RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

questions about gimp2 dependencies

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

questions about gimp2 dependencies Carol Spears 02 Jun 19:41
  questions about gimp2 dependencies Sven Neumann 02 Jun 20:44
Carol Spears
2004-06-02 19:41:02 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

debian sid has given me some broken g* things. i was playing dselect games to try to get things to install correctly.

at one point, i attempted to install the gtk2 stuff i needed by requesting gimp2. this is the listing that prompted these questions and i understand that it could be debian specific answers.

asking dselect gave me a dependency list that was astounding compared to what i need to build the gimp from the cvs sources. i configure --disable-devel-docs.

all of that libgail and sax stuff is to build the docs? is that the only way for the documentation to work for special devises and the other accessibily issues?

is it gtk decisions or maybe does it go back to gnome decisions?

i was trying to make this web site so that we could document things as simply as possible. i "magically" found really good help for this (aka Helvetix and people to help him translate to me). my ultimate goal was to clean up the docs to build with the web site equally simply.

i had a really bad year in so many ways and it is difficult to find volunteer time when your life crumbles around you and you are fighting some surgery and . if everyone had been working as a team to fight the good war or whatever, someone would have prevented this from happening. it was not with the original goals as was explained to me by all the people who had been working on the gimp.

i was trying to build a life where i could have enough to get by on, make my own decisions about my environment; have people over to visit and travel around when something interesting came up. even have a little excess income to travel myself on. my idea was to talk to people with special computer needs. whatever, fonts; security; accessibility either the devise or the internet. and build it up again slowly.

someone somewhere should be embarrassed that the community distribution of gimp2 has so many dependencies. it was not supposed to be like that and anyone with half a brain who plays with that stuff can figure that out.

can someone explain to me what went wrong? accessibility should have never meant a lot of extra baggage. i cannot help but think that it all goes back to that problem with xhtml. "inline" should be an attribute only for . "inline" is not a commandment worth making in a list of markup rules.

i saw the self-definition in the kernel yesterday. right there where the license says that you can distribute it and copy it but not use it. (i also saw where they are mounting bios like it is a flash card, heh -- those kernel guys are really scary and nuts). the image tag problem is not a self definition problem but really does not use the power of xml.

i do not understand the reason that the sgml files get hauled around everywhere. i also understand that the old gimp developers had to "whore" themselves out to crappy software using in order to make gimp work for them. one i spoke to had to use micro$oft word (eek) to make the book i bought (from the company that does the most to publish the gnu software documentation also, which is one of those weird sad things i learned). at least this prostitution of values was for something that was honestly commercial. i bring this up now because it seems like new people have prostituted maybe not the gimp but its supporting software and not themselves for commercial gain.

i would like for someone to make this take on the situation wrong. i do not like what i see when i get gimp2 from debian. can someone explain it better so it does not appear as i see it right now?

carol

Sven Neumann
2004-06-02 20:44:32 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

debian sid has given me some broken g* things. i was playing dselect games to try to get things to install correctly.

at one point, i attempted to install the gtk2 stuff i needed by requesting gimp2. this is the listing that prompted these questions and i understand that it could be debian specific answers.

I guess you requested "gimp" since that's the name of the debian package that holds gimp-2.0 (at the moment).

asking dselect gave me a dependency list that was astounding compared to what i need to build the gimp from the cvs sources.

The debian package includes basically all plug-ins that we ship in the standard gimp tarball. For that reason it depends on a number of libraries that are optional when you are compiling from source.

all of that libgail and sax stuff is to build the docs? is that the only way for the documentation to work for special devises and the other accessibily issues?

No, there are no dependencies on tools to build docs. Building docs is part of the build process and a binary debian packages has runtime dependencies only.

So, let's examine where the dependencies come from. Here's the list of dependencies (obtained using apt-cache showpkg gimp):

wget aalib1
libart-2.0-2
libatk1.0-0
libbz2-1.0
libc6
libexif9
libexpat1
libfontconfig1
libfreetype6
libgail-common
libgail17
libgimp2.0
libgimpprint1
libglib2.0-0
libgnomecanvas2-0
libgsf-1
libgtk2.0-0
libgtkhtml2-0
libice6
libjpeg62
liblcms1
libmng1
libncurses5
libpango1.0-0
libpng12-0
librsvg2-2
libsm6
libtiff3g
libwmf0.2-7
libx11-6
libxml2
libxmu6
libxpm4
libxt6
slang1
zlib1g

And here's an attempt to break this up into dependencies of the core and plug-in dependencies:

Dependencies of the GIMP w/o any modules or plug-ins:

libc6 libart-2.0-2
libglib2.0-0
libgtk2.0-0
libatk1.0-0
libpango1.0-0
libfontconfig1
libexpat1
libfreetype6

Some other dependencies with associated plug-ins. Dependencies that are already required by the GIMP core have been omitted:

AA plug-in:

aalib1 libncurses5
slang1

Print plug-in:

libgimpprint1

Helpbrowser plug-in:

libgtkhtml2-0 libgnomecanvas2-0
libgail-common
libgail17
libxml2

SVG plug-in:

librsvg2-2 libxml2
libgsf-1

I don't think I need to explain that the png plug-in needs libpng and so forth...

If the debian gimp packages was split into smaller packages, some of this dependency nitemare could be avoided. But it would of course add some extra work for the package maintainers and I am not sure if it would be worth the hassle. Especially since most people already have most of these packages installed because they are needed by lots of other packages.

Anyway, I hope my little dependency charts helped to clear things up a bit. I am sure the dependencies could have been illustrated better, for example like this PDF that shows the (slightly broken) dependencies of gimp2 in darwinports:

http://www.opendarwin.org/~mww/dependencies/pdf/gimp2.pdf

Sven