RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Spamcop problem

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Spamcop problem Dave Neary 18 May 10:21
  Spamcop problem Carol Spears 18 May 10:47
   Spamcop problem Dave Neary 18 May 11:02
  Spamcop problem Manish Singh 20 May 07:36
Dave Neary
2004-05-18 10:21:51 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Spamcop problem

Hi all,

I just sent a mail to a gimp.org alias, and it bounced with the following problem:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software (Exim).

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

01079@eit.iha.dk (generated from brix@gimp.org)
SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:: host mail1.iha.dk [130.225.184.39]: 554 Service unavailable; Client host [128.32.112.247] blocked using bl.spamcop.net; Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?128.32.112.247

128.32.112.247 is shill.xcf.berkeley.edu, which is presumably some kind of gateway for gimp.org mail. So getting onto spamcop's blacklist probably means that gimp.org mails aren't going to be too reliable for a while.

Does anyone know what's wrong with beta.gimp.org at the moment? It's mostly down, but it was up for a while yesterday evening.

Cheers, Dave.

Carol Spears
2004-05-18 10:47:13 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Spamcop problem

Salute again,
On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 10:21:51AM +0200, Dave Neary wrote:

I just sent a mail to a gimp.org alias, and it bounced with the following problem:

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:: host mail1.iha.dk [130.225.184.39]: 554 Service unavailable; Client host [128.32.112.247] blocked using bl.spamcop.net; Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?128.32.112.247

128.32.112.247 is shill.xcf.berkeley.edu, which is presumably some kind of gateway for gimp.org mail. So getting onto spamcop's blacklist probably means that gimp.org mails aren't going to be too reliable for a while.

Does anyone know what's wrong with beta.gimp.org at the moment? It's mostly down, but it was up for a while yesterday evening.

great. what does this mean about seemingly good information about cvs versions coming from gimp.org addresses?

carol

Dave Neary
2004-05-18 11:02:45 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Spamcop problem

Hi,

Carol Spears wrote:

great. what does this mean about seemingly good information about cvs versions coming from gimp.org addresses?

Presumably it means that your ISp doesn't use spamcop to block spam, unlike brix's university. When I said that they would be unreliable, I meant that it may be difficult to send mail to gimp.org addresses - since the ISPs/company servers/university servers may be using spamcop.

Cheers, Dave.

Manish Singh
2004-05-20 07:36:27 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Spamcop problem

Hi all,

The gimp.org postmaster address is a much more appropriate place for this sort of thing than the developer list. Next time, use the proper channels, please, so that things can come to my attention sooner.

Using spamcop is a pretty dumb idea for a university to do, but then again, the admins at brix's university have show themselves to be rather not so bright in the past.

What probably happened is an email with a forged from address that happened to be a spam trap got sent to an invalid gimp.org address, which generated a bounce message which got flagged as spam.

I've turned on initial verification of receivers to mitigate this. Note that it's not actually listed in the db anymore. So mails are reliable, and your statement was unfounded conjecture.

It's having some hardware or driver issues, which I've not nailed down yet.

-Yosh