RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Need some feedbacks about this plugin

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Need some feedbacks about this plugin Nicolas BENOIT 17 May 23:23
  Need some feedbacks about this plugin Stephan Menzel 20 May 11:25
   Need some feedbacks about this plugin Nicolas BENOIT 22 May 02:19
    Need some feedbacks about this plugin Sven Neumann 22 May 12:46
    Need some feedbacks about this plugin Stephan Menzel 22 May 18:15
Nicolas BENOIT
2004-05-17 23:23:20 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi!

I am currently working on this plug-in. I'd like to know what you guys think about it... It allows you to change the values of each color channel of each pixel of a layer using mathematical expressions. It nearly does the same thing as MathMap, except that it isn't as much powerfull and complex.

More about it: http://openair.free.fr/nbenoit/gimp-plugin-formulas.htm

I don't want to waste your time, anyway, a feedback would be appreciated. :)

Regards,
Nicolas.

Stephan Menzel
2004-05-20 11:25:01 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1

G'day!

On Monday 17 May 2004 23:23, Nicolas BENOIT wrote:

More about it: http://openair.free.fr/nbenoit/gimp-plugin-formulas.htm

I don't want to waste your time, anyway, a feedback would be appreciated. :)

I just had a look at it and I can see heaps of potential. I find the alpha channel modification option useful in particular. However, as it is now it is merely a prototype. It definitely needs docs and lots of examples, preferably build in. Just to click and play around a bit to get a feeling for the concept. Most of my first formlas just produced error messages. It did compile clean, but I had to install it maually. make install-bin didn't seem to work.
When are you planning a release?

Stephan

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFArHlzbv5p9h9J588RAmr+AJ4qTQNwTfAPKsk3eKMHxRnItcm1qACgmzUW f/NnSiTH9elRdnfn3QxsSvE=
=vz5N
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Nicolas BENOIT
2004-05-22 02:19:00 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi!
Thanks for your answer!

I find the alpha channel modification option useful in particular. However, as it is now it is merely a prototype. It definitely needs docs and lots of examples, preferably build in.

I am currently trying to write a good documentation, but it isn't that easy... As I am not a 2D graphist, I just don't know which examples might be usefull and how the doc should be written. I thought about templates for formulas, but I didn't add that to the plugin yet.

Just to click and play around a bit to get a feeling for the concept. Most of my first formlas just produced error messages.

What did you try to do first?

It did compile clean, but I had to install it maually. make install-bin didn't seem to work.

The target 'install-bin' isn't defined... Personnally, I always use the 'install' target. Well, I guess, I'll try to work this out.

When are you planning a release?

I don't know yet... When it's done... ;)

Regards, Nicolas.

Sven Neumann
2004-05-22 12:46:03 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

Nicolas BENOIT writes:

It did compile clean, but I had to install it maually. make install-bin didn't seem to work.

The target 'install-bin' isn't defined... Personnally, I always use the 'install' target. Well, I guess, I'll try to work this out.

AFAIK "install-bin" isn't a standard make target so if I was you I would stick to the standards and ignore the request to add it. Just add a note to the README or INSTALL file explaining how to install the plug-in.

Sven

Stephan Menzel
2004-05-22 18:15:58 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1

On Saturday 22 May 2004 02:19, Nicolas BENOIT wrote:

I am currently trying to write a good documentation, but it isn't that easy... As I am not a 2D graphist, I just don't know which examples might be usefull and how the doc should be written.

Well, just something that works, brings strange or useful results and is not too complicated. So that you can see at a glance, what's going on.

I thought about templates for formulas, but I didn't add that to the plugin yet.

Yes. Something like that.

What did you try to do first?

Well, once I saw all those text fields with letters in it I first changed 'g' to 'g=g+1' It produced an error.

IIRC there's a macro for that. But as long as you explain what to do, that should be OK for the development and beta phase. Later I would insert something. I imagine many people using gimp without necessarily having root privileges. And not all of them know (or want/should to know) about those technical details. I think this is the developer's job.

Greetings...

Stephan

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFAr3zBbv5p9h9J588RAj2zAKDH5EuyrniTDzKLIShSNyCuzfb+IQCfb87P jHcBPBMozXKFWjU2nDhxr4Y=
=I/TF
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----