at primate.ucdavis.edu