RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Edit -->Copy confusion

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Edit -->Copy confusion Carol Spears 18 May 08:19
  Edit -->Copy confusion Dave Neary 18 May 09:50
   Edit -->Copy confusion Carol Spears 18 May 10:43
  Edit -->Copy confusion Sven Neumann 18 May 14:00
   Edit -->Copy confusion Carol Spears 18 May 17:18
    Edit -->Copy confusion Sven Neumann 18 May 19:19
     Edit -->Copy confusion Carol Spears 18 May 21:22
      Edit -->Copy confusion Sven Neumann 19 May 01:13
       Edit -->Copy confusion Carol Spears 19 May 17:25
Carol Spears
2004-05-18 08:19:43 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Edit -->Copy confusion

i have been having a problem with my last cvs version of gimp.

i got it after it changed to gimp-2.0. there is a problem with it.

i need the one without the Edit -->Copy bug i read about. i guess i need to get a version from after a certain date but from before it changed to that gimp-2.1 maddness i am glad not to be a part of.

as near as i can determine, i need to first, remember what you called it and remember if i saw it on the list and try to figure out the search words. this might involve reviewing a lot of somewhat embarrassing mail in which i get upset again.

1) efficient search words for my Edit-->Copy, Edit-->Paste View problem

2) a cvs command that will request a version from a calendar date and not only the version (as bex and i documented fairly well on wgo)

carol

Dave Neary
2004-05-18 09:50:43 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Edit -->Copy confusion

Hi Carol,

Carol Spears wrote:

2) a cvs command that will request a version from a calendar date and not only the version (as bex and i documented fairly well on wgo)

cvs up -D "yyyy-mm-dd HH:MM" gimp

You might prefer sticking with the gimp-2.0 branch, though

cvs up -r gimp-2-0 gimp

I usually have 2 copies checked out of CVS in different directories: cvs co -r gimp-2-0 -d gimp-2.0 gimp
cvs co -d gimp-2.1 gimp

That'll give you a CVS HEAD version and a stable branch version, in gimp-2.1 and gimp-2.0 respectively.

Cheers, Dave.

Carol Spears
2004-05-18 10:43:20 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Edit -->Copy confusion

well, salute maybe ....
On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 09:50:43AM +0200, Dave Neary wrote:

Carol Spears wrote:

cvs up -D "yyyy-mm-dd HH:MM" gimp

well, see. this is beautiful. thank you.

You might prefer sticking with the gimp-2.0 branch, though

cvs up -r gimp-2-0 gimp

you know, i forgot that people were fixing bugs in this version as well. instead of my rant about dejavu with weird bugs that seem more difficult to make accidentally than on purpose and thank you for being willing to work on the 2.0 branch as you are.

dejavu is disturbing even without a geek movie. perhaps i should search out the information in the Changelog to find the bugsmith?

I usually have 2 copies checked out of CVS in different directories: cvs co -r gimp-2-0 -d gimp-2.0 gimp
cvs co -d gimp-2.1 gimp

That'll give you a CVS HEAD version and a stable branch version, in gimp-2.1 and gimp-2.0 respectively.

okay, now you are showing off. nice.

better you had done this when i needed you to, but whatever.

thank you, carol

Sven Neumann
2004-05-18 14:00:07 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Edit -->Copy confusion

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

i need the one without the Edit -->Copy bug i read about

Would you mind to explain what bug you are refering to? If I remember correctly the only confusion about Edit->Copy was that I mistakenly used "Selection->Copy" in one of my mails.

Sven

Carol Spears
2004-05-18 17:18:08 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Edit -->Copy confusion

hello again,
On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 02:00:07PM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:

Carol Spears writes:

i need the one without the Edit -->Copy bug i read about

Would you mind to explain what bug you are refering to? If I remember correctly the only confusion about Edit->Copy was that I mistakenly used "Selection->Copy" in one of my mails.

when i Edit-->Copy from an image with a 400% view (partial view so imagine the scroll bars and the limited area showing) and Paste this layer to an image with a 25% view (imagine the smaller view where the whole image is in view) the 400% portion that can be seen is what gets pasted; not the whole layer that was being copied.

carol

Sven Neumann
2004-05-18 19:19:30 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Edit -->Copy confusion

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

when i Edit-->Copy from an image with a 400% view (partial view so imagine the scroll bars and the limited area showing) and Paste this layer to an image with a 25% view (imagine the smaller view where the whole image is in view) the 400% portion that can be seen is what gets pasted; not the whole layer that was being copied.

Are you sure? I cannot reproduce this, neither with gimp-2.0 nor gimp-2.1. And I can also not think of a way this could possibly happen. The displayed area is in no way connected to the selection. The part of the code that does copy and paste doesn't know anything about the GimpDisplay and it's scale ratio and offsets.

Sven

Carol Spears
2004-05-18 21:22:32 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Edit -->Copy confusion

On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 07:19:30PM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:

Carol Spears writes:

Are you sure? I cannot reproduce this, neither with gimp-2.0 nor gimp-2.1. And I can also not think of a way this could possibly happen. The displayed area is in no way connected to the selection. The part of the code that does copy and paste doesn't know anything about the GimpDisplay and it's scale ratio and offsets.

the fact that you cannot reproduce it is somehow assuring to me. not as reassuring as a bug report number or search words to more efficiently research it myself.

would screenshots be enough for you to believe i am having this problem? i am even stuck on the best way to show this problem as it really all could be created by me. believing my screenshots you would have to believe that i would never fake a problem with the gimp.

is there a more reliable way to communicate this to you?

carol

Sven Neumann
2004-05-19 01:13:28 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Edit -->Copy confusion

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

Yes, a reproducable test case. A detailed instruction on how to reproduce the problem.

Sven

Carol Spears
2004-05-19 17:25:41 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Edit -->Copy confusion

sorry for the long thread,
On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 01:13:28AM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:

Carol Spears writes:

Yes, a reproducable test case. A detailed instruction on how to reproduce the problem.

the version update that mr. neary suggested gave me a new gimp that does not have the problem. thank you.

sorry for the delay. it took longer to make gimp this time because (it seems) that inspite of the interesting warning, all --enable-gimp-console does is break make. a more honest warning would save time for honest users/groupies.

carol