RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

--enable-gimp-console... are you nuts?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

10 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

--enable-gimp-console... are you nuts? Carol Spears 18 May 19:02
  --enable-gimp-console... are you nuts? Michael Schumacher 18 May 19:12
   --enable-gimp-console... are you nuts? Carol Spears 18 May 21:29
  --enable-gimp-console... are you nuts? Dave Neary 18 May 19:13
   --enable-gimp-console... are you nuts? Sven Neumann 18 May 19:41
  --enable-gimp-console... are you nuts? Carol Spears 19 May 17:19
   --enable-gimp-console... are you nuts? Michael Schumacher 19 May 17:28
  --enable-gimp-console... are you nuts? Carol Spears 19 May 23:34
   --enable-gimp-console... are you nuts? Sven Neumann 20 May 00:44
    --enable-gimp-console... are you nuts? Carol Spears 20 May 02:52
Carol Spears
2004-05-18 19:02:53 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

configure: WARNING: --enable-gimp-console... are you nuts? ***
*** --enable-gimp-console is for crazy hackers only! *** The build will fail badly in the app/ directory. *** You have been warned ;)

what is up with this?

carol

Michael Schumacher
2004-05-18 19:12:18 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Carol Spears wrote:

*** --enable-gimp-console is for crazy hackers only! *** The build will fail badly in the app/ directory. *** You have been warned ;)

what is up with this?

AFAIK this is for a version of GIMP that doesn't require GTK+. At least, that's what I've been told when asking the same question.

HTH, Michael

Dave Neary
2004-05-18 19:13:53 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

Carol Spears wrote:

what is up with this?

--enable-gimp-console builds a gimp-console application which doesn't link with gtk+ at all. In theory, you can run a GIMP without any display (this is impossible in batch mode). It was never fully finished and so it doesn't work, and is for crazy hackers only. Thus the warning :)

Cheers, Dave.

Sven Neumann
2004-05-18 19:41:19 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

Dave Neary writes:

Carol Spears wrote:

what is up with this?

--enable-gimp-console builds a gimp-console application which doesn't link with gtk+ at all. In theory, you can run a GIMP without any display (this is impossible in batch mode). It was never fully finished and so it doesn't work, and is for crazy hackers only. Thus the warning :)

Right. But there's hope that we get this done for GIMP-2.2. At the moment it just simply doesn't link at all.

Sven

Carol Spears
2004-05-18 21:29:18 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 07:12:18PM +0200, Michael Schumacher wrote:

Carol Spears wrote:

what is up with this?

AFAIK this is for a version of GIMP that doesn't require GTK+. At least, that's what I've been told when asking the same question.

it is my opinion that leaving the word "crazy" there for too long, it becomes the norm and everyone gets, you know, bored.

perhaps we should unicode a different character which would be an apostrophe on top of a period. would adding a different unicode character be an easier way to make this crazy message look new and exciting without working the gimp developers too much?

maybe put something like sigrot onto the make file?

carol

Carol Spears
2004-05-19 17:19:07 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

hi,
On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 10:02:53AM -0700, Carol Spears wrote:

maybe we could change the text to read:

*** --enable-gimp-console will break make unless *** you make the following changes:

and then someone who knows what is going on could fill in those details.

carol

Michael Schumacher
2004-05-19 17:28:08 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Carol Spears wrote:

hi,
On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 10:02:53AM -0700, Carol Spears wrote:

maybe we could change the text to read:

*** --enable-gimp-console will break make unless *** you make the following changes:

and then someone who knows what is going on could fill in those details.

Instead of listing the changes, they should be done.

Michael

Carol Spears
2004-05-19 23:34:48 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

something should be done about it. change the spew or fix the linkage. i am thinking that there was a mistake made here where i live.

i said nothong, not nothing. did i send this message down the wrong pipeline?

carol

Sven Neumann
2004-05-20 00:44:10 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

something should be done about it. change the spew or fix the linkage. i am thinking that there was a mistake made here where i live.

I don't think there is anything we need to change here. You are using a nonstandard configure option that is strictly discouraged. We know that it doesn't work and we told you. We even plan to fix it eventually.

Sven

Carol Spears
2004-05-20 02:52:18 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 12:44:10AM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:

Carol Spears writes:

I don't think there is anything we need to change here. You are using a nonstandard configure option that is strictly discouraged. We know that it doesn't work and we told you. We even plan to fix it eventually.

you told so in email and on the irc. the very fact that i am occasionally reading the configure options alone is enough to assertain that it is not just developers reading this stuff.

i would like that the message resemble the facts. you type strictly discouraged in email but the configure spew sends a different message. one that looks like a lame message for as long as it has been there.

perhaps just pasting some of the email discouragements where it should be, in the configure --help spew.

you know, for the honest groupies and hobbyists like me.

carol